Toronto Minto775 King West | ?m | 17s | Minto Group | Hariri Pontarini

Paul Wolf wasn't doing anything? A great and convenient electrical supply store downtown that will be missed. Well you can still drive up to Alliance and there will soon be a home depot in the area with inferior products and selection.

This is a very basic rendering. I don't see how anybody can pronounce definitively on it yet? As is, it looks fine. Nice in-fill. Not every building has to be a marvel.

The amount of construction that has happened - and will happen - from Spadina to Bathurst and from Queen to Front is quite incredible. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of about fourteen new buildings built or under construction in that vicinity within the last five or six years. That does not include the ones to come.

Paul Wolf wasn't doing anything? A great and convenient electrical supply store downtown that will be missed.

I don't doubt that it was a good electrical supply store, but for a speciality store to take up most of a city block, with ample surface parking, isn't exactly the best use of the space here, I'm sure you'll agree. That's all I meant to say.

Not a big fan of this one, not of the tower portion at least. The balconies look rather awkward.

Paul Wolf wasn't doing anything? A great and convenient electrical supply store downtown that will be missed. Well you can still drive up to Alliance and there will soon be a home depot in the area with inferior products and selection.

The place was an eyesore. It constituted an ugly void in the continous streetscape along King West. It is no longer an industrial area, so Paul Wolf's exit was inevitable. They did the right thing, as opposed to the abatoir two blocks south which still refuses to sell and move on...
In regards to the original design, it didn't break new ground, however, it fitted nicely with the context and improved that corner of Tecumeseth and King. It also integrated relatively well with the existing condos to the west (Gotham and Cityscape) and the townhouses to the south. I happen to attend two community meetings a couple of years ago where the architects at the time (Hariri & Pontarini) and the developers presented the project.
In the second meeting David Pontarini presented a much improved design after comments and suggestions from the public at the first meeting. It was a sensible design.
Having said that, with new architect and developer on board, I will comment further on the design only after seeing the new proposal-and I'm truly hoping they keep the original one.

June 11

From King West and Tecumseth looking southwest. They are doing some excavating.
2575025196_bbe5b56476_b.jpg

Looking south.
2575025212_af5d388465_b.jpg

They may be starting some soil remediation here - I would not be surprised if the soil on the site of a former electrical supplies store might have some questionable ingredients in it...

June 26

Looking southwest. Blue trailer in the background. Preparation for a future sales office in the foreground?
2615691633_226a9e868e_b.jpg

Looking south.
2615691645_b364ddcba0_b.jpg

Looking southeast with the top of Sixty Loft on Bathurst visible in the background.
2615691651_f05b5f59ed_b.jpg

Trailer and rebar.
2615691669_282e451973_b.jpg

I guess my info was wrong however, that's a lot of re-bar and falsework for a temporary sales centre

Back