Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

"Showy" I get that, yes, as it relates to the people - I don't think it competes with or overpowers us like the Garnier and it isn't showy in that sense - mostly it's a neutral-toned vehicle for us to be our best in and we don't have to compete with gold paint and red velvet and decorative Classical columns...).

I can't blame you for your stance, it's no fun to be upstaged by flamboyant classical architecture.

I thought the "jigsaw" end of the podium was far more sculptural and interesting before... the windows' arrangement as well as the stacking look much better in this rendering... in fact, it was one of my favourite touches that I felt was very flattering to the whole PoMo aspect of things

couldnt disagree more... that night rendering makes that south facade look rather boring. The updated one groups 4 floors together instead of 2 and makes use of more windows which are of a couple different shapes. The cinder block look of the original is also uninspiring, though the updated version does not show enough detail to confirm that the masonary cladding will change. I'm not sure if its just the different times of day depicted but the new render seems to imply a white colour to the podium while the night version looks gray, also an improvement if this is a substantial change.

The percentages can be misleading, depending on whether they're talking about percent of total units, percent of units "released" for sale (i.e.; they might only actually be selling 25 of the 40 floors right now), or percent of the total value of the units (so that the big units count for more than the shoeboxes)

Developers really need to be held legally accountable for factual disclosure with this sort of thing. In a changing market where some projects are at risk of getting shelved, this becomes especially critical to a buyers' decision. It's hard to believe this isn't a legal enforceable obligation.

Of course it does get complicated when floors get added or removed due to city approvals....

Yea I thought it was low too. A little bit disheartening actually. Given the downtown Markham projects sellout in about 5min it seems ...

Granted this is a huge building ... probably equivalent to all the downtown Markham condos built so far :) (i.e. all 3 or 4).

Developers really need to be held legally accountable for factual disclosure with this sort of thing. In a changing market where some projects are at risk of getting shelved, this becomes especially critical to a buyers' decision. It's hard to believe this isn't a legal enforceable obligation.

As far as any legal process - enrolments take place with the Tarion Warranty Corporation and any financial taxation obligations are tracked through the CRA. Accurate sales data for projects is tracked by firms such as Realnet & Urbanation.

As far as any legal process - enrolments take place with the Tarion Warranty Corporation and any financial taxation obligations are tracked through the CRA. Accurate sales data for projects is tracked by firms such as Realnet & Urbanation.

This doesn't address my point.

My point is, marketers aren't held accountable for giving inaccurate sales data to prospective buyers, who are forced to rely on anecdotal sales info rather than facts.

Last edited:
Although Bayside is bringing in some neighbours across the way it feels like a slow process.

I think Monde would have benefitted from having a couple close neighbours next to it released for sale at the same time. That way contruction would be taken care of more or less all at once, for a few lots around, and so Monde wouldn't be perceived as being isolated.

Having some boozeries, clubs, theatres, hole-in-the wall eateries, upstarts and retail going in now would also be a big incentive. For the whole district, actually.
I don't think much has been released about plans for what's going to happen just north of Corus, or on the north side of Queen's Quay. I hope it actually turns out to have some fun and oompfh to it, and to not be too sanitized. Now if we can just get the dedicated ROW in...!

Last edited:
The problem with the Eastern Waterfront is that it's developing without any tourist attractions, amusements, entertainment, nightlife or anything that will attract outsiders. That wouldn't be an issue if it was in Scarborough but in downtown Toronto, on the waterfront, I think it's a mistake. We need more attractions on the waterfront for tourists and Torontonians. I don't want to see a Cityplace or Fort York neighbourhood on the waterfront or any other part of the downtown core. Toronto needs more large scale attractions. I'm still waiting for a modern art gallery and a city of Toronto museum. Christ, even Regent Park is getting an arts & culture centre, along with an aquatic centre. You would think the waterfront would be an even higher priority, just due to its location and tourism potential.

Last edited:

Back