News   Mar 28, 2024
 228     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 219     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 277     0 

Canadian media & the CRTC

MTV's programming is different from Much and the ratings are far smaller. I wouldn't think it'll make much of a difference.

Their programming is different, but I've actually found them getting more and more similar. Much Music now focuses less on music and more on gossip, etc. You'd think they'd focus more on music since that's the major advantage they have over MTV.

CTV initially got the MTV licensing in order to compete with Much. Are they just going to let the MTV brand slowly fade away? Will it take advantage of the high profile location? It may not happen in the near future, but I can see a point where one of them gets forced out.

MTV was a sneaky attempt by CTV to compete with Much to begin with. It was the conversion of their "talk" license (TalkTV) to something that is the furthest from what that license is meant for. "The Hills Aftershow" hardly passes for intelligent talk television, but basically is CTV's way of having MTV and still fulfilling the requirements of their talk license for the channel. All this speaks to how ineffective the CRTC is in actually REGULATING licenses after they dish them out. The problem is that now CTV pretty much has a monopoly on the music-youthlifestyle segment of broadcasting, with Much, MTV, MMM, and then the channels that actually play music videos, PunchMuch, MuchMoreRetro, MuchLoud, and MuchVibe. It also doesn't help that CHUM got the other youth-license back when it took over Craig, taking over the then MTV Canada, and turning it into Razr.

Simply put, I agree -- CRTC has f'ed things up badly with the Craig-CHUM-CTV/Rogers storyline, which seriously doesn't bode well for smaller media companies that stubbornly hold on to their small portion of the media dials.

And if you notice on the OneStop screens on the subway, it is no longer CityTV or CityNews - it's all CP24, which means CTV took over the deal CHUMCity had with OneStop.

Their programming is different, but I've actually found them getting more and more similar. Much Music now focuses less on music and more on gossip, etc. You'd think they'd focus more on music since that's the major advantage they have over MTV.

I've noticed the same thing. It's all celeb gossip now. Which only makes me want to watch Much even less now.
Seems 3 times out of 5 now when I switch to Much on my TV, it's not a music video that I see.

Who wants to see music videos anymore? Maybe they just ought to hive it all off to MuchMoreMusic...

Anyone else notice that even though CP24 still has BT in the morning (which is strange), the commercials are no longer the same as on Citytv!

Hmm every time I've watched BT, the commercials on CP24 and CityTV would be the same, if I flicked back and forth.

Since CTV now owns CP24, CTV is controlling the commercial time on CP 24 (Thus you will see CTV promos for shows like W-FIVE on CP 24). As far as the programming goes, it is still a bit awkward for all parties, but this transition will take some time.

On another note about CITY... if you want to read a good yarn, go to blogto.com to check out the venemous attack on the recently fired News head honcho posted by numerous relieved CITY employees.

To complicate matters further, in October, CHUM/CTV/Rogers applied for this:

18. Across Canada
Application No. 2007-0921-4
Application by CHUM Limited (CHUM), partner together with its wholly-owned subsidiary 1640576 Ontario Inc. (1640576), in a general partnership carrying on business as Pulse 24 Partnership (Pulse 24), for authority to transfer a minority partnership interest (20%) in Pulse 24, to Rogers Broadcasting Limited (Rogers). Pulse 24 is the licensee of the English-language specialty television service known as CablePulse24.
Following this transaction, Rogers will become a partner together with CHUM (79.99% partnership interest) and 1640576 (0.01% partnership interest) in Pulse 24. CHUM will continue to exercise effective control of CablePulse 24.
The applicant is also requesting, on behalf of the new partners, a new licence to be issued to CHUM, Rogers and 1640576, partners in Pulse 24, under the same terms and conditions in effect under the current licence.
Applicant's address:

299 Queen Street West
Toronto, Ontario
M5V 2Z5
Fax: 416-340-7005
E-Mail: keving@chumlimited.com
Examination of application:

Note that CHUM = CTV now, they had to do these dealings under the CHUM name still because the takeover deal hadn't been completed at the time of this filing..

But this means for the time being, Rogers will own 20% of CP24, though CTV will control the station. I wonder if this will be an ongoing arrangement or did they have to do this during the transition period in order to allow CP24 to continue airing CityNews and City programs....

nah that's not possible since the license for CP24 is specifically only for Toronto, unless CTV/Rogers moves out to apply for new licenses.

Global was looking at establishing 24-hour news channels in Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver, but IIRC, they got the license, but didn't go ahead -- the economics didn't make sense. I don't see CP24 being a particularly profitable enterprise either if wasn't for the Toronto Market being substantially larger.

Back