Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Are we really stuck with this dreary mosaic floor ?

images

I find nothing dreary about that mosaic pattern, nor the colour scheme. Looks wonderful, as far as I'm concerned. Glad it's being renewed.

Dreary, US? Using ochre, russet and chartreuse? Though both the Concourse Building and the Jacob panels are lovely (can't comment on the Versace floor; I didn't shop there in the 80's), their eras and contexts are entirely different from that of the 1905 Canadian Bank of Commerce Building. Now, a more apples-to-apples comparison between late Neo-Classic mosaics could be with those created by McKim Mead & White in the Boston Public Library (which are quite stunning) and those by Darling & Pearson here in Toronto (not that I want to re-hash the "Central Park vs. High Park" argument from the University Avenue thread). Even by those standards, the Commerce mosaics are nothing to be ashamed of, remembering as well it was a branch bank, not a head office, nor a major cultural institution.

Well, for the same reason, the mosaic floor in the lobby of 205 Yonge is similarly underwhelming. Anyhow, I suppose we should be thankful that they were both built pre- the golden age of linoleum. But I was thinking more of an upgrade - to the level of the ROM Rotunda's mosaics, for instance - with an eye to showcasing the Toronto creative arts community and what they can do nowadays. After all, the building is being repurposed, functionally, and sent forward into the world as something brand new. Goodness knows there's money to be made from developing sites like this, and opportunities to plough some of it back into the decor - one of the few worthwhile things about the Trump tower is Stephen Andrews's mosaic, after all.

With the amount of new builds going up there can't be any shortage of opportunity for the Toronto arts community to ply its trades. Let's respect the work of previous generations where possible. It is in increasingly short supply.

The building's a palimpsest anyway, and has previously been the site of significant art rather than banal interior decor ( Tadashi Kawamata's Toronto Project 1989 installation, organized by Mercer Union ), and there's no reason why it shouldn't continue in that vein.

I remember a time when this area was considered a little sketchy and potentially dangerous after working hours, void of nightlife, and just plain drab.

That time was 5 minutes ago.

Good luck spec-u-vestors. This 'hood will not hold up during any slowdown.

It brings me no satisfaction to point out that I was quite accurate in my assessment of this area and project.

http://www.thestar.com/topic/eatoncentreshooting

Except this wasn't after working hours and is an extremely rare occurrence in this area, let alone the city. If you think it's dangerous in the Eaton Centre, you are imagining things.
Quit your fear-mongering.

It brings me no satisfaction to point out that I was quite accurate in my assessment of this area and project.

http://www.thestar.com/topic/eatoncentreshooting

i know several people who live in that area - including in the pantages tower - they love it and they feel safe. they are all shocked at how unusual the shooting in the eaton centre was. they also talk about the incredibly vibrant quality of life in downtown toronto compared to other cities....

Do I have to post that article about the recent shooting in the parking lot of Sherway Gardens again? Shootings happen everywhere. Even at the most upscale malls in the city.

Are you joking?

Honestly, if this event forever defines the area for you, then you better run and hide already. Downtown is a bad place for you.

Do I have to post that article about the recent shooting in the parking lot of Sherway Gardens again? Shootings happen everywhere. Even at the most upscale malls in the city.

Wouldn't buy there either. Not a great area to live. Hence my point.

Back