Toronto Couture The Condominium | ?m | 42s | Philmor | Graziani + Corazza

The way most new condos look sort of plastic and flimsy reminds me of how newer cars look. Just cheap overall like a toy that will break. I'm not meaning to pick on this building specifically but those photos reminded me of this.

Yet you'll notice that the gorgeous structure to the south carries none of that 'el cheapo' baggage. It really comes down to who you hire in this town.

The way most new condos look sort of plastic and flimsy reminds me of how newer cars look. Just cheap overall like a toy that will break. I'm not meaning to pick on this building specifically but those photos reminded me of this.

I agree. I think that the main reason for this is that the corner silver cladding that could have served as a bold frame is needlessly ornamented with those horizontal lines, which carry the overwrought spandrel/mullion pattern onto what should be a smooth surface. Death by a thousand paper cuts.

Oh, Starchitect...One day you'll realize that there are two parts to any project: conceptualization and execution. Even if you dislike the way aA designs their buildings on paper (entirely subjective and up to you), you can't really fault they way they have them built (entirely objective and up to the materials specified and the way they are applied). In this sense, it is all about who you hire in this town.

If you really are a budding architecture student, all of these little realities will become apparent to you once you get your first job and begin the lifelong task of 'speccing.'

It wasn't what you were saying that made me roll my eyes (I'm well aware execution makes or breaks a lot of projects), it's now you said it.

Wow we've been yakking on this thread for over 6 years now! 2 Feb 2012:

068sa.jpg

They've got almost all of the ground floor glazing in now. It looks quite nice, and should be an interesting contrast with X.

I actually don't mind how this looks to be honest. I don't really care for the grey, but I do like how they have it separated into smaller boxes with the use of a whiter stripe ever few floors. It's a nice touch. Plus i feel it will play off X quite well. I don't think it deserves the hate it gets. If it weren't right beside X, we wouldn't be talking about it being poor quality. It just has major competition next door.

Last edited:
I actually don't mind how this looks to be honest. I don't really care for the grey, but I do like how they have it separated into smaller boxes with the use of a whiter stripe ever few floors. It's a nice touch. Plus i feel it will play off X quite well. I don't think it deserves the hate it gets. If it weren't right beside X, we wouldn't be talking about it being poor quality. It just has major competition next door.
Let's just say it has more in common with the building to the north than it has with the building to the south.

Let's just say it has more in common with the building to the north than it has with the building to the south.

What? :confused:
I don't really care for this one but to say its got more in common with the brutalist concrete apartment to the north of it than the glass box with similar dark overtones to the south is just absurd.

Back