Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

This is very exciting news. Since the article only mentions restoration of 197 Yonge (south building) and not 205 Yonge, I guess the redeveloped property will only be 197 and the gap between the buildings. And that the north building will not be incorporated.

Also makes sense with this quote: "When you're working on an intricate site such as this one, flanked by some of Toronto's finest heritage buildings, such as Massey Hall, the Elgin/Wintergarden Theatres, E.J. Lennox's Bank of Toronto... (north building)

This is very exciting news. Since the article only mentions restoration of 197 Yonge (south building) and not 205 Yonge, I guess the redeveloped property will only be 197 and the gap between the buildings. And that the north building will not be incorporated.

Also makes sense with this quote: "When you're working on an intricate site such as this one, flanked by some of Toronto's finest heritage buildings, such as Massey Hall, the Elgin/Wintergarden Theatres, E.J. Lennox's Bank of Toronto... (north building)

Yeah, 205 Yonge st. is the more stunning of the two and should stay intact.
http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/06/torontos_forgotten_landmarks_bank_of_toronto_at_205_yonge_street/

Wow:cool:, Registration...up and running
Massey Tower Condos...coming soon
http://www.moddevelopments.com/regform/register.php

Last edited:
This sounds great!
BUt rumours of 80/100 storey condo buildings can now hopefully be put to rest...

Which surprises me, I would have thought that they would want the additional density / air rights that 205 Yonge would have contributed to the project. I suppose that they decided that the additional expense of buying and restoring that building was not worth the added density rights.

I wonder what this will do to the likelihood that 205 will be preserved -- I would think it would have been much more attractive as part of a larger project.

Pure speculation here. Given the limited amount of space available for the project, and the fact that they are donating part of the already-small site to Massey Hall, it seems plausible to me that this could be another Lightbox/Festival Tower arrangement, where most of the lower several floors are given over to Massey Hall's use, with the residential tower above.

I'd be surprised if Massey Hall ends up with much more than what's immediately south of the Hall. I don't think they need much more than expanded stage/backstage area.

I am very happy about this (as long as they don't screw it up or have a 'mysterious fire' or 'accident'). I was worried they would be torn down by greedy developers. Are these building heritage? I'm glad they're getting rid of that pointless parkette, too. 205 is gorgeous. Those Blogto photos are fabulous.

Back