Toronto 170 Spadina | 46.94m | 12s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

What's with this fiasco456 poster copy pasting comments?
The bottom floor better be all retail with a small access point for the apartments.

I know some people will feel that highrises marching up Spadina will kill the atmosphere of the street but I had pointed out about 6 months ago that Spadina all the way up to College seemed like an area that was being overlooked by developers. I think a certain degree of gentrification is appropriate for this street to bring it into the 21st century.

^ The TD bank at the SE corner of Spadina/Dundas is moving a couple blocks south soon. If they can acquire the neighbouring properties I think that corner has redevelopment potential. I also remember seeing a (ugly) proposal for the empty theatre building attached to Dragon City (south of it) a few years ago. Not sure what happened to that proposal.

I know some people will feel that highrises marching up Spadina will kill the atmosphere of the street but I had pointed out about 6 months ago that Spadina all the way up to College seemed like an area that was being overlooked by developers. I think a certain degree of gentrification is appropriate for this street to bring it into the 21st century.

Especially the Spadina College corner.

One word: Chinatown.

There'd probably be more of an outcry were anything potentially (or actually) "heritage" to be involved. Which is not the case here; so, only the hardcore heightrophobics would object--especially given that it's 17 floors, not 37 or 57...

Wallman Architects with developer being Triwin International Developments

170SpadinaRendering.jpg

It will sure freshen up that section of Spadina, but I'm getting a bit tired of boxes-with-a-bit-of-balcony-alteration as the height of architectural innovation in Toronto.

Wow!

Now let's clean up the rest of Spadina.

With the exception of a few botched projects from the eighties (that hideous white plaza with the HSBC and the condemned basement) most of Spadina is just great the way it is. Hands off Chinatown and the eclectic mix of shops and historic buildings. It doesn't need 'cleansing'.

Last edited:

Back