71     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, it means that Rob Ford has made it to the United States news, not just GTA news or Canadian news. It also puts Toronto in a negative light for the rest of the world because of Rob Ford.
Doesn't look mainstream. Not sure why a US sportscaster commenting on politics would be relevant to me.

What channel broadcasts his show?

Doesn't look mainstream. Not sure why a US sportscaster commenting on politics would be relevant to me.

Until recently, when he quit, Olbermann used to have his own nightly show on MSNBC that had over a million viewers.

But Keith Olbermann, and how influential he is as a media personality, is irrelevant to the larger story. The point is that awareness of Rob Ford has spread beyond Toronto, beyond Ontario and even beyond Canada. It doesn't intrigue me that Keith Olbermann will spread the word about Rob Ford to a US audience; what intrigues me is how much of a f*ckup Rob Ford has to be in order for Keith Olbermann to even get word of this. When was the last time a Canadian municipal politician had any international press coverage?

Ford_Halloween.jpg

I found this on FB and it made me laugh. I'm not sure who to credit, but it looks like it's from the Toronto Star

I'd argue that the mayor of Toronto *should* get international press coverage every now and again, but obviously we'd be better off if the circumstances were better than they were here.

When was the last time a Canadian municipal politician had any international press coverage?

Toronto got plenty of good international press during David Crombie's mayoralty.

I wonder how Ford is behaving in Mexico represent'n? Although thankfully he is not scheduled to open his mouth (I think just accepting a flag), perhaps he might take the opportunity to use that moment to inform the world that Toronto doesn't want any more immigrants.

I agree that "the rest of the world" is a bit of an exaggeration but Mr Ford's antics as "The fucking Mayor of Toronto" and his record as a Councillor (swearing at the Leafs game and saying he wasn't there until photos emerged) are starting to be known outside Toronto and now outside Canada. It is NOT good for the image of our City and I fear that more 'incidents' will occur in the next 3 years. While I certainly object to most of his "POLICIES" (and do not think most are likely to make our City better) it is his behavour that is really so damaging to the image.

It was actually business cards. He handed out his own business cards and then started to abuse the people to whom he had handed his business cards, and after he was thrown out he evidently was so drunk that he forgot that he had handed out his business cards to the people he had abused, so he lied about being there because he thought nobody would have known his name.

Speaking of business cards, where was Rob Ford the other night that he gave away so many business cards that he had to order a whole bunch of gold-plated, twice-as-expensive business cards from his own company?

For the record, Ford-trolls, nobody I know thinks Ford didn't win the election. We're just surprised that people are stupid enought to have elected him with all his shit (i.e. wife-beating, racism, violence, alcoholism, criminal record, school dropout, sub-average intelligence, etc.) having been fully exposed to the public long before he ran for mayor. I don't hate Ford for being elected, I hate all of you for electing him.

Roberto Fords is an intelligent con serve a tiv , He drove drunk, then got the munches and ate lRTs for lunch, while talking on the celly phone , giving the middle finger, stopping at a red light jumping out of car and rubbing of bike lanes with eraser. Drives away to avoid Gays and les he grumbles about traffic blaming it on immigrants for flooding his football town! farris wheels and mega malls will make us more like Chicago says Doug e howser. docter tries to force a suppository up Torontonians bums but for some odd strange liberal reason they got there panties tied in a knot, huh who woulda thought?

Obviously, people are out for blood. Ford might have not used the 'b' word, but he did use the 'f' word, and that still demonstrates a lack of caution (and learning) on his part.
My point was that just like the CBC apparently did, people so desperately wanted anything to hold against him - and this was so delicious, after all - that they didn't bother to verify it was even true.

While he did use the f-word, I think we can agree there's a big difference in context/severity between "This is effin ridiculous" and "I'm Ron effin Ford".

My point was that just like the CBC apparently did, people so desperately wanted anything to hold against him - and this was so delicious, after all - that they didn't bother to verify it was even true.

The CBC would only be at fault if they fabricated the source (a very serious breach). It is their job to report allegations...not verify them . It will then be their job to report a verification, if there is one.

The allegations have nothing to do with the CBC or THH22M. To suggest they do is to support a red herring.

I wonder how Ford is behaving in Mexico represent'n? Although thankfully he is not scheduled to open his mouth (I think just accepting a flag), perhaps he might take the opportunity to use that moment to inform the world that Toronto doesn't want any more immigrants.

Being in Mexico, more likely.....he might take the opportunity to use that moment to inform the world that Toronto doesn't want any more illegal immigrants..lol:D:D

The CBC would only be at fault if they fabricated the source (a very serious breach). It is their job to report allegations...not verify them . It will then be their job to report a verification, if there is one.

The allegations have nothing to do with the CBC or THH22M. To suggest they do is to support a red herring.

Journalists do have an obligation to verify allegations as much as possible. Otherwise, you're the National Enquirer.

That said, it sounds like CBC had enough independent reports of the 911 call that they felt it was a solid bet for a story. Should they have waited and got on-the-record comments from Blair and others? That's hard to say, especially because it seems unlikely that anyone would want to comment on the story before it blew up.

Last edited:

You dont think at this point the CBC has a responsibility to either put up proof to back up thier side of the story, or issue a retraction? I think any serious journalist (and *especially* the CBC given its crown corporation status) would have the moral (if not the legal) duty to do so. To let the story fade into history as-is reduces the CBC to no better than a supermarket tabloid rag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back