News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 661     0 

Cabbagetown

I'm going to assume Coffee Time is dead, because the thought of them doing a renovation makes me LOLz.

Yes, I too wonder if that sign isn't an outright lie. There's certainly no work going on in there, and how could that place make enough money to pay for the electricity, never mind a renovation?

Any more ideas? We now have two large units available (Carlton/Parliament, Winchester/Parliament). The problem is that the Cabbagetowners don't seem to shop/eat on Parliament, because the demographics of the neighborhood don't fit with the type of retail available. It's a chicken and egg kind of thing...

What about a vet? Do we have any vets?

I don't know about vets...I can't think of any. I don't know that I agree about the locals not shopping and eating in Cabbagetown. Or maybe I just do, as I am of moderate means. There's certainly exceptions. At any rate, there's LOTS of empty space between Gerrard and Wellesley now. I only hope it fills in under the influence of nice Cabbagetown, rather than succumbing to the dark forces of bad Cabbagetown. Perhaps the Regent Park redevelopment will cause some retailers to consider trying to get in on the ground floor?

I tried the new, much improved hole-in-the-wall Thai place on the south side of Gerrard (between Sackville and River, I believe...I'm missing a small street, there). It's take out only, and while it was of good quality, the portions were small for the price paid. Comparable to Ginger, I guess. Also, the old Towne Grill looks only a week or so away from re-opening as something else. I haven't heard anything about it, but the furniture looks fairly swanky.

Oh, and the Lamp Cage (the old site of Chapter 11) is now open. They've got more lamps than anyone else on the street, I'd venture. Not that exciting, really.

In other news, the Paradise Bar is often filled with 17 year olds. At least it's not really scary anymore.

If we had a chain bookstore (as opposed to a hobby used book store) I'd definitely shop on Parliament. As it is, I shop there now. My kids dance at the Children's Dance School, I shop at Home Hardware all the time, I practically live at Tim Hortons, I eat at House on Parliament and Peartree at least once every month or so, I bank at CIBC, shop at No Frills, get my hair cut at the CT Barbershop, buy my magazines at the International News store, and will definitely support Starbucks.

I just sent a note to Pam McConnell asking her to try to stop the Wing Machine liquor license.

Yeah, the scooter crew is unassailable. They're now getting their coffee from Tim Hortons, and if Tim Hortons went under, they'd start making their own right on that corner.
That's one of the great things about Canada, old man winter will soon take care of the problem, at least until Spring thaw.

If we had a chain bookstore (as opposed to a hobby used book store) I'd definitely shop on Parliament. As it is, I shop there now. My kids dance at the Children's Dance School, I shop at Home Hardware all the time, I practically live at Tim Hortons, I eat at House on Parliament and Peartree at least once every month or so, I bank at CIBC, shop at No Frills, get my hair cut at the CT Barbershop, buy my magazines at the International News store, and will definitely support Starbucks.

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you guys, but I don't know if we speak for the majority.

I'm intruiged by the Town Grill's new tenants. From what I've heard, the Town Grill went under for not-completely-market-related reasons, so there is definitely a chance for success in that location.

We use Cabbagetown Pet Clinic at 239 Gerrard E. They are very good there.
Also Tops and Tails for grooming across the street from the vet.

The motor scooter people are very nice. I don't have an issue with them at all. They always smile or say hello and sometimes pet my dog.

I'm intruiged by the Town Grill's new tenants. From what I've heard, the Town Grill went under for not-completely-market-related reasons, so there is definitely a chance for success in that location.

I know that one of the former owners of the Towne Grill also runs the Ben Wicks. He's a friend of a friend, and I think they told me the story as to why the TG closed, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I'll ask next time I get a chance. Gossip is fun ;).

I do remember that the Towne Grill was on "Restaurant Makeover" not long before it closed.

The motor scooter people are very nice. I don't have an issue with them at all. They always smile or say hello and sometimes pet my dog.

I can't speak for all here, but I don't have any particular beef with the scooter crew myself. That being said, I wouldn't miss them should they ever disappear. Truth be told, I'm somewhat fascinated by them. Such a demographic range, with seemingly nothing to do all day everyday, meeting on the sidewalk in front of a closed down coffee time to do nothing in particular together, many of them coming together through the common bond of having given up on walking. It will be interesting to see if they re-form after the winter; assuming that the winter will put an end to their impromptu jamborees.

On another note, I'm really pleased with the new building at Aberdeen and Parliament. They're using brick (I assumed precast), and the bricks have some colour variation. It's looking like a winner, I'm very egar to see the glass in and the hording taken away to get a look at the retail element. I hope in years to come they take out the block down to "Johnny G's" and replace it with something similar.

Took a coat to Del Ray on Parliament this morning. They really are the best. Last month they cleaned a tweed overcoat that I inherited from my father, mended the lining, and made it look as new as it was in 1965.

Looks like The Towne Grill is being replaced by Omi Sushi. If I'm not mistaken, Omi's former home was on Church, no?

I recall it being expensive. Nothing will ever top Sushi Today. RIP.

Looks like The Towne Grill is being replaced by Omi Sushi. If I'm not mistaken, Omi's former home was on Church, no?

I recall it being expensive. Nothing will ever top Sushi Today. RIP.

I'm not sure if Omi was on Queen, but it's on Carlton now. It looks expensive and I'm not sure if it's really minimal decor or still incomplete; It seems a bit bare inside.

Is there a better neighborhood in which to enjoy autumn? I think not.

Well, maybe, but who cares.

Indeed. If there's anything better in this world, who cares?

I'm looking forward to my first free weekend in seven weeks. I'll be at Riverdale Farm tomorrow, continuing my attempts to communicate with the ducks, should anyone care to join me. Seriously, I've done it with the Turkey's.

Should I have any funds available, I may even enjoy a pint or two at the HOP tomorrow evening.

Back