517     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 423     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 783     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is one of the most important cultural institutions in Canada, and she lives in the city Doug Ford represents. This isn't any different than Ford dissing the ROM or the symphony.

That is obviously not true -- just look at all the articles and postings on this issue.

Being familiar with the important cultural touchstones related to the city has a lot to do with running it.

I certainly would have been appalled if Miller said he didn't know who she was, especially if the implication was he didn't care who she was.

No way would the same backlash have ocured if Miller didn't know who she was. It wouldn't have happened.

You guys would have given him a pass. People are using Doug Ford's not knowing who Atwood was as ammo to smear him and are scrapping the bottom looking for anything to stick to the Fords including this allegation claimed by the woman driver. The Ford haters are looking for anything to justify personal attacks and smear campaigns. It's that simple. And if not?

Why then aren't all councilors being tested on cultural knowledge of this city and then being shamed and damned when they admit ignorance as in case of the Fords?

Last edited:
No way would the same backlash have ocured if Miller didn't know who she was. It wouldn't have happened.

Really? You're psychic?

You guys would have given him a pass.

...and you would've been trashing him left and right, with spittle flying everywhere.

Why aren't all councilors being tested on cultural knowledge of this city and then being shamed and damned when they admit ignorance as in case of the Fords?

They are.

Your apologies are wearing a little thin ;)

You guys would have given him a pass. People are using Doug Ford's not knowing who Atwood was as ammo to smear him and are scrapping the bottom looking for anything to stick to the Fords including this allegation claimed by the woman driver. The Ford haters are looking for anything to justify personal attacks and smear campaigns. It's that simple. And if not?

Why then aren't all councilors being tested on cultural knowledge of this city and then being shamed and damned when they admit ignorance as in case of the Fords?

Dude, you're losing credibility here. Not only did Ford not know one of Canada's greatest literary treasures who is beloved around the world - which, okay but then keep your mouth shut and inform yourself - but he wore his ignorance proudly and defiantly like a badge of honour. He then went on to bully her and disrespect an informed and involved constituent because he didn't like what she had to say. This is ok with you?

It wouldn't have happened because it was never a possibility. And that's the point. Your posts read more as anti-intellectualism than genuine concern about smear.

They absolutely should be, and often are. They are our representatives, for crying out loud. But they're less widely recognized than the mayor, and receive less coverage. Again: we should be pressing the councillors who support the Fords. Grassroots action. Attacking the Fords directly is a waste of time.

Last edited:
Succinct tweet by Global's Jackson Proskow:

Doug Ford on Atwood Today: "I think she's a great writer and I look forward to her input" Yesterday: "I don't even know her."

It wouldn't have happened because it was never a possibility. And that's the point. Your posts read more as anti-intellectualism than genuine concern about smear.

They absolutely should be, and often are. They are our representatives, for crying out loud. But they're less widely recognized than the mayor, and receive less coverage. Again: we should be pressing the councillors who support the Fords. Grassroots action. Attacking the Fords directly is a waste of time.

No. People are lying through their teeth when they say the same treatment would have been applied to other councilors as in the case of Ford and his brother.

It has nothing to do with being anti-intellectual. It's everything to do with looking for every possible tidbit that can be used against the Fords because they're loathed. This is all personal. It's about certain people hating the Fords and using every means at their disposal including personal attacks. The haters are scrapping the bottom looking for anything to attack with.

This latest example is about the those that lost at city hall and their supporters trying to up the ante in their never ending tantrums because they're sore losers.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with being anti-intellectual. It's everything to do with looking for every possible tidbit that can be used against the Fords because they're loathed.
Yes, it absolutely does. They're loathed in large part because they represent anti-intellectualism.

Last edited:
I don't care that Doug Ford doesn't know who Margaret Atwood is. If some left leaning politician couldn't name the captain of the Maple leafs, Ford nation would spas out.

What bugs me is that the Ford Bros. keep treating proposals as done deals. They bully people into getting their way. The whole discussion about the Libraries (or any issue for that matter) doesn't seem like a discussion. The Ford Bros. want to close libraries. End of discussion. They don't really care that some or most of their constituents want the library open. What bugs me is the selfish attitude. Just because Doug Ford and his ilk don't use libraries, doesn't mean that no one else has a use for them.

They (and their council supporters) are selfish and closed minded.

If I presented the idea that they should sell all the football fields (or any sports facility) to private developers, because I do not use football fields, I would be laughed at. But is my line of thinking incorrect? I am using the same logic as Doug Ford. Why should I pay for something I do not use. Is that what we want in Toronto? A city full of selfish people?

No. People are lying through their teeth when they say the same treatment would have been applied to other councilors as in the case of Ford and his brother.

It has nothing to do with being anti-intellectual. It's everything to do with looking for every possible tidbit that can be used against the Fords because they're loathed. This is all personal. It's about certain people hating the Fords and using every means at their disposal including personal attacks. The haters are scrapping the bottom looking for anything to attack with.

This latest example is about the those that lost at city hall and their supporters trying to up the ante in their never ending tantrums because they're sore losers.

Tkip, you're correct in at least one way -- that it has become personal for a lot of people. But, if you cast your mind back to the garbage strike, think about all the vitriol spewed at Miller for 'caving'. 'Not getting enough.' 'Selling out to the unions.' It was so vicious he decided not to stand for re-election. And, IIRC, I believe you were a leading example of that 'Miller hater' attitude at the time.

Now, Miller was hated for almost the exact opposite reasons as Ford. He was humourless and controlling. He always needed to prove he was the smartest guy in the room. But, and this is a HUGE but, he was a good mayor and a good politician who (mostly) controlled his message well, up to the garbage strike. Even his fumbling of the Port Authority file to the point the city paid those political hacks many millions for no particularly good reason was forgotten by most city dwellers.

Ford has only been in the job a few months, but he has already lost control of his image to his foes. He can rally IF he presents a budget that not only lowers spending dramatically, but ALSO does it in a way that centrists will consider reasonable. That's a tall order. And, he needs to control his people as well as he did during the election, and that includes telling his brother to shut his piehole on occasion.

I'll withhold judgement on Ford the mayor until I see that 2012 budget. But so far, he's looked like a buffoon of Mellian proportions.

Re: Atwood. The really disturbing thing was Doug Ford dismissing her defence of libraries and saying she should get elected if she wants to have a say about them. And, yes, it's just the general ignorance of Toronto culture that's unfortunate. David Miller equivocations aren't really workable, because I literally can't think of a Toronto-based cultural figure on Atwood's level that Miller wouldn't have been aware of.

Re: The middle finger. I gave the story no credibility at all until the mayor put out his statement. Still only a minor amusement of a story, though, regardless of truth.

Also:

Ford-laughs.gif

Tkip, do you realize your credibility is ZERO!

You defend Ford here on a daily basis, no matter what stupid thing he does. You won't for a second consider that maybe Ford is screwing up, you just use your spin to justify everything. Everybody else is the problem but never your man Ford. Do you work for Deco? What has Ford done for you, to inspire such undying loyalty? You must live in your own Tea Party world if you can't see what's happening.

Slowly, even the Ford supporters are starting to abandon ship. It's only a matter of time before the Fords are run out of town but you keep up the Ford love fest, obviously, you're getting something out of it.

Don't forget to turn the lights out, when you're the last one to leave the party.

The flipping the bird incident isn't an unsupported allegation. His people have admitted that he was using his cellphone while driving. Any subsequent rude response to someone calling him on this driving infraction is in keeping with his character. He has engaged in similar behaviour at other times, at the ACC, for example.

In any of the frequent online debates about bicycles there is always a call for licensing and registration. This cry comes, I believe, mostly from the constituency which would support the Fords. They say if there were plates on bikes then it would be easy to report cyclists who blow through red lights or commit other infractions. When reported, they say, the police would then contact the cyclists and fine them. So this time we have a driver who has been identified by his plates - "ROBFORD" - and has now admitted to using a cellphone while driving in a way that carries up to a $500 fine. I should add that his brother, who shares with him most of his backwards ways and opinions, has joked about running down eight cyclists as he makes his way down Queen St., so that's it's especially important that these people pay attention while driving. I would like to see the police enforce this traffic infraction, now that it has been reported and is undisputed by the driver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back