Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

I think the reason I like it so much is because it reminds me of this.

That's a great building, though I find the comparison to 1970s buildings and Brutalism to be not just in the shape of the podium, but to its potential massiveness. It could be wonderfully detailed but overpoweringly big. That kind of architecture that makes people feel small without actually being monumental generally isn't well received by the public. In the 1960s-1970s, I suppose that the attached monorail (skywalks or underground walkways in other cases) meant that it didn't matter how it felt to be walking past such buildings on the ground, but we ultimately realized that people are still going to walk the streets and experience buildings at ground level primarily.

When does digging begin

That's a great building, though I find the comparison to 1970s buildings and Brutalism to be not just in the shape of the podium, but to its potential massiveness. It could be wonderfully detailed but overpoweringly big. That kind of architecture that makes people feel small without actually being monumental generally isn't well received by the public. In the 1960s-1970s, I suppose that the attached monorail (skywalks or underground walkways in other cases) meant that it didn't matter how it felt to be walking past such buildings on the ground, but we ultimately realized that people are still going to walk the streets and experience buildings at ground level primarily.

Anybody have any idea when they will begin digging?

f7f82a274c18ab7da05e080b47b7.jpg

I hope the metal cladding right above the roof doesn't end up looking like cheap aluminum or something from trucker tanks like what happened to the George Brown waterfront campus.

Critique
I don't quite understand your comment. Is there metal above the roof? I don't think aluminum metal can be used as
a roofing material. But I am not an expert. I think Beyond the Sea has the same architects and builders as Eau du Soleil. If you look at Beyond the Sea, the building looks like it is built with quality. The Foyer looks impressive. I parked in the underground garage and it all looks well built and clean and brightly lit. The quality should be the same with this.

Critique
I don't quite understand your comment. Is there metal above the roof? I don't think aluminum metal can be used as
a roofing material. But I am not an expert. I think Beyond the Sea has the same architects and builders as Eau du Soleil. If you look at Beyond the Sea, the building looks like it is built with quality. The Foyer looks impressive. I parked in the underground garage and it all looks well built and clean and brightly lit. The quality should be the same with this.

In my opinion, Beyond Sea and Tower was definitely not built with quality material. The cap on the buildings is terrible, probably one of the worst finishes I've seen.

Critique

No, I mean I hope the building doesn't end up with the appeal of aluminum-like cladding (in other words cheapness). The wood-like ceiling is promising but the metal box the runs along the shape may ruin the effect without the use of proper materials.

I agree with you. Also that metal decoration strip that runs vertically had better be made with a good weather proof material that can last many years. Otherwise it will be an expensive eye sore. I hope the architects have experience with this. I don't want to be stuck with this repair years later.

Only in toronto are people complaining about architectural details because they are concerned about replacing them 30 years from now... No wonder the architecture in this city can be so banal.

This is one of the best projects in the works right now. Those renderings actually made me want to live there. Fingers crossed that the realization is as good as the anticipation.

Back