Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

Is there enough space at the foot of the CN Tower for a decent aquarium?

If we're going to build one it shouldn't be a half-assed job of one. It should be a destination outside of visitors to the tower.

And I'm saying this as someone who loves animals and would pay to see them-- but still only IF it's a decent sized aquarium.

16,265 sq metres is approx 175,000 sq ft... seems large enough for a decent-sized aquarium.

For reference:
Chicago's Shedd Aquarium is 422,000 sq ft.
Vancouver's Aquarium is 100,000 sq ft.

My preferred location would be at the foot of Parliament... lots of land and it's right on the water. :)

16,265 sq metres is approx 175,000 sq ft... seems large enough for a decent-sized aquarium.

For reference:

My preferred location would be at the foot of Parliament... lots of land and it's right on the water. :)

I guess the question is how much of that 175,000 sq. ft will be aquarium and how much will be other "mixed commercial uses".

Two Toronto Landmarks Together...

I just had an idea which seems so logical to me. Why don't we put the proposed Toronto Museum in the grassy knoll beside the tower. Think about it, the main tourist attraction in Toronto right beside our city's museum (and the future railway museum/roundhouse). You could even connect them. That would be great, I think.

I just had an idea which seems so logical to me. Why don't we put the proposed Toronto Museum in the grassy knoll beside the tower. Think about it, the main tourist attraction in Toronto right beside our city's museum (and the future railway museum/roundhouse). You could even connect them. That would be great, I think.

I think Old City Hall would be a better choice for location and historic relevance. It's in a prefect location, right on the subway.

I guess the question is how much of that 175,000 sq. ft will be aquarium and how much will be other "mixed commercial uses".

I have the feeling this will be a 3rd rate aquarium and a pretty small one at that, after you cut out the retail, restaurants and other non-aquarium uses. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 100.000 or less. That would be a big mistake. Few people will pay to see a 3rd rate aquarium, I know I wouldn't. You would think people would have learned something about building cheap, 3rd rate attractions from Olympic Torch, or whatever it was called. Build it cheap, and they WON'T come.

I have the feeling this will be a 3rd rate aquarium and a pretty small one at that, after you cut out the retail, restaurants and other non-aquarium uses. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 100.000 or less. That would be a big mistake. Few people will pay to see a 3rd rate aquarium, I know I wouldn't.

Big, Iconic, World Class would be nice, but where is the money to build such a complex in Toronto.:confused:

I'd like something akin to Valencia's City of Arts and Sciences to house an aquarium. That complex is mind blowing.

Yeah, it would be nice in and around the Ontario Place area. Just might look a bit awkward by the CN Tower.

valenciaCityOfArtAndScience1.jpg

That entire complex was built to revitalize a failed area of Valencia (which used to be the river's old riverbed but once diverted it was abandoned wasteland).

That's how you revitalize neighbourhoods! A perfect mix between big blockbuster public works and housing/offices. WaterfrontToronto has half the mix there, there REALLY needs to be something impressive planned for the little chunk of East Bayfront not yet on the books.

For reference:

sorry I misspelled the size earlier it is actually in fact 18, 265 sq metres!!

The logical place for an aquarium is the waterfront (not the CN Tower). I mean, it doesn't hurt to have it right beside the tower, but like others have said, apart from being a nice area, the central waterfront is missing that jewel in the crown.

I think if they're creative they can create an aquarium that will enhance the CN Tower experience. I think it's a matter of using the space creatively and finding ways to make people excited about what they're seeing, which can certainly be done no matter the size of the place. Also, think of the juxtaposition of being in the 2nd highest observation deck in the world and then minutes later being "under the sea". Could make for some cool ad campaigns. Ultimately, my biggest fear is that they'll over-price the place, or decide not to provide discounts for one when you purchase admission to the other. They need to be realistic about this because it looks really bad on a tourism sector when high expectations aren't met and attractions are forced to close down.

Also, it's safe to say a Toronto Museum is not going to be here, nor on the waterfront. The City has already said that they'd like to see Old City Hall become a museum.

I'd like something akin to Valencia's City of Arts and Sciences to house an aquarium. That complex is mind blowing.

Off topic, but that overwrought, carnivalesque, Calatrava ego-trip has no place here. Some of his poorest, loudest, lamest work to date.

Is it suppose to be a dolphin? :p
That's one ugly dolphin.

Yea no thanks ...

But something distinctive, sure.

Back