News   Mar 28, 2024
 252     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 238     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

Jeepers, I'm a Dipper?

I'd vote for Rae if he were running in my riding.

In fact, as a leader I think he'd be much, much better than Ignatieff. He's a great speaker, and actually comes across as being honest. Unfortunately, he has an unfortunate political past. It would have been interesting though if Rae were leader of the Liberals at this time. I wonder if the NDP vote would have gone to him instead.

I would say that the NDP and PC's rep' old rural Canada the best, and that explains their appeal vs the Lib's in Western Canada.
There is a huge difference between the NDP from the west and the NDP in central Canada. In the west, they actually are fiscally responsible, or at least try to be. In central Canada, it seems like the NDP think balancing budgets is a completely foreign and irrelevant concept. It's just bizarre.

I would vote provincial NDP in Saskatchewan, but I won't vote federal or provincial NDP in Ontario. At least not at this point anyway.

Last edited:
I'd vote for Rae if he were running in my riding.

In fact, as a leader I think he'd be much, much better than Ignatieff. He's a great speaker, and actually comes across as being honest. Unfortunately, he has an unfortunate political past. It would have been interesting though if Rae were leader of the Liberals at this time. I wonder if the NDP vote would have gone to him instead.

I am normally a Liberal voter and I know darned well that Rae will win Toronto Centre, where I live and vote.

This time, call my actions "strategic voting" - that is to say, I will put my lot in with the NDP in order to shrink the margin of Rae's victory, to send a message to him. I hope a significant number of others will do the same (and that is part of strategic voting, too). The Liberals have been stubbornly arrogant again, ignoring that they have a leadership vacuum; that's my message.

Oh, and I fully expect that Rae will run again for the leadership ...

beware of the scam phone call from number (450) 760-7746..coming from a landline in Joliette Quebec telling people their voting locations have changed!!!! its a scam!!! go to the place specified on your voters card!!!!

"update" I called elections Canada and they are investigating to try to determine the source.

Last edited by a moderator:
This time, call my actions "strategic voting" - that is to say, I will put my lot in with the NDP in order to shrink the margin of Rae's victory, to send a message to him. I hope a significant number of others will do the same (and that is part of strategic voting, too).
As a Toronto Centre voter I'll be joining you tonight in voting NDP. I know Rae will win it hands down, in fact I don't even know the NDP candidate, but the Liberals need to be sent a message that if they don't get their act together there are no safe ridings.

Looks like a long-shot for the NDP candidate in Toronto Centre (Susan Wallace): http://www.projectdemocracy.ca/toronto-centre

A few of these polls have the conservative candidate polling a bit higher than her. Neither have a chance in hell of beating Rae (even with vote splitting). But still, a conservative candidate beating an NDP candidate in Toronto Centre? Gross! I'll bet this is a unique situation created by Bob Rae, but when your alternative is to vote conservative......

Last edited:
Admiral, out of curiosity and as an indicator of what we might find out within the hour, were you a Liberal who is abandoning the Libs because it would be a lost vote? Traditionally, NDP voters abandon them last minute and vote Liberal instead. If the roles are reversed today, it's totally possible that we might get a straight up Layton minority. Fingers crossed.

My goodness, this is NOT the case in Manitoba. Nothing could be further from the truth.
OK, maybe I should have just said Saskatchewan. They actually balance budgets there, and when they don't, they run deficits for good reasons and in a responsible manner.

Allan Blakeney, we'll miss you.

OK, maybe I should have just said Saskatchewan.
This goes to show that the party name is meaningless, or at least not transferable across all provinces. It's not like there is a national cabal of Dippers that run the NDP organizations across the country. They just license or own trademark of the name and logo in each province.

SK: The birthplace of medicare in Canada.
ON: Rae days.
QC: Vacationing in Vegas during an election campaign.

SK: The birthplace of medicare in Canada.
ON: Rae days.
QC: Vacationing in Vegas during an election campaign.

Since the alternative to "Rae days" was firing a lot of people, I think he made the right decision. (Remember that there was a global recession at the time.)

Back