News   Mar 28, 2024
 466     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 387     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 740     0 

Cabbagetown

Word on the street:

the underdown is closed. Seems the owner had some personal issues which led to him not being able to keep the place going. Too bad, that was a nice patio.

The space is already leased out to Children"s Book who will be taking over the basement as their storage space.

The flying beaver is going to close. So is the deal zone...The LCBO is said to be moving south to somewhere in that strip of stores. Not sure how that's going to pan out (maybe a few places won't get their leases renewed, and then some walls come down?).

The owner of the starbucks building also owns the rest of the block till deal zone and is looking to create a multilevel LCBO which I think is a welcome change from the crappy run down store we have... They are also looking at incorporating a large parking pad in the back... Details are sketchy but they might be looking at going underground or even one or two levels above...

Will keep and eye and see how this progresses...

The space is already leased out to Children"s Book who will be taking over the basement as their storage space.

The owner of the starbucks building also owns the rest of the block till deal zone and is looking to create a multilevel LCBO which I think is a welcome change from the crappy run down store we have... They are also looking at incorporating a large parking pad in the back... Details are sketchy but they might be looking at going underground or even one or two levels above...

Will keep and eye and see how this progresses...

I can see I'm not needed on this board anymore. :(

Joking, of course. Thanks for the info, Addy!

I can see I'm not needed on this board anymore. :(

Joking, of course. Thanks for the info, Addy!

It's all about sharing the information! You should come by the meeting tonight at St Peter's about the park... Details are listed above...

^ If these rumors are true it looks like we could lose Gourmet Burger which would be unfortunate since there are no other good places on Parliament to get a quick meal. Hopefully GBC would relocate to another location on Parliament.

It also sounds like that entire block is going to be razed and an all new building erected. If this is the case I hope the new building will be in keeping with the Cabbagetown character and not another box like was built at the Starbucks location.

It would be a shame to lose Gourmet Burger. Do we need a bigger LCBO? We've got the big one at Maple Leaf Gardens with all the parking you'd need.

What was the meeting at St. Peters about?

There has been quiet the stir over the past two weeks about Winchester Square Park and the boxes that have been placed there...

There's a community consultation taking place at St Peter's Church today and residents are asked to attend and voice their opinion.

You can find more information about the park here
http://www.friendsofwinchesterpark.org
Ah, now I see what it's about. Who owns that park? If it's city owned then the public should have a say on the planters. If it's private property then the owner should be held responsible for any illegal activity.

It would be a shame to lose Gourmet Burger. Do we need a bigger LCBO? We've got the big one at Maple Leaf Gardens with all the parking you'd need.

What was the meeting at St. Peters about?

GBC was for sale last year and am not sure if it was sold. Apparently, all the leases there have a demo clause in them. I don't think GBC will be gone rather moved into the new building. I would imagine they would incorporate street level retail with LCBO as an anchor tenant.

Ah, now I see what it's about. Who owns that park? If it's city owned then the public should have a say on the planters. If it's private property then the owner should be held responsible for any illegal activity.

The park is city owned and the community garden is being started there with permits from the city. We are just against how they have designed it. Community gardens are great but they need to be designed with safety in mind and not take over a 1/3 of the park in an area already starved for green space.

We had a massive community clean up yesterday and had over 40 people come and help. I will be posting the before and after shots tomorrow on our website at www.friendsofwinchesterpark.org

I was just assaulted for the first time ever in Toronto. It was a sort of glancing blow to the back of my head/shoulder. It didn't even knock me off balance, but 30 minutes later I am starting to feel quite a bit stiff and sore in my neck. I was on Parliament street walking and a man I had just passed did it. He appeared drunk, not stumbling, but he was not able to walk straight. I looked back to see him, ready to maybe have to fight. I first noticed he was several inches taller (maybe 6.4), but then it was obvious he looked rather frail and in nowhere near in as good as shape as I am. I opted to just keep walking. I thought about calling the cops, but thought they wouldn't be able to do anything, even if I hung around until they showed up. Was that the right decision?

I count my blessings that this was the first ever incident in 7 years in Toronto, during which time I have taken hundreds of walks through the most sketchy and isolated parts of downtown, often very late at night. I even made many treks through the old Regent Park, late at night, coming home from friend's houses. I seriously never thought the first incident would be in broad daylight around dozens of people.

Last edited:
^ sorry to hear about your assault.

If you have a good description of the assailant it might be worth your while to contact police and give them a report. They may have a good idea who to look for if he is a regular menace in the neighborhood.

Where exactly on Parliament street did this happen? Many of the Stores have surveillance camera's so the assailant may have been captured on video.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Definitely should have called the cops, or just called out to one of the dozens of police bicycle and car officers passing down Parliament.

By doing nothing, this guy is now emboldened to strike again, and next time it may be a more vulnerable person, perhaps a child or senior.

It's up to us all to keep Parliament and CT safe. Sort of an informal neighbourhood watch.

Last edited:

Back