News   Apr 16, 2024
 646     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 465     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 826     1 

Sapphire Update, out-of-business (Stinson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CASS:

What I was getting at was... the stepped layers will work to break up the "box", but they need to mimic the "real" terraces to achieve that "escheresque" idea.

The placement of the layers will create the continuity of stairs that will amuse the eye.

What may appear too busy in a massing study, can look great in reality.

Forgive the crap render, but this hints at what I mean. Note that a little turn in the terraces helps to "sell" the idea and creates an interesting "curve" out of straight lines.

last.jpg

My two cents worth is that those who are calling for a simplified stair effect below the upper floor terraces are right; if the uppermost setbacks are to be consistent, then the stair effect below needs to mirror that. I like 3Dementia's latest plan: its simplicity has a wholeness to it, and it has elegance while still retaining a contemporary edge.

For it to truly be contemporary though, maybe some inspiration can come from Jean Nouvel's Agbar Tower in Barcelona. I'm not suggesting a slavish rip-off, but if you can show Harry some pictures of it (see the current edition of Architectural Record), then maybe some exterior treatment such as a more varied combination of clear and various shades of green coloured glass could provide the tower with a real dazzle.

I'd also look at giving the uppermost setbacks a "log cabin" effect (with a series of cubes stepping back on each floor to provide multiple separate (hence more private) terraces as opposed to the 45 degree anlges now pictured... just as another option.

Hmm. That's five cents worth.

3Dementia:
Thanks for the clarification. I like it, but I think all those edges might be a bit much for Harry.

interchange42:
Thanks for the opinions. I've seen pictures of the tower you speak of and can't say I'm terribly fond of the design, though the window colours etc give an interesting effect. Definitely something to consider.

Interesting designs but I think a simpler shaft would look nicer (only personal taste here).

On a side note, I like the top of the building with the terraces and the setback. It looks like a modern interpretation of the classic NYC-style deco setback. Cool. Given the uniqueness of this set back is it possible to illuminate it to make it stand out on the nightime sky?

^ I don't see why not but I don't think they'd light the top as a whole, rather leave it to the residents to press the on or off switch.

I'll be honest, I don't really like the initial rendering. Somehow all the improved renderings shows too much of an influence from the Trump Tower. I think it would look much better in blue than green. Overall, I liked the previous rendering (the one which got rejected by City Council better. Harry has 2 options. Either Try to go for a more appealing rendering on the current site. If he's got ambitions to still go beyond 80 stories, sell the land, and purchase another lot of land where he may have a shot at getting 80+ stories approved. However, spillover effects could lead to loss of potential buyers if he chooses to buy a new lot of land. Feel free to share your thoughts.

Great renderings.

If you make the steps at the top larger, it would lessen the 1980s post modern feel. Larger blocky steps - maybe assymetrical - would seem more "Toronto modern".

Alternatively, if you want to preserve the angle at the top, you could preserve the angular sides and have inset balconies - which would end up looking pretty 1970s (think the lakefront side of the Harbour Castle condos). But they could appear like larger versions of the vents at the top of this tower with the right materials. The edge of the inset balconies could also curve down instead of being a straight angle. The doors and windows would be inset, so the doors and windows would not curve. The grid pattern at the edge would provide uniformity to the design.

Chesterfield-House-01_315.jpg

Thanks officedweller. Actually, I've already thought up something very close to that image you posted, though I haven't done any work on that one yet. If I do, I'll post it for comment.

This is the one I've been working on today. The top has a kind of (unwanted) broken-tooth look at the moment though. If you cover the top with your hand it'll give a better idea of what I'm going for.

AllGlass01-un.jpg

Again from a different angle and a bit of colouring.
AllGlass02-un.jpg

Cassius:

Has Stinson thought of any other design ideas? To be honest, for someone who constantly talks about how mundane the city is, I'd expect much better.

I think the overall design of the building is what they believe is maximized density and nothing more really. I wouldn't be surprised to see the overall design changing to something more pleasing but up to this point, that's all that has been sent over to me by the team. Whatever it is in the end will probably not go outside the 'spacing limits' of the current design. At least, that's my take on it.

If you want to shop around for cool skyscraper designs, check out Simtropolis. A lot of members from that site make fantasy skyscraper add-ons for Sim City 4. Most of those fantasy buildings look great, and they also look so real that they could be built in real life.

www.simtropolis.com/

Click "BAT files" under ST Exchange to see the add-ons.

I think the part where the tower is at the highest point i.e. the part where the atrium would be should be all lit up at night to really show the tower off.

Cassius, that last design rocks, I'm going to just go ahead and trash the one I was working. Harry, if your reading, that design has the most merit, simple yet sleek. Don't go overboard with un-needed accents. If you come up with an attractive Tower that stands out, not sticks out, it will sell itself.

Good work Cassius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back