1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 649     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 924     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got a slow day at work and listened to that ridiculous radio show. Possibly the worst 'discussion' of transit policy I've ever heard.

Nearly all of the "facts" (usually followed by "and that's a fact!") we're 100% wrong. The lunatic logic spewing from callers was always met by "I 100% agree with you", without a single attempt to qualify or correct their rantings. Paul did correct the SAFE rep. once about SE-LRT's projected average speed, but he actually still framed it wrong.

Most of their questions and concerns had answers, but no one was there to answer them,

It reminds me of a debate style Sam Harris was talking about a little while ago. His uber-religious debate opponents will throw out streams of insane questions and statements, one after another....to the point where when he tries to go back and answer their concerns they're already slinging a dozen new one's. Anyone not informed in the topic hears 100 pro points , and 2 con points, and the debate is lost.

If myself, or any other "Pinko" were even there to balance the conversation, I'm not sure it would have made the slightest difference.

CP24: Georgio Mammoliti supports subways for Finch.

This is the first time I've ever heard someone mention a Finch subway.

Finch commuters to get subway, Ford vows
THURSDAY, MARCH 31, 2011
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2011/03/31/17826436.html

"We're going to improve the bus service (on Finch) and they will get subways within 10 years," Ford said, while announcing plans to extend the Sheppard line east and west for $4.2 billion.

"I committed to Sheppard and I'm delivering what I committed to do. Within 10 years, the people on Finch will get a subway, too."

Clearly stated, with a firm timeline. I assume someone close to him pointed out how preposterous this was, cuz he hasn't mentioned it in a while.

These twits don't care about subways. Their aim is to kill transit by promising the undoable.

After all his blither, has Ford come with a "plan" to fund his Sheppard subway dream?

Councillor Jaye Robinson makes a good case for subways ( insert favorite Ford phrase ) but is missing the fact so far on the funding; oops she just compromised by endorsing the 2 additional Sheppard stops and completing the rest with LRT.

More debate continues at 2pm steaming, and perhaps on Rogers channel 10 as Council has recessed at 12:30. Hopefully they can close this down today and get a vote done along with the amendments.

and Rob is predicting a boondoggle:
The downside of a clear victory on the LRT projects is that when these projects run over-schedule, over-budget and compromised (as they always do, and will certainly do with the mayor, an ideological third of council and a vocal segment of the population in the areas served running aggressive interference for the next several years), those who shouted loudest for the unsuitable and impossible fantasy projects will too easily be able to repeat over and over that none of these negatives would have happened if their lead had been followed.

The downside of a clear victory on the LRT projects is that when these projects run over-schedule, over-budget and compromised (as they always do, and will certainly do with the mayor, an ideological third of council and a vocal segment of the population in the areas served running aggressive interference for the next several years), those who shouted loudest for the unsuitable and impossible fantasy projects will too easily be able to repeat over and over that none of these negatives would have happened if their lead had been followed.

What TTC project has gone over budget, and schedule? Please do not say St. Clair. Stayed on budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back