News   Apr 17, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Now. August 2010.

DSC_0548.jpg

since this picture was recently revived, i hope you won't mind a related photo

for anyone taking a stroll along this section of yonge street, on the west side, across from mount pleasant cemetery, look for this historic plaque just beside the sidewalk, at approximately the lowest point in the road, where yellow creek (now buried) used to cross yonge

yellow-creek-historic-plaque.jpg

photo did not really turn out too well but i thought i'd post it as i am sure many of you historians will recognize which old map was adapted for this plaque

for anyone taking a stroll along this section of yonge street, on the west side, across from mount pleasant cemetery, look for this historic plaque just beside the sidewalk, at approximately the lowest point in the road, where yellow creek (now buried) used to cross yonge

<snip>

photo did not really turn out too well but i thought i'd post it as i am sure many of you historians will recognize which old map was adapted for this plaque

OK now you really have me intrigued. I have to go see this map and take a photo of it. I should post it here.

There's a series of those plaques along Yonge, keyed in with the numbered locations.

It seems it might have a plot name for the neighbourhood I spent 30 years in. Felix Armstrong? I've never even heard of that. Just Moore Park.

Felix Armstrong? I've never even heard of that. Just Moore Park.

it's actually Philip Armstrong, apparently the owner of that particular lot at the time of the map (1878 i believe)

see South East Part of YORK map

you can easily confirm that this is the map used to generate the plaque, but some photo editing has been done, for example to wrap the name Mount Pleasant Cemetery into the space available

it's actually Philip Armstrong, apparently the owner of that particular lot at the time of the map (1878 i believe)

see South East Part of YORK map

you can easily confirm that this is the map used to generate the plaque, but some photo editing has been done, for example to wrap the name Mount Pleasant Cemetery into the space available

Ironically I got this post reminder email when I was actually at the plaque this morning, taking pictures of it.

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

Last edited:
They are indeed the same plaque. (And go to those other locations: they're still there, unless some short-sighted works people trashed any of them)

thanks for the kind words, goldie

i trust i'm not breaking any forum rules by posting a link to another article on my site about pottery road from last year...

http://rudy.ca/going-down-old-old-pottery-road.html

some of you may be familiar with this aerial photo from 1942 in the toronto archives --
https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1231/f1231_it1981b.jpg

you might have to save it to disk and rotate it 180 degrees, but you can easily trace pottery road from the river north to the CP main line, where it takes a very hard left and climbs up to join the southern end of bayview

http://rudy.ca/going-down-old-old-pottery-road.html

some of you may be familiar with this aerial photo from 1942 in the toronto archives --
https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1231/f1231_it1981b.jpg

you might have to save it to disk and rotate it 180 degrees, but you can easily trace pottery road from the river north to the CP main line, where it takes a very hard left and climbs up to join the southern end of bayview

Wow, that is a fantastic picture. It's confusing trying to map things out though. I always wondered why there was a lower dip in the hill on the west side of Bayview at Pottery. I didn't know it continued up the west side. I'd like to walk that some day. Some things I noticed from this picture:

- Thorncliffe Avenue, where my first house is/was, was built. I wonder what the Don Valley looked like back then from that lookout perspective. This was before the re-routing of the river for the DVP.

- I'm trying to map out where Bayview would be, and how the current construction for the Hydro project would demonstrate the remnants of Pottery Road North. If it runs up to the Loblaws/Drug Store parking lot, where is it demonstrated in this picture? It seems it runs west towards Bayview Heights, whereas my understanding is that the run along the north side of the main line went east.

- The Brickworks had a road that shot directly over to Todmorden Mills. I never mentally connected the two.

- The river layout in this image would explain some of the strange "bridgways" at Todmorden. I never understood the back 40 at that place, but it's now obvious they were structures to accommodate the river doing it's strange route through the property. And it also explains why the swampland which I used to play in/around as a kid, is there. Remnants of the real river.

- The beginnings of Mt. Pleasant Cemetery. The circle is there. The Gulf/Petro Canada isn't.

- Looks like Pottery Road South emptied north of Mortimer.

Back