News   Mar 28, 2024
 68     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for April 27.

Then. King and Jarvis NE corner. 1990-ish.

518.jpg

Now. October 2011.

519.jpg

Last edited:
What strikes me most, in addition to the new builds, is the improvement that has been made to the red brick commercial row by removing surface paint and allowing the architecture to express itself ( though the new banners could be eliminated, perhaps ... ). It's great to see this process of recovery taking place all over town now.

I think the old picture is more 1990-ish than 1980-ish; the row's already been restored by then (but the surrounding condo not yet built)

What strikes me most, in addition to the new builds, is the improvement that has been made to the red brick commercial row by removing surface paint and allowing the architecture to express itself ( though the new banners could be eliminated, perhaps ... ). It's great to see this process of recovery taking place all over town now.

I'd wager that for every building expressing itself with newly cleaned brick, another is smothered by EIFS.

On the other hand, the awnings since added to the Brooke Building are (mildly) unfortunate. It's an indication of how hard it is to keep commercial signs under control on historic buildings. But important. (IMO, remove the paint from the Yonge St. strip and regulate the commercial signs, and like magic you'd have a brand new "historical district".)

Last edited:
Yeah, not. Hmm, urbantoronto has no strikethrough characters. So we can't just correct our mistakes, we must erase their history, Orwell fashion.

OMG...my wife and I honeymooned there for three days in December of 1975. It was all we could afford. We stayed in room 435. Every time the heat in our room kicked on the whole room vibrated for a minute or two. We saw Danny and the Juniors in their show on the Sunday night.

I live in the neighbourhood. I had no idea it was ever a motor hotel.

And if we go back to the "bad old days" of the mid-70's when the block could have been demolished:

2007-09-02-1153-57.jpg

Thanks thecharioteer. By the way, if anyone wants a truly old school army surplus experience, get thee to the one on the NW corner of Queen and Jarvis. I'm guessing it's been there for 50 or 60 years from the looks of the place. Not really conducive to browsing; the staff seem to keep an eye on you; but they're still friendly. A couple of years ago I scored a genuine new unissued Canadian Forces issue 'Marathon watch' for $80. Plastic case and nylon strap but Swiss movement and the luminous dial was just something else to behold.

Last edited:
Heya, it's the weekend, and not soon enough.

The City of New York has put up their official photo website but good luck getting in, the traffic is horrendous. I haven't been able to myself. Here's the link anyways:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/gallery/home.shtml

The UK's Daily Mail has put up a selection. Veddy sorry I couldn't say it was The Times... Here's a link as a sort of consolation to you all: [Be careful, there are a couple of gruesome crime scene photos, but's that Gotham for you.]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...York-City.html

One "bad old days" vestige still extant in the "former" photo is the General Welding School...

"One "bad old days" vestige still extant in the "former" photo is the General Welding School..."
QUOTE adma.

I rather thought of those as "The Good Old Days" in that,

men were men, and women darned the wool safety blankets.

(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Back