Toronto 388 King West | 146.3m | 33s | Allied | Hariri Pontarini

Yep that was indeed what I / Allied were referring to.

Now personally I believe they are a little bit to too optimistic regarding this project and don't think it'll effectively be in play for a while.

They focus will likely remain on QRC and 171 Front, which I can see being leased out fairly quickly, due to the great location.

Also, they mentioned they got rid of the retail planed for the site, so now this one is closer to 700,000. But that's extremely aggressive for King and Peter, there are no buildings close to that size in that locale.

I was just going to say that this is massive for office space in this area. at least all these new condo owners will have somewhere new to go work at :D

Allied was also examining a mix of buildings on site, including two towers - one office and one residential. These would be a shorter than what Automation Gallery wants and thus would fail to address his singular concerns about building height.

People attending the community meeting for this site expressed an interest for more office and retail space in any redevelopment. The appeal for living downtown and being able to walk or take transit for a short ride to work is very attractive. It would appear that there is an emerging view that there may be too much condo intensification taking place, and that there needs to be a better building mix. This would include more diverse retail along the streets that would house stores and services that could address the needs of the area residents, as well as the attractions that make the area attractive to visitors.

Of course these are urban development details that go far beyond a mere blinkered obsession of building heights.

Allied was also examining a mix of buildings on site, including two towers - one office and one residential. These would be a shorter than what Automation Gallery wants and thus would fail to address his singular concerns about building height.

People attending the community meeting for this site expressed an interest for more office and retail space in any redevelopment. The appeal for living downtown and being able to walk or take transit for a short ride to work is very attractive. It would appear that there is an emerging view that there may be too much condo intensification taking place, and that there needs to be a better building mix. This would include more diverse retail along the streets that would house stores and services that could address the needs of the area residents, as well as the attractions that make the area attractive to visitors.

Of course these are urban development details that go far beyond a mere blinkered obsession of building heights.

Wait a minute, Allied REIT, area dwellers, and most likely you want a 700-800 thousand sq.ft office complex here, and then there are the same people including you, that want it short....how is that possible at this location.:confused:

Wait a minute, Allied REIT, area dwellers, and most likely you want a 700-800 thousand sq.ft office complex here, and then there are the same people including you, that want it short....how is that possible at this location.:confused:

Just so you understand how the process works, Allied proposed the 700-800,000 sq. ft. complex, not the residents of the area. They were responding to a presentation.

If by short you mean falling into the guidelines of the area, then some people have expressed interest as the initial proposal presented to them conformed to those guidelines. If it is split into two towers, conforming to those guidelines is very achievable.

This contrasts with your desire to have a building that merely sticks out above others for the sole reason of sticking out above others.

Really, you should come to the community meetings sometime if your so interested. You could learn something.

I'm glad residents and form members (at least some) alike see the need for more office development throughout the core ...

Unfortunately, the catalyst for such development isn't necessarily the same as what drives all the residential development, economics play a huge role here. Yes the city can interfere but for them to successfully attract development on a large scale would cost more then any politician would likely be willing pay.

Office Building (current Shopper Drug Mart @ King & Peter St)

I am sure UT members who were at Councilor Adam Vaughan meeting tonight like I was, will correct me if I am Wrong or obtain more info after the meeting since I could not hang back.

Adam stated that a proposal was to come forth shortly, calling for the replacement of the Shopper Drug Mart on the north-west Corner of King and Peter St. No height or who the developer maybe was announce.

Adam is calling for more employment for his ward as it goes hand in hand with all the new condos being built in the area now.

I agree with Adam 100% as too many office spaces are being lost to condos.

I was at the meeting tonight as well, and yes he was referring to that Allied Reit proposal at 388 King/82 Peter Street. Looking forward to seeing more details on that one emerge as well. I too agree that the area needs a proportional emphasis on more office space to go hand in hand with condo development.

Here is another one that needs the blanks filled....eitherway this looks like good news for the Toronto office market

388 KING ST W
OPA / Rezoning 12 144710 STE 20 OZ Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Mar 28, 2012 --- --- --- ---

29-storey office tower. Building at 388 King to be "retained."

Hahaha, You're the best fedplanner....i will help you out and post it for you:D

OPA / Rezoning
To construct a 29 storey office tower with retail at grade. Total gross floor area of 68,422 sq. m. The building at 388 King St West is retained. The building at 82 Peter St will be demolished.

Application Number 12 144710 STE 20 OZ Application Status Application Submitted
Planner Name
Phone Number Macdonald, Lynda H.
(416) 392-7618 Status Date Mar 28, 2012
Community Meeting Date --- Date Received Mar 28, 2012
Statutory Meeting Date --- Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 67,216
Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 0
Lot Size (sq m) 3,509
Proposed Residential Units 0
Proposed Storeys 29

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=82+pet...5V+1P8&t=m&z=17&panoid=-UiqNzNk2V-bP1RVwIGXFA

Last edited:

Back