News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 836     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Another original Scarborough house - this one 170 years old!

TNScottHouse.jpg

It's part of the Baton Rouge chain now? That must have happened fairly recently.

It's part of the Baton Rouge chain now? That must have happened fairly recently.

The Old Scott House on Progress Ave. in Scarborough (following my own advice!) has been a "Baton Rouge" restaurant for over a year, maybe two.

I believe 'brewster' did something similar to this in another string:

TNKingstonRdatCliffside.jpg

I used kind of the same B/A photo Goldie. Since I lost all my photo's maybe you could start up a Scarborough Then & Now and I could re-post them.I'm sure we have enough between us to make a go of it. Is that a big ice cream cone to the left of the gas station?

Then and Now for Sep 16.

Then. Grace and Mansfield, NE corner. 1916 'Church of St. Francis of Assisi. Arthur W. Holmes, Architect.'

183GraceMansfieldNEc1916.jpg

Now. June 2011. The houses on the left are still there. I wonder - wishful thinking - if that tree on the right is the same in both pictures.

184.jpg

I'll be away as usual until Sunday night. There is the real possibility that because of my switchover to a new internet service, I may be offline past Sunday and into next week.. I'll do my best to expedite things and try to rejoin you all as soon as I can.

Another original Scarborough house - this one 170 years old!

TNScottHouse.jpg

A wonderful building, and I can accept the wooden patio fences, but they have three contrasting and clashing signs & banners with Baton Rouge on them plus the yellow ones with who-knows-what on them. If the people responsible for that mishmash go uncensured we'll have to send an apology to Pizza Pizza.

A wonderful building, and I can accept the wooden patio fences, but they have three contrasting and clashing signs & banners with Baton Rouge on them plus the yellow ones with who-knows-what on them. If the people responsible for that mishmash go uncensured we'll have to send an apology to Pizza Pizza.

They have, for the moment, avoided painting the building a garish colour. Something for which Pizza Pizza seems to think is a normal event when adding a location.

Interesting that in brewsters Bloor pictures above can be spied an early Pizza Pizza, before the personality change set in. :)

I'm intrigued by these two--not least by how the big-box Shoppers just can't match the bright, effortless main-street 50s-supermarket-retail urbanity of its predecessor. (Notice how the new *doesn't* address the intersection, while the old does.)

But also...what was Thrift?!? I kinda remember it, bearded Scotsguy and all; but dunno whether it was specific to this location, or even whether it was a standalone or a mini-chain, or affiliated with any LoblawDominionWhatever whatchamacallits. (And probably didn't patronize it; after all, a store called "Thrift" on Queen East at its early 80s blue-collar-decline nadir wasn't exactly an appetizing prospect. Kinda like how the Parliament No Frills gives people the willies these days--not that Thrift actually was like that, but...)

I'm also wondering if this location later became a Howie's (a homegrown discount-pharmacy-chain phenomenon before it was bought out by Shoppers; great place to get one's fix of 200-gram Cheetos for 99 cents)

It was an area in decline in the early 1980's. I lived on Bertmount Ave back then & there were several used appliance stores & used book stores dotting the landscape. I seem to recall walking past several places that had closed up shop. There was an establishment at the corner of Bermount & Queen that was closed for years. The Thrift grocery store was not the cleanest store in town. I seem to remember that Colgate-Palmolive was just down the road on Carlaw.

What a difference 30 years can make.

I would go with around 1982-83ish. Notice the A.E. LePage sign. It's still a very nice looking building.

Thanks Mustapha for posting.

Andrew's cone

Is that a big ice cream cone to the left of the gas station?

I think the huge cone may have been on top of the restaurant belonging to Andrew's Motel which is still to the east of that site (see attached photos)
The drive-in restaurant was a favourite hangout for teens in the 1950s. I remember it well!
The motel has probably been there for more than 60 years but the restaurant portion of the motel is now being used as a political campaign headquarters (Sept/2011).

Attachments

• Andrews Motel.jpg
    Andrews Motel.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 306
I think the huge cone may have been on top of the restaurant belonging to Andrew's Motel which is still to the east of that site (see attached photos)
The drive-in restaurant was a favourite hangout for teens in the 1950s. I remember it well!
The motel has probably been there for more than 60 years but the restaurant portion of the motel is now being used as a political campaign headquarters (Sept/2011).

I was thinking Dairy Queen.

Back