News   Mar 28, 2024
 420     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 296     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 322     0 

Hilton Garden Inn (Peter & Adelaide, Easton Group, 16s, P+S)

I think I like the new roof line better than the weird flap on previous renderings.

I can just imagine what would have been said in the meetings between the architect and the owner

"whats that thing on the roof?" "It's a design element to help get your project approved and then we can just remove it after."

It looks like a HoJo's just off Tennessee Interstate 666. This should be stopped. It's horrific.

Well, it isn't *that* bad...except that upon close inspection, it overwhelms that old loft building at Adelaide + Peter, one of those classic joints for 80s art parties and what have you...

They removed black trim and windows from a large portion of the building as well as a rooftop design element in exchange for a white concrete roof, more white concrete down the side of the building, and more red brick on the back. This is definitely a downgrade. The whole look of the original was defined by the window elements which have been scaled back considerably.

"adds richness to the streetscape" "sculpted" "innovative building systems" - excuse me while I throw up. They took their suburban template and stuck it downtown. And then took off all the windows. This is probably the worst building downtown this year.

Looks a lot better than the parking lot that it replaced... besides, the way it's sandwiched in there, who's going to notice it's shortcomings. Outside of this forum, I don't think anybody cares.

Yes,t he previous design was better (although the entry was not great) but the new design is not too offensive and will probably blend in the area nicely (and may just add a modern element to the surrounds).

looks like standard infill to me...kind of like a squished version of Hotel Intercontinental on Bloor that Page + Steele also designed. Honestly, I doubt anyone will notice this building once it is complete.
...and as always the blank walls are required by code for walls built on or close to property lines.

looks like standard infill to me...kind of like a squished version of Hotel Intercontinental on Bloor that Page + Steele also designed. Honestly, I doubt anyone will notice this building once it is complete.
...and as always the blank walls are required by code for walls built on or close to property lines.
True. You'd think they'd want windows in a hotel though. All they'd have to do to meet the code is knock off a few feet on the sides.

Luckily, the first two storeys seem to be the best part of the building.

This had better not interfere with the original Burrito Boyz location.

\/\/\/ Oh, ok. I've been passing the construction site for this every day.

Thats going to be one hell of a place to stay. They better sound proof it very well otherwise the neighbouring clubs will be a deterrent for guests.

Sometimes I wonder if the people here actually ever set foot in the club districts. Sure it gets a little hectic on the streets for 2 or 3 nights of the week, but unless the walls are paper it'll be barely noticeable from inside. It's not that bad. Besides, I'd assume people staying at a hotel in the club district would be interested and aware of the clubs, thereby making this hotel quite convenient.

Back