News   Apr 18, 2024
 851     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 401     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

the government should never allowed these areas to be developed without massive amounts of money that would go to transit. and why is everything condo or 2000 sq ft house. what ever happened to town houses.

the government should never allowed these areas to be developed without massive amounts of money that would go to transit. and why is everything condo or 2000 sq ft house. what ever happened to town houses.

I was thinking that too. Maybe that should be part of the deal if your immediate area is getting a new subway extension.. Your (now more valuable) single family home lot shouldn't be available for demolishing/erecting a large mcmansion but have those residential streets zoned for townhouse development (or otherwise pay a very large development fee). It's not like there's no demand for townhouses.. look at Linea on Bayview. They sell for $1M or more. The whole area should have these types of units built and not just on the arterials (increase the supply, and give more options for more families).

I don't know, but I suspect townhouses are rare because small time land developers don't have the $$ ability to land assemble (plus the neighbours will complain) so it is cheaper and easier for them to just demolish the existing structure on a single lot and put up something huge. Re-development restrictions would put some downward pressure on land prices so people who advocate for subways (as opposed to GO trains) so that they can capture the land value increase in their properties wouldn't benefit as much.

the government should not allow developing remote areas or bring transit there when downtown and midtown are still far from dense. It is stupid for a city to unstoppingly develop in one direction (north) while the vast land closer to the city core remains largely sparse populated and under-developed.
Looking at Toronto now, the city is disproportionately centered along Yonge St. Outside downtown, 800 meters away from Yonge, you see the suburbs.

Do you think that the house / apartment footage is always directly proportional to its distance from the Union station?

There are pretty large houses in Forest Hill, and pretty small apartments in the new buildings along the northern sections of Yonge etc (even north of Steeles).

No, I don't. Of course there are large homes closer to downtown and small condos in the suburbs. However, ask around why people (who make 30k to 100K) choose to live that far, most would say it is because you get more space. Can't deny that.

I am so sick of these $750,000 shoebox BS. Even in the downtown core, $750,000 can purchase a 1000-1200 sf condo, which is big enough for a 4 member family, not to mention in many periphery areas close to downtown/midtown. We are not in Manhattan, and $750,000 still can goes a long way, unless you expect some sort of 5 bedroom house with a gigantic yard.

People here don't seem to like living with what is actually necessary. For example, A family AND a livingroom is ridiculous. Why do you need both? A guest room that's vacant for 350 days of the year is absolutely redundant. Even a separate formal dining-room is too much. Do you really have formal dinners that often?

The truth is, 90% families can live in condos and apartments. A 3 person family can live comfortably in a 800 sf condo, while a 4 person one can do well with 1000sf. Look at Japan and how they make the best use of their space. Many of you guys just don't want to and choose to live 40 km away from the city and then whine about traffic.

Oh please tell that to all the fixed income families far from decent transit(Rexdale, Jane&Finch), since dollar store food and clothing is optional these days...

No, I don't. Of course there are large homes closer to downtown and small condos in the suburbs. However, ask around why people (who make 30k to 100K) choose to live that far, most would say it is because you get more space. Can't deny that.

That behavioral pattern certainly exists. But the debate on suburban / outer urban transit should not be focused on this pattern only.

Some people choose to live in poorer suburban areas because they cannot afford anything else. Some settle (or stay) outside the core due to the family situation.

Furthermore, not everybody who lives far from downtown wants or needs to commute there. There exists significant demand for local trips, as well as trips to secondary nodes like North York.

Oh please tell that to all the fixed income families far from decent transit(Rexdale, Jane&Finch), since dollar store food and clothing is optional these days...

I don't see the point of staying in an expensive city such as Toronto for someone depending on fixed income. Again, it is a personal choice. If the government gives me $500 to live on and I have no other income, I'd not choose to live on Upper East Side NYC or Mayfair in London. I would choose a place with lowest cost to maximize my purchase power.

That behavioral pattern certainly exists. But the debate on suburban / outer urban transit should not be focused on this pattern only.

Some people choose to live in poorer suburban areas because they cannot afford anything else. Some settle (or stay) outside the core due to the family situation.

Furthermore, not everybody who lives far from downtown wants or needs to commute there. There exists significant demand for local trips, as well as trips to secondary nodes like North York.

Suppose a poor area has 60% of the rent of a decent area, then why not settling with 60% of the space in that decent area? My argument still stands. I don't know about the rent at Jane and Finch, but there is plenty of 1 bedroom apartment at St Jametowns/Regent Park etc for a pretty lower price. As I mentioned, I have stayed in a house near Allen Garden for $400 (there are even cheaper ones), and I wonder how much cheaper Jane/Finch can be.

I agree with you that not everyone who lives far wants to commute downtown, then there is not so much a need to have transit bringing them to downtown. As to local suburban trips, buses suffice. You can't really expect the government to use tax payers money to build subways links two sparsely populated suburbs, right? The ridership won't warrant building one. From what I see now, most of the folks on the Finch bus go to Yonge st and take the Yonge line down. I hope they don't come often and therefore there is no need to spend money building subways up there.

Last edited:
it is actually not. It just becomes whether the Sheppard line, or anything in the suburbs, SHOULD be expanded.

It's very tangentially related. The discussion taking place is "Should there be suburban subway expansion" not "Sheppard Subway Expansion". But I digress.

Agree. Another possible reason being the jobs for many of those living in certain suburban areas of the city do not exist in significant numbers in the downtown core. Blue-collar employments I believe are concentrated in the suburbs. I think we have to stop thinking Toronto north of Eglinton, or the 401 as a wasteland.

I agree with the previous comment about this thread having gone off topic. It's more or less delved into a discussion about cost of living, property value, and rent.

However, in the discussion's heart remains the underlying question: Should we be building costly high order rapid transit that will remain half empty for +20 years until zoning changes and redevelopment projects increase ridership along the line?

My two cents: No.

This is sort of related to this talked of Sheppard Subway expansion. I was on the GO website and was trying to get some information about the GO Agincourt Station makeover and grade seperation. GO website didn't have any information on this but directed me to visit the Sheppard East LRT site. The funding for this line is still going ahead-despite Ford's declaration and directing the already established funding to the Eglinton Crosstown LRT? Glad the grade seperation is still happening though (with or without LRT) it is still needed. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea where the funding for this important piece of infrastructure is coming from?

I agree with the previous comment about this thread having gone off topic. It's more or less delved into a discussion about cost of living, property value, and rent.

However, in the discussion's heart remains the underlying question: Should we be building costly high order rapid transit that will remain half empty for +20 years until zoning changes and redevelopment projects increase ridership along the line?

My two cents: No.

I say if we've built the DRL and we've built Eglinton, why on earth wouldn't we finish Sheppard?

Back