News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I saw the Google car in my neighbourhood a couple of weeks ago so maybe updated Streetviews are on their way;)

Would Google be in the position to offer (or allow for) *archival* Streetviews, by any chance?

Then and Now for Sep 13.

Then. Queen and Carlaw, 1982, looking west along Queen. Picture sourced by Valshere.

More than a few overhead wires here for moe45673 to admire. :)

177QueenCarlaw1982.jpg

Now. June 2011.

178.jpg

I'm intrigued by these two--not least by how the big-box Shoppers just can't match the bright, effortless main-street 50s-supermarket-retail urbanity of its predecessor. (Notice how the new *doesn't* address the intersection, while the old does.)

But also...what was Thrift?!? I kinda remember it, bearded Scotsguy and all; but dunno whether it was specific to this location, or even whether it was a standalone or a mini-chain, or affiliated with any LoblawDominionWhatever whatchamacallits. (And probably didn't patronize it; after all, a store called "Thrift" on Queen East at its early 80s blue-collar-decline nadir wasn't exactly an appetizing prospect. Kinda like how the Parliament No Frills gives people the willies these days--not that Thrift actually was like that, but...)

I'm also wondering if this location later became a Howie's (a homegrown discount-pharmacy-chain phenomenon before it was bought out by Shoppers; great place to get one's fix of 200-gram Cheetos for 99 cents)

Would Google be in the position to offer (or allow for) *archival* Streetviews, by any chance?

I'm sure they will archive the old images for whatever research or academic purpose the future may bring.

I wonder what people use Streetview for now? Myself, I use it to give me an idea of whether a building is there before I go out to shoot a 'Now'. I also use it to 'walk' around a hotel neighbourhood to see if I want to book a prospective hotel in any given city. Finally, I use it to 'revisit' places I've been - to see the changes..

What are the dates on those two pics?

Mustapha, thanks for the continuing series on hot wire on wire action ;)

Oh yeah, and the whole rest of this thread!

I'm just one of the facilitators here. You're welcome just the same.

'wire on wire action'... easy cowboy, this is a family friendly forum. :)

It has been suggested (by the powers that be) that I post the following:

THE BELOW WAS SUBMITTED ON THE WIND.CA CELL PHONE FORUM IN REPLY TO A QUESTION:

"In 1972 I had a Bell Mobile installed in my auto; yes, I was one of those 350 in

Ontario that had a 'phone in my car, at the monthly rate of I believe, $35.00

per month and it was a "partyline". Thirteen chanels were "available", with many

subscribers having only two, with me having full access. (13) Regular landline rate

was $7.00? per month.

Enter Interconnect.

Mobile service went down? in base price but a user charge per minute was

levied - $.15/$.20/$.25 . My mobile 'phone bill averaged $ 400.00/ MONTH

in 1970's dollars!"

MY ABOVE QUOTE.

WHAT WAS NOT REVIELED IN THE ABOVE QUOTE WAS THAT THERE WERE 2 PHONES IN THE LINCOLN,

ONE IN THE FRONT AND AN EXTENTION 'PHONE IN THE BACK! THE ADDITIONAL

'PHONE TOOK BELL 3 MONTHS TO ENGINEER AND HAD A MONTHLY RATE OF $7.00.

SOME TIME AFTER INTERCONNECT ARRIVED, I WANTED TO BUY MY OWN SYSTEM.

RETURNING THEIR EQUIPTMENT WAS NOT A PROBLEM, HOWEVER THEY HAD NEVER CHARGED ME FOR THE "EXTENTION PHONE"!

AFTER HAVING BEEN CONNECTED TO BELL'S "BACK OFFICE" I SPOKE WITH THE MAN THAT HAD THE HARDWARE ENGINEERED.

"YES, WE HAVE NOT INVOICED YOU, THE REASON BEING THAT TO DO SO WOULD REQUIRE AN APPLICATION BEFORE THE CRTC;

NOT COST EFFECTIVE"! MY QUESTION TO HIM NATURALLY WAS THEN "WHY DID YOU BUILD IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?"

HIS REPLY FLOORED ME. (SAID IN A FRIENDLY TONE) "JACK, WE ARE BELL CANADA AND WE LIKE TO KEEP OUR SUSCRIBER'S HAPPY."

KIND REGARDS,
J T

How's the equipment working nowadays? :) Seriously, I had one of the battery-in-a-shoulder bag cell phones in 1989. Very liberating, the early cell phones. I think for many they have become something like an prisoner's electronic monitoring bracelet..

It just might catch on in a Masonic secret-handshake-kind-of-way.

Earlscourt-Lad's mention of 'Lloydbrook' - you can imagine how all of this went down with non-English speaking immigrants back in the day. My Asian ancestors would have pronounced it 'Roydblook'. :) Kidding, just kidding.

I do remember how one poised oneself with a pen when taking down a phone number. You paid extra attention for those first two letters.

I'm intrigued by these two--not least by how the big-box Shoppers just can't match the bright, effortless main-street 50s-supermarket-retail urbanity of its predecessor. (Notice how the new *doesn't* address the intersection, while the old does.)

But also...what was Thrift?!? I kinda remember it, bearded Scotsguy and all; but dunno whether it was specific to this location, or even whether it was a standalone or a mini-chain, or affiliated with any LoblawDominionWhatever whatchamacallits. (And probably didn't patronize it; after all, a store called "Thrift" on Queen East at its early 80s blue-collar-decline nadir wasn't exactly an appetizing prospect. Kinda like how the Parliament No Frills gives people the willies these days--not that Thrift actually was like that, but...)

I'm also wondering if this location later became a Howie's (a homegrown discount-pharmacy-chain phenomenon before it was bought out by Shoppers; great place to get one's fix of 200-gram Cheetos for 99 cents)

Nothing like Cheetos to mark one's fingers and lips making you look like some sort of snack hound youngster. :)

Now and Then for Sep 15.

Then. 235 Carlaw. c1916. 'Front and side exterior. W.M. Wrigley Jr. factory.' Picture sourced by wwwebster.

181235Carlawc1916.jpg

Now. June 2011. Gum isn't made here any longer. You can lease office space here now. Sorry about the converging lines of the buildings upper floors. I couldn't stand any further back. The Wrigleys brands are now owned by the Mars family; who also own M&Ms, Snickers, Altoids, etc.

By the way, the Wrigleys Building in Chicago is an absolute gem.

182.jpg

I think I have the view from the back of the Old Scott House here Goldie with the pool. No way to Now/Then this as the back is so built up so much so Then/back , Now/front. Nice photo you used , never seen that one before.

SCOTT by Mr T.O., on Flickr

'The Wrigley's brands are now owned by the Mars family" QUOTE Mustapha.

Yes, the Mars family own their companies - their own, Private Companies!

After having trudged up to the second floor condo sales office, I walked around looking at the "layout".

Not one of the "sales team" could answer my question: "Who is the tall man standing in the centre of

that group (line) of men?" Of course I had to tell them, for it was he whom had built the Canadian company

and it's 235 Carlaw office/plant; J Allan Ross.

A picture of one of Mr Ross's homes is displayed on The Toronto Archives to which I will copy to our "Fearless Leader"

aka Mustapha which he may diseminate here. Another of his dwellings was/is on the N/W corner of Heath St & , &,

and, AND! Timothy Eaton Church & St Clair. (Stone masonry, tile roof, coach house, circular drive.)

If any of his grand kids ever read this, yes, I have read "The Book"!

Regards,
J T

Various internet sites have pictures of 16' ceilings in there... very cool.

Back