Toronto The King East | ?m | 15s | Lamb Dev Corp | Core Architects

^good news as they have tried a few time to demo them. Their heritage value is pretty much history though.

I've always loved this building and have long been concerned about it, especially after the collapse of the neglected Georgian row-house on Shuter a few years back. I circled it during a thaw about a month ago and there was water pouring in from the roof through a broken window. It was a sad sight.

Noticed in the latest C.G. that BJL's "the King East" (sorry mod's couldn't find the thread) is advertising "from 149,900" which is even cheaper than Fly condos' base price.

More price reductions coming to other sites, imho.

Interesting observation UD ... I noticed that the CG ad states studios are available and none are listed on KingEast's website, so chances are he's done the same as FLY ... new floorplans that include studio space of probably ~350SF.

Yes, maybe in Hamilton

I've been looking for an investment property and when I noticed there were units for $149000 I checked it out. The new studio units are only 310 square feet. I can't believe anyone could live in something this small. The price psf is $480. It goes down to $410 psf on some of the bigger units. They are saying 55% sold which does not seem much higher than 6 months ago if the earlier posts in this thread are correct. It's a good location and the psf price is pretty low. but I'm not sure it will get built.

^Many poor ppl live quite comfortably in SRO's in Vancouver's DES, and have for many years. I lived in a SRO that was 200SF quite comfortably for 1 year...included mini kitchenette and bathroom/shower: I loved it!

310SF seems tiny if you think 1500SF suburban homes are "normal" and come from a materialistic or inflexible background.

I could live quite happily in a 310SF apartment, as long as I get to redesign the kitchen and bathroom, design my own custom furniture, etc.

Whatever. The building is not exactly exactly geared towards the poor either. I'm sure these will be picked up by investors at the hospitality end of the rental market or combined with larger suites. I don't see any being owner occupied at their current size.

You know, it actually is interesting and helpful to me to hear that someone has actually lived in a very small space and enjoyed it. I couldn't picture 310 sq ft. Its the kind of information/response I was hoping to hear, because it might actually help aid a decision in whether it is plausible to invest in a space that small. What was completely unnecessary, illogical and in this case completely factually incorrect was the second part of the post which basically accuses me of having to be from the suburbs or insulting calls me 'materialistic' just because I can't imagine living in 310 sq ft, which by any account is a very small unit, and one that many people would find too small. I should not have to declare anything about my personal life, but for the record I live in a downtown condo that is 805 sq ft and think its perfect, but have lived in a 630 sq ft place too and that's as small as I would personally go. I would never live in the suburbs and have always loved being downtown, am not particularly materialistic, and am really offended that I have to listen to some jerk with no information make assumptions about me and openly insult me just because I dare to speculate that 310 sq ft might be too small for someone to live in. I find this forum very useful for getting info on new projects, but there is this undercurrent of hostility from some members that I find very offputting.

I had a bachelor in Spire - 33 Lombard, 350 sq ft without balcony. I loved it and I did not have any problems living there. it was for a short period of time, but I enjoyed the time there, nice location, finishes. I bought it like 2 years ago for $147000 ($420 per sq ft) and I sold it last year for $186000 ($531 sq ft). It was a good investment considering the short time that I had the unit. you can rent those bachelors for $1.050 easily, which will cover all your expenses if you want to keep it renting for a long term investment.

I had a bachelor in Spire - 33 Lombard, 350 sq ft without balcony. I loved it and I did not have any problems living there. it was for a short period of time, but I enjoyed the time there, nice location, finishes. I bought it like 2 years ago for $147000 ($420 per sq ft) and I sold it last year for $186000 ($531 sq ft). It was a good investment considering the short time that I had the unit. you can rent those bachelors for $1.050 easily, which will cover all your expenses if you want to keep it renting for a long term investment.

I believe that's an aberration for re-sale and rental pricing since Sp!re is probably a more desireable building than most.

Most newer non-luxury buildings still rent for ~$2.25-2.50 PSF (no parking).

I'm interested in this building because I recently fell in love with King East for some reason. Does anyone have any idea what two bedrooms are currently going for? I tried to get a price list but the dudes are ignoring me.

carturo, thx for the perspective.
urbandreamer, I'm glad you clarified it wasn't intended as a personal attack, but i maintain that if parts of society, like myself, find 310 too small to live in, you shouldn't just call us inflexible surburban materialists. In any case I truly HOPE there are many people who WOULD like to live in a space like this if I buy in. maybe you can be my tenant and make it look bigger with lots of built-ins. :)

Back