Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

A better idea might be to use the finch west LRT as a shuttle between the go train, (possibly at woodbine) and the terminal, there is already plans to bring the finch and eglinton LRT's into Pearson.

That's my preferred solution.

2 km? That's would much more than double the existing length. The system just isn't built for that distance; and the frequency would plummet - particularily when only one train is in service..
Then why not simply have a shuttle bus from Malton GO Train station to take people the 2,000 meters? It could be done as a one year trial to see if folks will even consider taking the train from Union to Pearson, before spending millions of dollars of public funds to build a dedicated rail system.

Right now the Malton train doesn't run often or at all off rush our peak. I know this because I used to work at Derry Rd and Airport Rd and lived downtown. So I thought, great, there's a train station right next to my work. But no.... there's no train from Union to Malton in the morning, and there's no train from Malton to Union in the afternoon/evening.

So, change the GO Train schedule for the Malton run so that the trains run all day to Union and back, but for the new runs skip all the stations between Union and Malton (perhaps one in between), and then have a luggage-capable shuttle take the passengers from Malton to Pearson. This seems like the perfect solution. I mean come on folks, there's already a direct rail line to Union station right next to the airport. Let's use that first.

Last edited:
How come Toronto is still talking about using outdated diesel driven locomotives for a link to the Airport,while Vancouver is building a new $2-billion Canada Line subway, linking the Vancouver Airport with Granville Island, downtown and the waterfront;

Last edited:
According to that detailed report, this is not just about a $20 Union-Pearson express link, but will also include upgraded all day GO service as well, which is what Westonites wanted. I don't really see a problem with this plan. And with extra tracks being laid, a future DRL subway could become part of the picture as well.

From what I read sounds like a reasonable plan. Blue22 to the airport from Union Station, with stops at Dundas West and Weston (hopefully they will implement the HK station model with airport checkin at Union Station and luggage checkin). An upgraded GO line - with potential transfer at Weston Station (so GO is subsidized - but airport is not). The potential addition of DRL would probably eventually extend out to Weston (my hope). Sounds like Weston will be better served than most of Toronto - so what the X are they complaining about now :eek:

How come Toronto is still talking about using outdated diesel driven locomotives for a link to the Airport,while Vancouver is building a new $2-billion Canada Line subway, linking the Vancouver Airport with Granville Island, downtown and the waterfront;

In part, Vancouver is hosting an Olympics. If Toronto had landed the 2008 games, I have no doubt we would already have an airport link.

How come Toronto is still talking about using outdated diesel driven locomotives for a link to the Airport;
Because that's the infrastructure in place. Unless we want to spend billions of public money in a deficit economy on adding electrified rails throughout the system, we need to use what we've got. To that end, GO Transit's new locomotives are modern, fuel efficient and economical to operate. Check them out at http://www.gotransit.com/PUBLIC/en/news/media/newMP40.htm

And they're not diesel driven locomotives. They're diesel-electric, meaning that the diesel engine is creating electricity for the electric motor to drive the wheels. It's essentially the same as my nuclear-driven dishwasher at home, in that nuclear power from Pickering is used to power my dishwasher. The only difference with the train is that it brings its own electric generation capability along for the ride. Sure, the train's creating pollution through the creation of electricity, but my dishwasher is creating nuclear waste.

Last edited:
It's essentially the same as my nuclear-driven dishwasher at home, in that nuclear power from Pickering is used to power my dishwasher. my dishwasher is creating nuclear waste.

How essential is a dishwasher?
If that is the case everyone should just get rid of them,whats wrong with the oldschool method.

Last edited:
And they're not diesel driven locomotives. They're diesel-electric, meaning that the diesel engine is creating electricity for the electric motor to drive the wheels. It's essentially the same as my nuclear-driven dishwasher at home, in that nuclear power from Pickering is used to power my dishwasher. The only difference with the train is that it brings its own electric generation capability along for the ride. Sure, the train's creating pollution through the creation of electricity, but my dishwasher is creating nuclear waste.

yes, you have a diesel engine generating electricity to power electric motors. i think nuclear generated electricity is alot cleaner than diesel generated electricity. but of course, such an electric train would be powered by electricity generated from all kinds of sources. all kinds of methods feed the grid.

with the cost of diesel the way it is, i wonder what would be cheaper in the long run. diesel electric? or just electric? then there's all other kind of factors such as maintenance, etc.

From what I read sounds like a reasonable plan. Blue22 to the airport from Union Station, with stops at Dundas West and Weston (hopefully they will implement the HK station model with airport checkin at Union Station and luggage checkin). An upgraded GO line - with potential transfer at Weston Station (so GO is subsidized - but airport is not). The potential addition of DRL would probably eventually extend out to Weston (my hope). Sounds like Weston will be better served than most of Toronto - so what the X are they complaining about now :eek:

Complaining about John Street closing. Its the fact that a diesel train will pass through Weston every 3 1/2 minutes with the ARL, GO Transit, Frieght trains, and VIA trains coming through. Even a future planned VIA link from Toronto to Montreal will ultimately pass through Weston!
Its the fact that there are schools and churches and senior homes right next to the tracks. Yet no one seems to care.
Its okay, people in Parkdale, Liberty Village and other areas in Toronto are starting to take notice.
This line needs to be electrified and buried through most of Weston.
If we are going to spend $800 million, then build it right the first time.

Community Meetings

Metrolinx, an agency of the Ontario Government, is conducting a six-month Transit Environmental Assessment. As part of the process, Metrolinx will be holding six Community Engagement Open Houses.

The proposed service expansion will increase rail service on the eastern boundary of the ward and impact many residents in both the West Bend I encourage you all to attend one of the meetings in our ward to find out more information. Below I have highlighted some aspects of the project and noted the consultations dates in West Bend and Parkdale. and Parkdale.

For more information, please visit info@metrolinx.com.

GO Rail Georgetown South Corridor Service Expansion project includes:

Adding 3 new tracks from the airport spur to Dundas Street and 4 new tracks to east of Strachan Avenue in the 25 kilometre rail corridor Malton and Union Station

* Widening of 14 bridges and eliminating all level road crossings on the CN line in the Georgetown South Corridor, including new grade separations at Strachan Avenue, Denison Road and Carlingview Drive
* A covered depressed rail corridor through Weston that maintains Church and King streets at their present grade and a pedestrian overpass at John Street
* Relocating the GO Weston Stop from John Street to Lawrence Avenue and the construction of a Weston Station to accommodate GO trains and Union-Pearson rail link trains
* Modifications to the Bloor GO/Dundas TTC station to accommodate GO and Union-Pearson rail link trains
* Consideration for the Gateway Hub proposed in the Metrolinx Regional Transportation at the proposed Eglinton Light Rail Transit crossing line for GO trains
* Designing for a potential future GO/Union-Pearson rail link station at Woodbine

GO Rail Georgetown South Corridor Service Expansion project will provide the following new services:

Two-way, all-day local service between Toronto and Georgetown, and between Toronto and Bradford

* All-day express service between Toronto and Brampton
* New peak period service between Toronto and Bolton and between Toronto and Guelph, and
* Establish a new rail link between Union Station and Pearson International Airport.

Community Engagement Open Houses

Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 11am – 8:30pm

The Lithuanian House, 1573 Bloor St. W, Toronto, ON

Monday, February 9, 2009, 11am – 8:30pm

Direct Energy Centre - Salon 110, 100 Princes’ Blvd, Toronto, ON

Other meeting dates can be found at:

http://www.metrolinx.com/gsse/community/open_house.aspx

Complaining about John Street closing. Its the fact that a diesel train will pass through Weston every 3 1/2 minutes with the ARL, GO Transit, Frieght trains, and VIA trains coming through. Even a future planned VIA link from Toronto to Montreal will ultimately pass through Weston!
Its the fact that there are schools and churches and senior homes right next to the tracks. Yet no one seems to care.
Its okay, people in Parkdale, Liberty Village and other areas in Toronto are starting to take notice.
This line needs to be electrified and buried through most of Weston.
If we are going to spend $800 million, then build it right the first time.

Diesel trucks drive past me all day long in downtown Toronto.

yes, you have a diesel engine generating electricity to power electric motors. i think nuclear generated electricity is alot cleaner than diesel generated electricity.
So, if the trains had on-board nuclear generation to power electic motors, you'd be happier? Of course, nuclear power doesn't actually generate electricity, but in fact boils water to turn the turbine. So, basically we'd be going back to steam engines.

Reminds me of the Ford Nucleon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon

You live by the 401, the biggest polluter out there!!

As I've said before, the question is do we want improved service to begin in 3 to 5 years or in 10 to 15 years?

If we want the first option then we have to use modern diesels...

Back