Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I would imagine a lot of 905ers using the extension to get downtown,As it goes straight downtown.

I could prehaps, however I would imagine there are plans for a massive parking lot at Steeles I would imagine???

Sheppard was an errorenous project from day one in the vain of Sorbara-type monopolizing of transit finances and corporate embargo alotting certain private sector groups to coerce politicians to give this project the greenlight.

Corporate embargo?

To throw one more penny of hard-to-come-by transit windfall dollars on this subway line, especially through the lowest of low-density sprawl and a technically near-impossible bridge crossing that makes the work done east of Leslie Stn. look like child's play, is a ridiculous dream, emphasis on DREAM.

Lowest of low-density sprawl? Have you ever been there? The whole area's packed with apartment towers and townhouses, the existing line shows that subways bring redevelopment and intensification, and it's one of the busiest bus routes in the city.

Near-impossible bridge crossing? What are you talking about? Over the DVP? I really don't think a highway overpass or underpass is near-impossible!

I assume he means the bridge needed between Yonge and Bathurst to connect the Sheppard line to Downsview Station.

Heh, if that's impossible, how'd Sheppard get there...

CDL's suggestion could work just fine: have the subway pop out of the ground and run along the road bridge (tweaked to accommodate subways) before popping back under near Bathurst...it'd run straight across, with no change in elevation because the road bridge currently dips down as it crosses the Don. Then, build a new road bridge straight across the top of the old one, basically another deck.

Jesus Dentrobate, don't bust a gasket. I said myself that it'll probably never happen. I agree that there are many things that are of a higher priority than interlining Sheppard and Spadina. It was just a fantasy type thing.

I assume he means the bridge needed between Yonge and Bathurst to connect the Sheppard line to Downsview Station.

Precisely what I meant. Nice when people can read between the lines ;)! From what I've head the most expensive component to the $2 billion+ Sheppard Line was it's intricate crossing of the Don River, east of Leslie. So should we really allow history to repeat itself, on a 200m high suspended bridge connecting to zilch on one side nonetheless?

Lowest of low-density sprawl? Have you ever been there? The whole area's packed with apartment towers and townhouses, the existing line shows that subways bring redevelopment and intensification, and it's one of the busiest bus routes in the city.

Ah, no. The 84 is pitifully sparse in ridership and there's very little free land available with which to condoize the Beecroft to Wilson Hts area. Senlac, Bathurst North and Faywwod may in fact be among the Top 10 least used stations in the system. Okay maybe not that bad. I'll give you Bathurst, but Senlac's going nowhere no time soon if the 98 bus is any indication. Faywood might have a marginal daily usage from Wilson Hts. runoff and being fed routes 104, 105 and 117, but since these will still route to Downsview it'd become a white elephant in the vain of McCowan Stn in relation to Scarborough Centre.

Precisely what I meant. Nice when people can read between the lines ;)! From what I've head the most expensive component to the $2 billion+ Sheppard Line was it's intricate crossing of the Don River, east of Leslie. So should we really allow history to repeat itself, on a 200m high suspended bridge connecting to zilch on one side nonetheless?

Uh, Dentrobate, I'm quite sure where you heard this, but Sheppard cost $1 billion, not $2 billion+, and the Don River crossing cost no more than a tunnel. By far the most expensive single component was the Sheppard/Yonge interchange station.

Ah, no. The 84 is pitifully sparse in ridership and there's very little free land available with which to condoize the Beecroft to Wilson Hts area. Senlac, Bathurst North and Faywwod may in fact be among the Top 10 least used stations in the system. Okay maybe not that bad. I'll give you Bathurst, but Senlac's going nowhere no time soon if the 98 bus is any indication. Faywood might have a marginal daily usage from Wilson Hts. runoff and being fed routes 104, 105 and 117, but since these will still route to Downsview it'd become a white elephant in the vain of McCowan Stn in relation to Scarborough Centre.

Dentrobate, there's something in the world called network connectivity. Most people riding a Sheppard West extension aren't going to live along the route. The idea is to get people across the city without having to take endless transfers, and to get people off the Yonge line and on to the Spadina line. And if you're going to keep saying "in the vein of," it's vein not vain.

During the August 2005 rain storm, I stood at the intersection of Leslie and Sheppard and saw that the level of the Don River was actually above the bottom of the bridge. I would imagine that the lateral load on the structure must have been enormous. People on the trains probably had no idea they were traveling partially underwater.

Uh, Dentrobate, I'm quite sure where you heard this, but Sheppard cost $1 billion, not $2 billion+, and the Don River crossing cost no more than a tunnel. By far the most expensive single component was the Sheppard/Yonge interchange station.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5110.shtml

"East of Leslie station, the line passes through a bridge over the Don River East Branch. This bridge, which cost nearly $15 million to build, is a 60 metre long, completely enclosed box of concrete." :rolleyes:

Dentrobate, there's something in the world called network connectivity. Most people riding a Sheppard West extension aren't going to live along the route. The idea is to get people across the city without having to take endless transfers,

Hey, tell that to the brain trust that'd omit a subway stop at Centre-John in favor of a direct link to 3 or 4 condos at Bay Thorn. The thought alone that'd I'd even entertain of what practical use a Sheppard West extension would be to interconnectivity, should tell you I'm in favor of a subway link between the two legs of YUS at some point north of Bloor. The low-density, 90 percent immutable sprawl landscape however can no more vitalize daily station walk-in patronage than continuing the line even further west to the 400 industrial lands.

Having an objective, realist opinion about the fallacy of extending this subway doesn't make my points any less valid, and certainly not to the point of mockery over toMAYto/toMAUto grammatical errors.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5110.shtml

"East of Leslie station, the line passes through a bridge over the Don River East Branch. This bridge, which cost nearly $15 million to build, is a 60 metre long, completely enclosed box of concrete."

Yes, $15 million of a $950 million line (not $2.1 billion). A real dealbreaker. Hardly "impossible", either.

Dentrobate, I sometimes feel like you're to be a living, breathing example of "can't see the woods for the trees".

During the August 2005 rain storm, I stood at the intersection of Leslie and Sheppard and saw that the level of the Don River was actually above the bottom of the bridge. I would imagine that the lateral load on the structure must have been enormous. People on the trains probably had no idea they were traveling partially underwater.

There are people on the Sheppard line?

:D

I remember driving home during that storm (by driving, I mean sitting on Leslie Street, probably within view of where you were standing). Oh yeah, there was definitely some water above the bridge level.

As for dentrobate saying that there is "zilch" on the west side of the Don River at Sheppard....do you mean that there is zilch aside from the other half of our subway system?

It may never happen and that bridge across the valley may or may not be a challenge, but the benefits of connecting Yonge/Sheppard Station to Donwsview seem appallingly obvious. As bad as the Sheppard subway ending at Don Mills is, the failure to go west and connect with the Spadina line is its Achilles heel right now.

Back