News   Mar 28, 2024
 122     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 570     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 362     0 

androiduk's My Toronto

No one and no thing will ever convince me that tearing down SAM the Record Man and building that monstrosity Ryerson building is a good thing. It's ugly, takes a retail space away from the area (please, the only retail they're going to put in their is a Starbucks) and serves no purpose unless you go to Ryerson. And, it's ugly.

It's also a pretty good pre collapse and fire shot of the Hotel on the south side.

A saucy pic today. Motion condo site at Bay & Dundas.

mo.jpg

Sad the Canary's gone. I keep kicking myself that I never bothered to eat there while I had the chance. :(
You didn't miss much. The place was a time capsule and it's a very cool building but I don't know anyone who ever went there specifically for the food. It was competent but unremarkable - a little on the greasy side, even. All the same, I must have had several dozen toasted bacon and egg sandwiches there over the years that I had a studio on Mill St., just south of the Canary.

Back on topic - great photo series! All Toronto, all the time.

The south side of the AGO addition looks like it's covered in a permanent blue tarp. Everytime I look at it I anticipate it's removal and expect to see hidden glass. The area adjacent to the bottom right corner of the glass section looks odd. It appears as though it's bulging. Maybe that's where Rob Ford's ice cream is being hidden while he's on his diet?

Maybe that's where Rob Ford's ice cream is being hidden while he's on his diet?

It's where the dreams and wishes of "the Ford Nation", voters who think you can run and fund a city like this while cutting taxes, are stored; a happy, wistful land with prancing unicorns and leprechauns who fart endless yay. :)

It's where the dreams and wishes of "the Ford Nation", voters who think you can run and fund a city like this while cutting taxes, are stored; a happy, wistful land with prancing unicorns and leprechauns who fart endless yay. :)
aren't you the guy who tore a raw strip off me for suggesting that building expressways in the city was folly?

are you always so needlessly bitchy?

answering my own question: no, you aren't, i've read lots of your stuff, but the above post has to be the worst example of political trolling i've seen in a while, and i'm surprised i took the bait

As near as I can figure, that truck has been there since 1997, which I believe was the 25th anniversary of City TV. Below is some more info from blogTO.

Theres a plaque in there that reads: " Pigeon resting place courtesy of Ron Reed" along with a box that contains a bottle of scotch and mementos.
The truck was put up for the 25th Anniversary. It was a close call when they found the original truck in a scrapyard near Glasdstone minutes before getting crushed into a cube.

citytvtruk.jpg

Last edited:
As near as I can figure, that truck has been there since 1997, which I believe was the 25th anniversary of City TV. Below is some more info from blogTO.

Theres a plaque in there that reads: " Pigeon resting place courtesy of Ron Reed" along with a box that contains a bottle of scotch and momentos.
The truck was put up for the 25th Anniversary. It was a close call when they found the original truck in a scrapyard near Glasdstone minutes before getting crushed into a cube.

What's the story behind 299 Queen St. W? Was the building originally uniform on all sides? It appears that it was intentionally ravaged, decades ago.

aren't you the guy who tore a raw strip off me for suggesting that building expressways in the city was folly?

I wasn't even responding to you. So, what, you've been looking around for an excuse to pick a fight with me, and this'll do? Now that's what I'd call trolling.

And since you asked, it is possible to champion the kind of transportation infrastructure that is, as little as the good folks downtown care to admit it, necessary for the maintenance of their lifestyle, without actually being some arch conservative. I've lived on and around the 400s for decades and I'm simply more pragmatic about it than a lot of the people here. Or so it seems to me.

Front St. between York & Yonge is basically one giant construction zone. Royal York renos,Union Station makeover,Front infrastructure,L Tower and Backstage.

frontst.jpg

Is this an HDR shot, by the way? If it isn't, I'm impressed with the work your camera does; if it is, it's one of the most adroit uses of the technique I've ever seen.

Back