News   Apr 19, 2024
 402     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 727     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 750     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Never mind, I see now that there's a Karmann Ghia in the Melinda/Jordan pic. I thought the reference was to the photo of Modern Laundry on Dupont (VW Type 3 obscured by tree).

the lemur.. I only had the opportunity to ride in an air cooled VeeDub just once decades ago for a few minutes. I miss the rattle of those engines. They seemed to be everywhere back in their day.

The inmates are taking over!

The image below wasn’t taken in Toronto as far as I know, but it’s one of the most interesting I’ve come across during my endless scouring of trade publications scanned at Internet Archive. From the April 1919 issue of “Dry Goods Review.”

BookReaderImages.php

A higher resolution version is available at the link below. I’ve cropped the photo out of the ad and now it’s my desktop wallpaper. It intrigues the youngsters.

http://ia701208.us.archive.org/Book...p2/dgrstyle1919toro_0607.jp2&scale=1&rotate=0

Ah yes, 'the underground mail road':

http://www.curiousexpeditions.org/?p=321

Has anyone produced an (online) annotated version of the panorama? I've blown up the relevant part of the 1857 Fleming & Ridout map (courtesy skritch). But I still can't seem to line everything up. For example, which street stretches out immediately to the east of the camera, and what are the towers visible on the horizon in that direction?

8496035876_ac9cbabbeb_h.jpg

Still musing about k10ery's map... south of the Rossin House.. where Union Station stands today.. was 'Jacques and Hayes Cabinet Factory.'

A 'Google' of: 'jacques and hayes furniture' reveals much of this factory's output for sale in various places around the internet.

Memories of those pneumatic tubes... Eatons was still using them in the late '60s when I worked there as a student over the summer. Place money and sales slip in a tube, put the tube in the hole and watch it hover then shoot away; then lo and behold back it came with the change! Magic!

Ah yes, 'the underground mail road':

http://www.curiousexpeditions.org/?p=321

Memories of those pneumatic tubes... Eatons was still using them in the late '60s when I worked there as a student over the summer. Place money and sales slip in a tube, put the tube in the hole and watch it hover then shoot away; then lo and behold back it came with the change! Magic!

Amazing that Pneumatic Tube Systems are still being used. They are installing one at the new Humber River Regional Hospital on Wilson. 1.8 million sq.ft of digital hospital.

My subway trip today. To give a mundane trip meaning, I made a triptych :):

Subway Art - Then.

R1239552_zpsb78ef2c2.jpg

Subway Art - Now [just put up at Pape station].

R1239550_zps4a87cd63.jpg

Subway Art - on the Move.

R1239549_zpsd2ae6d3b.jpg

Still musing about k10ery's map... south of the Rossin House.. where Union Station stands today.. was 'Jacques and Hayes Cabinet Factory.'

A 'Google' of: 'jacques and hayes furniture' reveals much of this factory's output for sale in various places around the internet.

Thanks to Mustapha and Goldie for giving me some tips about the panorama. It's the first time I've looked at it closely. With so many great buildings appearing in the 5-10 years before, it's no wonder that Torontonians thought they needed some pictures to show the world in 1857.

The oldest building I can identify (no doubt there are older) is the Andrew Mercer Cottage (1827), a one-storey building tucked in at Wellington and Bay:

Toronto_1856_-_9.jpg

and from Robertson:

8498609603_76d81b2069_b.jpg

Mercer died in this unpreposessing shack in 1871 with an estate proved at $180,000. When the will produced by his housekeeper and illegitimate son was ruled a forgery the assets were escheated to the Crown and used to build this on King St W.:

Mercer_Reformatory.jpg

Fortunately, since this is Mustapha's Then and Now thread, one of the buildings there remains:

800px-Mercer_Reformatory_Superintendent%27s_House.jpg

And yes, this is how I spend my Friday nights!

I might have told this story here before, but back when I was an urban planning student in college our class took 2 field trips - one to Toronto, and one to Detroit - to compare "a city that worked" with a city that didn't.

Both cities, however, actually looked pretty much the same...at least from our point of view, since we toured both downtowns mostly through a network of construction awnings: in Toronto, because there was actually construction going on; and in Detroit because so many office buildings were abandonded and unmaintained that chunks of them were falling from the sky on a regular basis.

I might have told this story here before, but back when I was an urban planning student in college our class took 2 field trips - one to Toronto, and one to Detroit - to compare "a city that worked" with a city that didn't.

Both cities, however, actually looked pretty much the same...at least from our point of view, since we toured both downtowns mostly through a network of construction awnings: in Toronto, because there was actually construction going on; and in Detroit because so many office buildings were abandonded and unmaintained that chunks of them were falling from the sky on a regular basis.

Economics.. eggs.. in one basket.. is a term that comes to mind. The automotive industry and its ancilliary and feeder industries raised Detroit to greatness. The industry's denouement/inevitable correction - Asia, robotics, race-to-the bottom market pressures; pick any or all and some I can't think of, means the Detroit situation is irreversible.

Back