Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

Last edited:
IIRC, not all buses on the Transitway will be strictly Transitway buses. Some will pull off before they even get to Renforth.

Correct.

Think of the transitway not as a route, but as a bus expressway. The backbone will be the Winston Churchill - Square One - Renforth - Airport / Kipling service, but many other routes will use the transitway as a faster way between the outlying areas and Square One.

Aug 28, 2011
I finally found time to take a walking tour of Phase I from Rathburn Rd to Fieldgate Rd.

From what I saw, this phase will not be completed until the end of 2013.

Have seen no signs of work for Phase II that's to go to Renforth considering work was supposed to start this year.

At the same time, various issues are holding up the building of the Regional Terminal at Kipling.

No work has started on the west section of the BRT under GO control.

At the rate this thing is moving, 2014 looks like the opening day for this thing.

I have broken the photo tour in to 5 parts to keep them short.
[video=youtube;X8PlX4c51DU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8PlX4c51DU[/video]
[video=youtube;l4tR9vYg0iQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4tR9vYg0iQ[/video]
[video=youtube;-2Z8zw4xiSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Z8zw4xiSA[/video]
[video=youtube;Yv9HzWy9_RY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv9HzWy9_RY[/video]
[video=youtube;ZmROCtA6h2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmROCtA6h2I[/video]

Aug 28, 2011
I finally found time to take a walking tour of Phase I from Rathburn Rd to Fieldgate Rd.

From what I saw, this phase will not be completed until the end of 2013.

Have seen no signs of work for Phase II that's to go to Renforth considering work was supposed to start this year.

At the same time, various issues are holding up the building of the Regional Terminal at Kipling.

No work has started on the west section of the BRT under GO control.

At the rate this thing is moving, 2014 looks like the opening day for this thing.

It sucks it is taking so long. Is there any reason for the delay, that is not political?

I have noticed some construction work by Erin Mills pkwy and the 403 on ramp, near the transmission line corridor. Is that unrelated? Or are they just finally building a sidewalk?

It sucks it is taking so long. Is there any reason for the delay, that is not political?

I have noticed some construction work by Erin Mills pkwy and the 403 on ramp, near the transmission line corridor. Is that unrelated? Or are they just finally building a sidewalk?

Erin Mills will see a new underpass for the BRT going west to Ridgeway and that is supposed to be a GO project.

The delay has to do with money and other issues. Sq One shot the ROW down on Rathburn and shows how much say they have around their property.

The city is rebuilding Hurontario bridge over Rathburn and that is delaying the building of the trench from Rathburn to the ROW. It is also delaying the building of a bridge at Sherwoodtown Dr.

I not sure if the new bypass lanes is open where Eastgate connects to the 403 so the rest of the bridge can be built to go under the 403 ramps for Cawthra.

From what I saw, a few unknowns have shown up and that has cause some design changes as well extra cost.

Not sure if it is true or not, but Hydro One does not want the Regional Terminal built under their overhead at Kipling now and have gone back on the agreement. The hamburger place is now close at Dundas that is part of this terminal plan.

I said in my 2004 report that this BRT ROW was going to cost about ($150 million without looking at the report) dollars more than the EA call for. Once the the 2 Sr level approved their share at a fix level, Mississauga was on the hook for all cost overruns. Even before the final funding was in place, various sections of the ROW was down graded due to cost. During the design stage, more down grading took place and even with those changes, the project was/is $57 million over budget with the mayor crying the blues since no one was going to give her that extra money.

As for phase II, I expected it came in over budget and they are trying to figure how to get the cost down.

With the government delaying funding and Ford killing TC, a rethinking of design Renforth terminal is underway.

Just my view

Last edited:
So they're building a bridge over Rathburn. The busway was supposed to be in a tunnel through the CIty Centre and stop underground in the City Centre terminal. Rathburn through MCC will be a mess of ramps, and is already becoming so. Won't look muck like a downtown there.

So they're building a bridge over Rathburn. The busway was supposed to be in a tunnel through the CIty Centre and stop underground in the City Centre terminal. Rathburn through MCC will be a mess of ramps, and is already becoming so. Won't look muck like a downtown there.

The City Centre station is supposed to be underground? That's pretty cool. The new underground station at Baseline in Ottawa is supposed to be opened in the next couple of weeks. It's right by my house, so I'll stop by and take some pictures just so that people here can have somewhat of a comparison.

The City Centre station is supposed to be underground? That's pretty cool. The new underground station at Baseline in Ottawa is supposed to be opened in the next couple of weeks. It's right by my house, so I'll stop by and take some pictures just so that people here can have somewhat of a comparison.

The station is underground in the current Sq One terminal, but the tunneling was going to cost $20-30m to connect to it and it was scrap.

There was to be a tunnel under Rathburn and Hurontario that connected to the ROW and it was scrap because of cost.

That tunnel is being replace by this open trench between the office building and Hurontario St sidewalk.

There is no bridges over Rathburn.

The plan ROW on Rathburn was plan to be used by this BRT, the plan Hurontario LRT and a few MT routes until SQ One Mall shot it down as it would interfere with the traffic trying to get to the mall. Poor baby's.

Cawthra, Tomken, Dixie roads will have a tunnel under them with stations like the ones in Ottawa. There will be parking lots there also.

Central Parkway will have a bridge and above ground station. No parking lot.

What was plan for getting this ROW under the off ramp for the eastbound lanes looks like it has been change to a ramp over the ROW now, not the tunnel. Similar to the on ramp seen in the photos.

April 29
I decided to take a walking tour of the Eastgate section to see how the camera was working after it 3rd repair and the poor shots I got on Thursday.

Still an issue with it and a good thing I didn't do the plan City tour around Toronto as it would be a waste.

I was surprised that somethings are still the same after a year and the section between Sq One and Eastgate/Fieldgate will be only open late fall 2013. Never check Eglinton, but nothing was going on from what I could see or have seen the last few weeks.

Various sections of the ROW is in place with 3 sub based coats of asphalt.

Central Parkway overpass is almost completed to the point the structural steel is almost completed for the westbound station. The sidewalk on the flyover is wide enough for riders to use to get to the west side of the road. Not sure if a ramp system will be use to get riders to/from the street. There is going to be traffic signal at street level.
The flyunder connecting to/from the 403 west of Cawthra is almost completed to the point the westbound lanes should be back in their original position by the summer. Once that happens, then the current eastbound lanes will be relocated to the north to use the new flyover and that should be completed by the fall.

The southbound lanes for Cawthra should be relocated to the new flyover should be open by the summer and this will complete the Cawthra road work.

The Cawthra Station is not setup for walk-in traffic, as it a long walk to it. Ramp system will be used to get riders from one side to the other side with a tunnel under the station.

No bridge over the creek yet.

The east side retaining wall for the flyover at Tomken Rd is been form, but nothing yet for the west side. Part of the Tomken station is in place.

Crews were busy working on installing new sewer and waterline at Dixie Rd well the intersection was partly close this weekend. A good section on the retaining wall for the flyunder station for Dixie Rd is almost completed to the point that steel framing for the eastbound section is setting on trailers to be install sometime this month.

Dixie Rd was not setup to close part of the road to start building the first section on the underpass.

The section east of Dixie Rd to Fieldgate hasn't change in the last year with the new overpass bridge still not built.

The remaining ROW land is still the same to Eglinton as well to the east.

There is over 200+ photos up on site.
7139317527_57858ec36b_b.jpg

Dixie Station
6993202240_a54938e1dc_b.jpg

6993190684_e8ddda5093_b.jpg

Tomken
6993034606_d6c7e53ee3_b.jpg

6993017532_1c61f02775_b.jpg

Cawthra Station
6993000536_260218fddd_b.jpg

6992995390_a6f9084916_b.jpg

6992990434_bcd9fdeaca_b.jpg

Cawthra
6992935702_93abcff58d_b.jpg

7139017177_b48469a73f_b.jpg

Cawthra Flyover
6992915432_a035daffbe_b.jpg

6992918922_460a11aa4f_b.jpg

New eastbound lanes
6991963296_cba973ca18_b.jpg

7137846077_900ca7ed5e_b.jpg

6991616072_ab9d19dc57_b.jpg

6991607090_2b406566d1_b.jpg

7137636341_792a3d5268_b.jpg

Rathburn
6991373032_61f3e4d64f_b.jpg

6990495996_e1c487faf8_b.jpg

I still can't over the fact that this BRT seems like a waste of money since it doesn't seem to go anywhere. I hope I'm proven wrong though.

Hard to tell from the photos (thanks for those btw!), but I'm assuming the stations will all be 4 lanes to allow for buses to pass each other when in the stations?

All stations are 4 lanes with some being tight.

The Rathburn connection to the ROW looks very tight both in the photos as well looking at in person.

I still call this the "GO Transit Thing", as it will server GO more than MT.

It will be interesting to see what the 2020 numbers will look like, as I have stated ridership will be less than projected.

Since this thing is already years behind schedule and well over budget, I am waiting to see what the final cost is. My final cost were will above everyone. Based on what I have heard so far to numbers related to contracts awarded so far, it going to be well above the original projected cost. Over $100 million.

All stations are 4 lanes with some being tight.

The Rathburn connection to the ROW looks very tight both in the photos as well looking at in person.

I still call this the "GO Transit Thing", as it will server GO more than MT.

It will be interesting to see what the 2020 numbers will look like, as I have stated ridership will be less than projected.

Since this thing is already years behind schedule and well over budget, I am waiting to see what the final cost is. My final cost were will above everyone. Based on what I have heard so far to numbers related to contracts awarded so far, it going to be well above the original projected cost. Over $100 million.

What will be the final approximate cost? Too lazy to look it up.

Back