Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

You are missing the point. People shouldn't compare Toronto to New York because Toronto is nothing like New York, and frankly it shouldn't try to be. I lived in Toronto for 5 years and now live in NYC.

it depends on what you're comparing. Toronto is similar to new york in many ways, and different at the same time,

and this isn't Toronto-living. this is just one building, a trend hasn't started yet,

and awesome shots from the Sheraton! this is a big city building! fantastic Bay Street canyon. Trump = Wayne Tower.

First time I've noticed those grey textured panels

trumpn2.jpg

Just a tad bit late lol!!
i actually never thought about the back of the quarter onion dome when i seen the renders....

me neither, i don't think any of the renders showed the back of the dome... i thought it was gonna be a 2-piece frame.

and yes, i know what Android is talking about. the grey area looks very textured.. it's almost like a carbon fiber...

The upper portion of this building is killer... sharp-looking, and iconic.

Given the sea of flat roofs that surround it I wonder to what degree this little flourish of a dome might be destined to become a somewhat iconic/integral part of the Toronto skyline?

Given the sea of flat roofs that surround it I wonder to what degree this little flourish of a dome might be destined to become a somewhat iconic/integral part of the Toronto skyline?

Let's hope it encourages more crowns and some new creative ideas.

it depends on what you're comparing. Toronto is similar to new york in many ways, and different at the same time,

Not that I like NYC that much, but Toronto really has very little similarity with New York. different sizes, different density, different life style. Different way of thinking. Too different.

Last edited:
I think Manhattan living is as close as it gets, but whatever. Can we get over the NYC comparisons already?

haha, wishful thinking. In reality, Toronto will never be over the NYC comparison.
Just because the very tiny 500 m X 500m CDB gets more high rises doesn't make Toronto any closer to what Manhattan is now. Let's try to drop the silly comparison.

I think Trump Tower is a mixture of throwback New York skyscraper and Atlanta PoMo. - It certainly makes Bay Street at street level seem very New Yorkish.

I think Trump Tower is a mixture of throwback New York skyscraper and Atlanta PoMo. - It certainly makes Bay Street at street level seem very New Yorkish.

when you say Bay St, you mean Bay street from Front to Queen? That I agree with. North of Queen, not at all.

He obviously means Bay Street right at Trump Tower, considering he referred to it, and not to North of Queen at all.

Is that grey textured panelling on the curtainwall going to be carried up and onto the back of the dome? (i.e.; are we currently seeing what the backside of the finished dome is going to look like?)

Also, will the finished panelling on the backside of the dome be built out so as to help hide the access stairs? Or are those stairs just temp until some kind of a telescoping window-washing rig gets installed?

To me the dome has always invoked a little bit of the art deco flavour which I like, especially around all the modernist box-like towers of the Financial District- not that there is anything wrong with them.

Back