Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Where will the cage be placed when it's not being used? The bottom or top of the spire? It's definitely going to change the look of the spire. And not for the better.

If that (spire) cage remains, this project is done for me. It looks like a Las Vegas ride (ie Stratesphere).
PLEASE Architecture Gods, do not allow such a downgrade to this building (and downtown TO)!!

wow. the terrace in indiglos pic looks massive! i didn't know residents would have the wrap around view.... that deserves to be shared for more than one resident!!!
oh god. the mechanical box is so cool for some reason!... mostly because it's so tall!

I agree with you about the mechanical box. For some reason the staggered setbacks, the terraces and the thinning of the tower ending with the mechanical works. Unlike, for example X, which I try and try and try to love but I just can't because of the box on top. I drive past and as long as I don't look up, I think what a great building, then I catch a glimpse from a distance it kills me. Regardless of how Trump finally works out, the one thing that worked for sure was how they managed this feature.

6392691399_b10c907b4c_b.jpg

Dropzone?

The Eiffel Tower was once thought to be the ugliest thing imaginable. Is it still, or have we changed our minds?

Last edited:
There is absolutely ZERO chance that cage will remain on the Spire. They would never build a spire only to have that on it. Completely defeats the purpose. BG

You guys make it sound so simple, but really, it isn't. That yellow derrick crane was used to put it up there. How do you propose they take it down and reinstall it whenever they want to use it? Erect another derrick crane? Maybe that's the answer.

I agree with you. I don't think it should stay. It looks stupid and defeats the look. But it's a big operation just to get it there, and people shouldn't forget that.

Oh, and the masts for the hoists on the south were being removed today. For anyone still watching that side of the building, that is ;)

Last edited:
You guys make it sound so simple, but really, it isn't. That yellow derrick crane was used to put it up there. How do you propose they take it down and reinstall it whenever they want to use it? Erect another derrick crane? Maybe that's the answer.

I think it might look better if they leave it at the top of the spire. A spire crown, or something.

Depends on what kind of servicing is necessary - how to guys get to the tops of antennas when they need repairs? They climb. The initial installation probably requires more hauling of materials than would be necessary later for maintenance.

There are no provisions in place to climb the curved glass of the spire. Servicing the LED units is not as simple as 'changing a lightbulb', as the curved glass would actually need to be removed in order to accomplish that. How is the climber supposed to do that? What are they supposed to do with the removed unit? How are they supposed to actually climb curved glass? It is not possible to do what you say with the way the building is currently designed.

How far is it from the tip of the spire to the corner of the mechanical box? Could they install a telescoping window washing rig?

It is theoretically possible, but it would be so massive that you guys would just whine about how it ruins the view.

The top of the mechanical boxes also haven't been designed to bear that kind of weight (units like that are very, very heavy). The primary BMU of the building sits on the slab in-between the two boxes, and the reinforced base for it is pretty heavy-duty. For reference, the unit that you propose would have to scope out to a height that is 20M+ above the roof of the mechanical box, so an absolutely enormous unit would be required to do what you say.

Last edited:

Back