News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 589     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 885     0 

Corktown

Does anyone know what's happening with the houses next to Trinity Church?

399-403KingStE.jpg

Dates back to 1844 but I don't think it's a heritage site, as most houses are not in Corktown.

Hey Everyone,

I've been enjoying reading through this thread and seeing what is happening in and around Corktown. If this has been posted already I apologize, but Little Trinity is presently raising funds to completely rehabilitate the building at 399 King St East. Here is a write up from their website.

399 King St East
A major focus of the plans has always been the vacant building at 399
King Street East. It not only has the potential to provide us with the
additional space we need, but will be an attractive addition to the
neighbourhood with its enclosed lawn and courtyard.
Plans call for a two-story building which retains and restores the historic
King Street façade. On the ground floor will be a meeting room, reception
area, administrative offices, and small kitchen; the second floor will
accommodate a large multi-functional conference room, a kitchen and
reception space overlooking the adjacent park. In the basement, there
will be a dedicated gathering space for youth, as well as lockers and
showers for guests and needy visitors, and essential storage space.

The church is presently in the fund raising stage and while a definite start date has yet to be determined, hopefully work will start next year sometime.

http://littletrinity.on.ca/files/a-call-to-renewal-brochure.pdf

Hey Everyone,

I've been enjoying reading through this thread and seeing what is happening in and around Corktown. If this has been posted already I apologize, but Little Trinity is presently raising funds to completely rehabilitate the building at 399 King St East. Here is a write up from their website.

399 King St East

The church is presently in the fund raising stage and while a definite start date has yet to be determined, hopefully work will start next year sometime.

Unfortunately I think that same write-up has been on their site for several years. They have some sort of agreement with the City which obliges them to fix these buildings but the deadline keeps getting moved ahead. There was some discussion, somewhere on this site. about this about 6-9 months ago.

Hey Everyone,

399 King St East

i'm glad the site wasn't sold to a developer, etc.

however, what's the point of just keeping the facade if they are going to demolish the building, etc ?
the brick looks like it's in really bad shape, there's not much ornate detailing that would seem to make it worth saving, etc.

i'm glad the site wasn't sold to a developer, etc.

however, what's the point of just keeping the facade if they are going to demolish the building, etc ?
the brick looks like it's in really bad shape, there's not much ornate detailing that would seem to make it worth saving, etc.

To be honest, I'd rather it be sold to a developer and turned into something redeeming (via facadism or otherwise).

To be honest, I'd rather it be sold to a developer and turned into something redeeming (via facadism or otherwise).

my point was the church can still develop the proposed building, etc but don't waste the money for the costly task of facadism ... build new to replicate or go completely modern.

my point was the church can still develop the proposed building, etc but don't waste the money for the costly task of facadism ... build new to replicate or go completely modern.

I question how quickly the church will move ahead with their plan (it's been at least 3-4 years since the announcement). The buildings are getting shabbier by the day.

While their website says redevelopment, their actions suggest demolition by neglect.

I question how quickly the church will move ahead with their plan (it's been at least 3-4 years since the announcement). The buildings are getting shabbier by the day.

While their website says redevelopment, their actions suggest demolition by neglect.

Though they HAVE been VERY slow in getting this whole project off the ground it is only fair to remind everyone that they did fix the facades about 18 months ago and the bricks are now no longer crumbling onto the sidewalks with each light breeze.

This thread has been quiet for quite some time. New things in the neighbourhood:

- Corktown Ukelele Jam. I can't beleive how popular this is!
- Corktown District is being built out, with 2 of 3 buildings at full height (5/6 stories) and the third about halfway. Occupancy starts April/09. I bet local businesses (Savory Grounds, Magic Oven, the Dominion) will get a boost.
- The Staples building at King & Berkeley is truly awful.
- Rink's open at Shuter & Sumach.
- Gilead Cafe puts us on the map.
- Weezies.
- Pete's Open Kitchen is in process of removing a tree illegally (carcass still there). Hope this joint & its neighbours get pushed out for something more hip. Gentrify, Corktown, gentrify!
- Real estate. Have you seen what the houses on Bright & Wascana have gone for?!
- Pan Am Goodness. So good for our hood.

My wish list for 2010:
- A drycleaner moving into one of the retail spots below Corktown District (on Craigslist right now!)
- Dark Horse gets LLBO license.
- the area around 500 Queen E starts looking more like 700-1100 Queen E
- Ritchie's auction house is turned into somethign cool

Last edited:
I will be watching Corktown and the WDL very closely and excitedly over the next few years.

I was even considering purchasing a spectacular unit at Corktown District and while I may have chosen Market Wharf regardless, that unit got sold before I could make the challenging decision.

A drycleaner would be awesome for those living in the area. On this board, I heard rumour that a Starbucks may be part of the retail at Corktown District? That would be a nice addition too and before anyone thinks it would be a damper on Savoury Grounds, the reality is Starbucks helps boost business for other cafes when they enter a market.

Dark Horse is a great cafe! Would be nice if they got a licence, yes, but I'm very happy with their Americanos.

I peaked into the window of Gilead Cafe when they were closed and it looks like a great addition to the neighbourhood. Looking forward to trying it one of these days.

Nice list, UserName, and I agree with a lot of your points... especially about the Staples building... bleh! :)

One of my neighbours recently wrote to Little Trinity Church asking about the houses discussed a few posts above. She received the response below, which may be of interest.

"We are always thankful when our friends and neighbours engage us in discussions about community issues and in particular, the situation concerning the state of the townhouses. I'm pleased to tell you that we are well underway with a building renewal program which will see a restoration and renovation of the Victorian townhouses at 399 King Street. Beginning in January we will be meeting regularly with our architects and engineers to prepare detailed plans and specifications for the project. Concurrently with that process we will be meeting with the various municipal departments to secure the necessary permits with a view to beginning construction in the spring of 2011. I appreciate that 2011 seems like a long time away but the lead time required for a $3,500,000.00 project is necessarily lengthy.

To date the congregation of Little Trinity Church has pledged approximately $1,500,000.00 to fund the project. The Diocese of Toronto has given us a grant of $1,000,000.00 toward it as well. We will use 2010 to raise the remainder of the funds necessary to meet our budget and to complete the preliminary work leading up to construction.

While I cannot comment specifically yet I can tell you that the Property Renewal Team has plans to conduct a series of town hall meeting for the community to let people know what we're doing. This won't happen until the toward the middle/end of next year. We simply don't have sufficient information available at this time to provide a meaningful presentation."

^^

Great news, thanks for the update and thanks to your neighbour for inquiring.

Looking forward to this project actually happening.

I wonder who owns 443 King St E (currently vacant/parking lot). The site reminds me of the plots chosen for the Corktown District buildings.

There's also a massive restoration project underway at the 5 story loft building at the N/W corner of Parliament and King E. Not to mention the project across the street, next to the icky Staples. If I'm not mistaken, TTC purchased the land? It looks as though this will become a streetcar turnaround. Total guess though, I have no idea. Whatever it is required very little digging though, so there's certainly no building going up there. (unless they're putting up a sales house?)

Another mystery building is at the corner of Sackville and King. I know we've discussed this in the past. I've been hearing neighbourhood rumours that this will become a little organic grocery store / deli. Anyone else hearing this buzz? The building itself got a pretty recent exterior paint job, and appears to be getting gutted (albeit, very slowly).

Yey for Corktown! Yey for the Pan Am games!

There's also a massive restoration project underway at the 5 story loft building at the N/W corner of Parliament and King E. Not to mention the project across the street, next to the icky Staples. If I'm not mistaken, TTC purchased the land? It looks as though this will become a streetcar turnaround. Total guess though, I have no idea. Whatever it is required very little digging though, so there's certainly no building going up there. (unless they're putting up a sales house?)

Another mystery building is at the corner of Sackville and King. I know we've discussed this in the past. I've been hearing neighbourhood rumours that this will become a little organic grocery store / deli. Anyone else hearing this buzz? The building itself got a pretty recent exterior paint job, and appears to be getting gutted (albeit, very slowly).

Yey for Corktown! Yey for the Pan Am games!

I think King & Parliament is going to be the future home of the Porsche dealership currently located at Front & Berkeley. Construction was delayed due to some archeological issues. Not thrilled about this development.

A deli/grocer would be a welcome addition, and would be patronized by me on my walk home with great frequency. Rowe Farms?

Article in blogto today: http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/01/...ood_corktowns_queen_east_remains_a_wasteland/ . "Once Hyped as the Next Hot 'Hood, Corktown's Queen East Remains a Wasteland". What do you think? :rolleyes:

Funny, I jumped back here to post the same BlogTO article.

I don't think you could disagree about the lack of retail presence at the moment. But the way the article is presented and the tone Rick writes with is a little sloppy. He even speaks of the hoops the area has jumped through over the past 10 years, but continues to call it a wasteland. Strange.

Corktown is this gateway area. We are so close to Distillery / Cabbagetown / Regent Park / St. Lawrence / Downtown / Riverdale. This is how people see it anyway.

Its historic troubles (highways / Regent Park / auto garages / methadone clinics - is what in fact makes this area different and unique. As a result, the fabric of the area's architecture and general feel has changed. But again, it's what makes Corktown what it is. Business people like Jamie Kennedy are utilizing the uniqueness of this area, setting up shop in a laneway warehouses, where just across King lies a small street of 1870's row houses. There is no other area like this. It is very historic, very urban and becoming very modern.

And its historic "failures" are what make this area what it is. It's what welcomes an interesting blend of modernism next to 1870's row houses.

I truly would like to see this area gentrify a little more, and I know that is coming, but I also like it for what it is right now. Sure, it's not a destination yet for the rest of the city, but the folks who live here love it and love taking care of their neighbourhood!

oh, and re: the fruit market / deli, apparently it's the owners of Weezie's who own that property now. It would be cool to have another Gilead-esque market in the area. Again, based on rumours.

Someone mentioned earlier having issue with the Ritchie's auction house. I have actually gone to a few previews and it's a lot of fun. However, I'm pretty sure the battered building across the street is theirs too (the white building with shattered windows, next to the Gilead parking lot). I think it's used for storage. Something needs to happen with THAT building. What a mess.

Back