News   Mar 28, 2024
 656     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 458     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 780     0 

New rides at Wonderland

My favourite ride ever is Magnum at Cedar Point, which is only 200 feet tall. The first drop of any roller coaster over 200 feet is like nothing you have ever experienced before, so I'm quite excited for this new ride.

Personally, I am hoping for a traditional but big coaster with no inversions, a large emphasis on air time, a couple of tight banked turns, and an emphasis on the available terrain. Smoothness is key, but almost guaranteed nowadays. Shuttle rides are notorious for break downs, but more importantly I still enjoy the build up you get going up the lift hill.

If this ride is to be the tallest in Canada, it's got to beat Drop Zone's 230 foot tower. In North America, that would put it way up in the top percentile of all roller coasters in terms of height. For traditional roller coasters, anything over 250 feet would be monumental.

^ Magnum is awesome! I was in heaven at Cedar Point, it kicks Wonderland's ass when it comes to coasters. Millenium Force, Blue Streak and Raptor are great also, and Top Thrill Dragster at 200 kph and 400ft vertical is crazy fun.

I am excited about the new ride. It is about time Wonderland put something in that's actually thrill-seeking (I haven't been in a few years and haven't ridden on Tomb Raider or The Italian Job). I would always get jealous of other amusement parks that had their new coasters featured on Discovery Channel's Top Ten Coasters. My fave at Wonderland is still the Mine Buster.

Here's what the site says:

Wonderland's biggest announcement ever

18 months of planning and construction

Biggest investment in Wonderland's history

Canada has never seen anything like it

Premieres May 2008

There's also a thing that says 87 feet along the side. I took a screencap and counted the number of little boxes that were red (16 I counted, with maybe a 17th slightly red) and the total number of boxes (45 I counted). Assuming 16 boxes = 87 feet, and assuming 45 is the right number of boxes, I estimate the whole thing filled = 244 ft.

Question is, did they make that sidebar accurate? If they did, we're looking at a roller coaster that is approximately 244 ft high.

i thought at first maybe the 87 feet was how tall the coaster was so far, but that doesn't seem likely. Maybe it's how much longer until completion?

1216424140_005e24bb9e_o.jpg

Someone that has connections within the Attractions office at Wonderland gave some new info about the new coaster:

Cedar point has this roller coaster

Its costing the park $26.4 million to build

The entrance is the former exit of kingswood music theatre...and the exit will be were orbiter is yes they're taking out orbiter at the end of the year

Its suppose to break records in height & speed.

--I wonder if this is really true.

Its suppose to break records in height & speed.

For Canada yes, for the world... no chance. That means a 500+ foot drop with a launched start.

I'm guessing we'll see 200 feet or so, not too unlike Ride of Steel across the border or Magnum XL ... which would be fantastic no matter how you slice it.

For Canada yes, for the world... no chance. That means a 500+ foot drop with a launched start.

I'm guessing we'll see 200 feet or so, not too unlike Ride of Steel across the border or Magnum XL ... which would be fantastic no matter how you slice it.

Yes it will definitely break all the Canadian records. I doubt it will be a World Record holder though but I do see this coaster as being one of the best. They wouldn't be hyping it up this much just to let everyone down with disappointment. This has to be the coaster of all coasters and put Canada's Wonderland on the International Map even though Wonderland is the title holder with the highest park attendance in North America.

Yes it will definitely break all the Canadian records. I doubt it will be a World Record holder though but I do see this coaster as being one of the best. They wouldn't be hyping it up this much just to let everyone down with disappointment. This has to be the coaster of all coasters and put Canada's Wonderland on the International Map even though Wonderland is the title holder with the highest park attendance in North America.

We've seen every new addition get hyped a whole lot in the past, no matter how terrible (Tomb Raider anyone?).

I'm sure it will be great, but it may not...

We've seen every new addition get hyped a whole lot in the past, no matter how terrible (Tomb Raider anyone?).

I'm sure it will be great, but it may not...

Tomb Raider wasn't hyped up like this ride. It never had a countdown clock on the park's website and those messages "Canada has never seen anything like it", "Wonderland's biggest announcement ever!!!"

I haven't gone to the park in 2 years, the reason being that in 2006 they didn't install a new ride, they had some special shitty stunt show. Then in 2007, no new ride again. I think I definitely will be checking this out next year now. The park will be extremely rammed next year with the addition of the new ride. I remember how busy the park was when Top Gun was built, I remember waiting in the que line for like 2hrs just to enjoy a 30 second ride..lol

I do see a bit of a risk here, after riding this new ride I imagine everything else will seem like a yawner. Right now everything is at a general "ok" level so no one really knows what they're missing. Will people still be willing to wait around to go on the rest of the mediocre rides?

Long story short, you could end up with a park that only has one ride that people like.

Those new pictures are awesome. Thank you!

And I'm really excited for the announcement tomorrow! $26 million to build? Sounds like a LOT just for a coaster.

Back