News   Apr 23, 2024
 9     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 821     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 283     0 

Target

In another thread, investican mentioned that "Mady Developments has purchased the Landmark Site for 42.5 MIL - Apparently a Target Store is to open up on the site by 2014." The site is in Scarborough, but it's across the street from Markham, so it would sort of count as a Markham location. I'm not sure where in Markham itself a Target would go, except maybe along Markham Road near Major Mac or in Box Grove?

Fashionista alert! One day only! Target to open Toronto pop-up store Feb. 23

Target will open its first Canadian store next week — but only for a day.

The Minneapolis-based mass merchant, which will begin opening 125 to 135 stores across Canada next year, is opening a "pop-up" store in Toronto's garment district on Feb. 23 to showcase a limited collection by designer Jason Wu. The store is located at 363 King St. West in Toronto, and will be open for just six hours, from noon until 6 p.m.
Shoppers will be limited to buying just three pieces each due to the retailer’s anticipation of high demand. The limit also guards against goods flowing into a lucrative resale market on web sites such as eBay.
More details on the collection. Wu himself will be in attendance.

A few things are notable about the one-day only event. First, to prevent a mob scene or a total clean-out, Target is (wisely, we think) limiting purchase quantities to three items per shopper. Next, they will also donate the equivalent of 100% of the sales from the pop-up shop to United Way Toronto. And oh yes, did I mention that Wu himself will be in attendance, bringing his Can-Con cred with him (as a child living in Vancouver, he famously learned to both speak English and sew in Canada).

Last edited:
The Toronto Entertainment District has tweeted a photo of the line already forming for the one-day only Target pop-up store on King St. W. Designer Jason Wu appeared on Canada AM this morning.

The Globe and Mail: Target teaser braces for Jason Wu chaos on King

web-target22nw1_1377354cl-8.jpg

Edit to add: photos of the launch from CBC

Interesting headline from Forbes: Target Launches Canadian Invasion From India

Last edited:
And so it begins. A wackload of employees from my office have quit in the past two days, all heading for Target. They took some of the best. Whoever is doing their recruiting work is doing a great job.

I guess that means they're moving from Yonge and Eglinton to Mississauga ? Sad ...

I considered making the change too, but the location is just horrible. It takes me long enough to get to work here in the city. Canadian Tire also has better benefits and way better job security. A few years ago Sears stole a bunch of our employees, offering better base pay. The people who stuck around at CT are still employed, while those who made it over to Sears are now dealing with massive layoffs. Target's growth over the next few years should allow for quite a bit of job security in the short term, but over the years they may choose to outsource a lot of the work to their American office, as Walmart Canada already does.

Many of the people who left for Target live in the 905 anyway, so they probably lucked out in terms of the commute. Plus they get to save $ since parking at Yonge/Eg is ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:
I considered making the change too, but the location is just horrible. It takes me long enough to get to work here in the city. Canadian Tire also has better benefits and way better job security. A few years ago Sears stole a bunch of our employees, offering better base pay. The people who stuck around at CT are still employed, while those who made it over to Sears are now dealing with massive layoffs. Target's growth over the next few years should allow for quite a bit of job security in the short term, but over the years they may choose to outsource a lot of the work to their American office, as Walmart Canada already does.

Many of the people who left for Target live in the 905 anyway, so they probably lucked out in terms of the commute. Plus they get to save $ since parking at Yonge/Eg is ridiculously expensive.

Depends where in the 905 they're comming from, if they currently live in Markham or the like, the Yonge and Eglinton location may be better.

So how's Canadian Tire doing ? I know a while back you mentioned they had plans to consider moving some of their offices from Yonge and Eglinton ?

Depends where in the 905 they're comming from, if they currently live in Markham or the like, the Yonge and Eglinton location may be better.

So how's Canadian Tire doing ? I know a while back you mentioned they had plans to consider moving some of their offices from Yonge and Eglinton ?

We are doing quite well. While most retailers saw a slump over the holiday season, or flat sales, we had a 20% increase. We have unveiled a new concept and will start converting more stores to this concept next year in order to keep our place against Target. Our new loyalty program launched a few weeks ago in Nova Scotia, and if all goes well, should go national in a little over a year or so.

We are a bit worried about Target, but we started preparing for them over a year ago. If you or anyone reading this gets a chance to check out the new store in Bowmanville, Cambridge, or Orleans, do so. The reviews from customers have been absolutely amazing. That is the concept we are banking on to beat Target. We also launched some new programs to improve customer service at the store level.

As for the move, its off the table. We renewed the lease at 2180 and moved finance to a new sprawling facility in Oakville to make room for Forzani and Mark's staff at 2180.

Some Bowmanville pics:

canadian-tire.jpg

ktp_5928.jpg

We renewed the lease at 2180 and moved finance to a new sprawling facility in Oakville to make room for Forzani and Mark's staff at 2180.
[/IMG]

Great to here it's doing well Tuscani01 !

The unfortunate part sounds like you needed more space, yet that growth took place outside of Toronto, how did employees feel about moving to Oakville ? As that's a big change location wise.

I think it's time employees start standing up to companies in this regards, it's actually happened a few times. The problem here is I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the employees didn't mind the move. If I were asked to do such a move I'd quit once I could find another job.

The city needs to do a better job of preventing this. As it happens a lot.

Great to here it's doing well Tuscani01 !

The unfortunate part sounds like you needed more space, yet that growth took place outside of Toronto, how did employees feel about moving to Oakville ? As that's a big change location wise.

I think it's time employees start standing up to companies in this regards, it's actually happened a few times. The problem here is I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the employees didn't mind the move. If I were asked to do such a move I'd quit once I could find another job.

The city needs to do a better job of preventing this. As it happens a lot.

There wasn't much backlash from employees, as we already had office space in Oakville and employees had to frequently make the drive down. With Financial Services based out of Welland, moving the Finance department to Oakville just made sense. It would have been more disruptive to move Financial Services and Oakville over to Toronto, as both of those offices started in their respective cities/towns and employees live close to those locations. Physically being in the city really has no advantage anymore with email. Mark's and Forzani are still based in Calgary and there are absolutely no plans to bring them over to Toronto either.

Not going to lie though, I am really hoping we do bring everyone under one roof. It would make for a decent sized tower, but we would need quite a bit of horizontal space to accommodate our mock stores and line review rooms.

Back