Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

The tower seems to have no relationship whatsoever with the base (there are no design elements to tie the two together).

Thank God we've moved on from those dumpy, mid-'90s "fear of heights" condos ... shown in ganja's last post.

Wakey-wakey! Rise and shine! Welcome to 21st century Toronto, boys and girls!

It's not a dumpy fear of heights condo. It's The Lenox, a new condo project in Harlem on the island of Manhattan. There certainly is no fear of heights in Manhattan but developers seem to appreciate context better than they do in Toronto where anything goes anywhere.

Total height aside, this sort of massing is better than towers on the podiums. Toronto's problem is its fear of shadows more than fear of heights. That's why the tower on the dinky podium design predominates. I'd rather have the shadows along with the better streetwall and the increased sense of density. It's even worse when the tower and the podium clash, like in this design.

I think the tower on the podium design, in general, is a mistake. They do not create pleasant streetscapes. They look anaemic. I don't dislike this proposal, it's not bad. But it could be a lot better.

Which development do you think would better provide that "dense urban" feel at the street level?

63805565.jpg
6406374.jpg

If 21st century Toronto is about dinky podiums, then no thanks.

^You hit the (shadow) on the head! Toronto--at least "public joe average politician"--is scared of shadows, not height!

Now today was a bloody hot day, and I tried my best to stay in shadows on my long walk along Bloor West today; very challenging and frustrating experience. Bring on the shadows and the strong streetwalls! Towers on podiums are so small town (like Vancouver.)

This Market Wharf proposal merely demonstrates that Toronto has simply replaced the "tower in the park" with the "tower in the podium;" they've raised the "park" off the ground. Get rid of the "park" all together and embrace real old fashioned streetwalls! Then concentrate on getting developers to pay for real parks, gorgeous little urban parkettes/squares to be built. Say, for example, for every twenty highrises built, one gorgeous urban square (the size of two or three building lots) gets built--I'm talking about previously uninhabited space here--think LV.

Thank God we've moved on from those dumpy, mid-'90s "fear of heights" condos ... shown in ganja's last post.

Wakey-wakey! Rise and shine! Welcome to 21st century Toronto, boys and girls!

You're slowly becoming Christopher Hume.

Yeah, Pug voters would definitely choose the former. Myself, I'm no hyper-advocate of the former (contextually "appropriate"; but, middlebrow snoozeola), but fundamentally either/or...

The former would actually work better as infill on Bloor or Danforth--though even its scale would get shadow-fearing NIMBYs up in arms.

Yes, the Pugs would surely reward that sort of thing. Let's not buy into the idea that to be world class we must ape everything New York does - after all the Lenox looks strangely like King George Square, a local, vaguely historicist, mid-'90s "fear of heights" cube.

There's no reason why a tower has to look like a podium - they're visually differentiated anyway, so run with it. Tall buildings are in context for big cities, yet the podium at Market Wharf clearly holds its own in terms of mass as it plays off of it. The tower is lighter and soars to match the height of other local towers, and the podium is solid and of red brick and matches the surrounding buildings.

Tower/podium is a more dynamic arrangement than dumpy little cubes and Toronto has moved on from the thinking of the June Rowlands/Mel Lastman era. Don't drag us back there, please!

Uh, I don't think ganja posted a New York condo because he thinks we should blindly emulate the Big Apple.

He could have posted a number of Toronto condos, such as those out in Freedville, or buildings like Ideal condos, Twenty Niagara, MoZo, etc. which were built to suit the context of their neighbourhood and were designed by...get this...Peter Clewes!

Yeah, but he mentioned New York. It doesn't matter how valid his example was, he still has to endure "stop comparing Toronto to New York" digressions. It's forum policy.

London on the Esplanade, the proposed L Tower and the building to the south of it, that condo at 25 The Esplanade, they're all nearbye this development; Freedville isn't.

Hipster Duck got the point. Replace the Lenox with Mozo... my point is still the same. The cube is better for urbanity than the point tower.

Which works better?

mozo.jpg

cityplace.jpg

Point towers inevitably fail to contribute to urban fabric. There is no such thing as a vibrant point tower neighbourhood.

Back