News   Apr 17, 2024
 789     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 314     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

"No less than 100,000" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement - the Sheppard line would have at least that if it went from Downsview to STC and it'd be only half the length of an Eglinton line.

True true. I think Eglinton is a very logical next addition to our subway grid but it is crazy to think that it would outpace BD.

As for the STR... I ride this sucker everyday. It is loud, shaky and usually very poorly insulated. It needs to be replaced. I endorse the expansion of BD line. Second option is a sophisicateed BRT line from Kennedy to Midland/Progress if and/only if it were to meet up with an extended Sheppard subway line to head to SCC.

And here-here, Sheppard to downview is also the next logical expansion to the subway grid (along with Sheppard to SCC).

Wow. That proves my point incredibly effectively. St. Clair is the model for Transit City. It takes 50 minutes to cover the 6.5 kilometres from St. Clair Station to Gunns Loop.

That. Is. Normal. Duration. Of. Time! How on earth do you expect a surface route to accomplish that length any faster in mixed traffic, without a private right-of-way, several stops without island bus stations, 10 stops to a concession, etc.? The forever loop at St Clair West Stn and the long layovers at Gunns Loop contribute to longer wait times as well. TC is not a reflection of the 512 because spacing will resemble subway spacing and alot of it be located in private rights-of-way inclusive of tunnels for Jane, Don Mills, Eglinton and Lakeshore West.

Don Mills is 17.6 km. At the same average speed as St. Clair, the model for these lines, covering that distance would take 135 minutes, or two and a quarter hours. Sheppard East from Don Mills to Morningside (13.6 km) would take 105 minutes. Even at a more reasonable figure of 30 minutes for the 512 St. Clair travel time, Don Mills would take 81 minutes, Sheppard East would be 63 minutes.

Unlike St Clair with storefronts immediately behind the sidewalks, both Sheppard and Don Mills for the most part have density affixed mainly to the major intersections only. Meaning this allows for more infrequent stops on a less density-concentrated roadway equaling faster travel.

What's your point? If you got rid of the Sheppard East and Morningside streetcars, you'd save more than a billion, too.

Of course if the subway were built instead there'd be no need for SE LRT.
Not everything about TC makes sense, the point is it makes sense for alot more commuters than only those who daily rely on the Sheppard Line.

What on earth are you talking about?

Condos, man, condos, pay attention! The points I bolded in the Star artricle explain the reality of what impact Sheppard's had on the lives of residents there. If you're still in denial that the cons far outweighed the pros what more can I say?

A line isn't really successful unless it's leaving people behind on the platform.
It will be called 'underperforming' until 2 or 3 trains routinely pass by before you can get on...partially because Sheppard-haters will persist for a long time and partially because of a preoccupation with 'efficiency.'

No, no, no. That's not the only criterion for underpreformance. Look at daily station usage. If a train arrives at a station and only 3 people are there to board it, something's drastically wrong with the planning of the route. You complain that I favor straight lines like Eglinton but fail to see the infinite wisdom in routing it. Eglinton though a straight line effectively bisects several major areas, bringing increased levels of service to where it's needed. Sheppard another straight line on the other hand is the proverbial white elephant, the entire line, with nothing but endless condos and two shopping malls, Fairview and Agincourt, to show for its entire length of service.

Eglinton is kind of a question mark...if they built it as a subway today, it could be well-used, but its riders can easily be cannabalized by other projects. The one sure thing is that going all the way across the city is totally irrelevant.

Ditto on Sheppard or a number of other TTC projects. Going all the way across is extremely relevant for too many reasons to count. The spacing would be nowhere as tedious as BD so in the end not much longer duration spent travelling while intercepting numerous important nodes and transfer points.

If the busy travel corridors happen to be straight, then straight subway lines make sense.

Except Eglinton IS one of the busiest local routes in the city with no less than 30 bus routes operating out of it's corridor stations. The airport and Don Mills hinge heavily on Eglinton. In fact no transit plan can truly exclude mass transit on Eglinton because of sheer length and accessibility.

There's no way an Eglinton line that's the same length as the B-D line would have the same ridership. The B-D line hits way more trip generators, including downtown, and goes through denser and more congested parts of the city. Exactly what a subway line should do.

BD is a fluke of its timing. Were the subway built sooner it would've gone along Queen Street. There is no major trip generator along Bloor except U of T and Yorkville. Just because it's close to downtown doesn't mean it is downtown. Ever attempted to get to Queen Street along one of the south routes? Time consuming isn't it? Eglinton from Kipling to Kennedy would have between 100,000-250,000 easy, I did the calculations. However remember BD curves up east of Main St. Hammer that out and you've got length to Bellamy/Eglinton GO. If extended to Pearson and UTSC Eglinton would indeed outpreform BD leaps and bounds by the extraction of passengers formerly bound for BD and covering twice the network area.

That. Is. Normal. Duration. Of. Time! How on earth do you expect a surface route to accomplish that length any faster in mixed traffic, without a private right-of-way, several stops without island bus stations, 10 stops to a concession, etc.? The forever loop at St Clair West Stn and the long layovers at Gunns Loop contribute to longer wait times as well. TC is not a reflection of the 512 because spacing will resemble subway spacing and alot of it be located in private rights-of-way inclusive of tunnels for Jane, Don Mills, Eglinton and Lakeshore West.

Anyway, the scheduled time is not 50 minutes. It's just over 30 minutes. There is pretty much no scheduled improvement with the new right of way. That's why I did those calculations based on a 30 minute travel time. Transit City will not have subway station spacing, and I don't know where you got that idea. The whole point is that travel times like that are not rapid transit and is not comparable in any way to the kind of service offered by a subway.

Unlike St Clair with storefronts immediately behind the sidewalks, both Sheppard and Don Mills for the most part have density affixed mainly to the major intersections only. Meaning this allows for more infrequent stops on a less density-concentrated roadway equaling faster travel.

Stops are not going to be eliminated; the St. Clair model is being followed. As Steve Munro and others have said, the purpose of these rights of way is to improve "reliability" and not travel time. Many suburban bus routes are already relatively reliable, certainly much moreso than, say, Spadina. Think about it. We're spending $9 billion to make some suburban bus routes supposedly more reliable for a few hours a day when there's traffic.

Condos, man, condos, pay attention! The points I bolded in the Star artricle explain the reality of what impact Sheppard's had on the lives of residents there. If you're still in denial that the cons far outweighed the pros what more can I say?

Umm, the points you bolded were taken wildly out of context, as others have pointed out. The Sheppard subway has stimulated some of the most intensive redevelopment in the whole city. Are you trying to say that people aren't buying those condos? If people don't buy them, they wouldn't be getting built. I think you're the one who's a bit in denial here.

Sheppard another straight line on the other hand is the proverbial white elephant, the entire line, with nothing but endless condos and two shopping malls, Fairview and Agincourt, to show for its entire length of service.

Umm, people live in condos and go to malls. That sounds exactly like the kind of place to put a subway. Where should one go? Through empty fields?

This is socialwoe, isn't it? He's starting to write the exact same way.

BD is a fluke of its timing. Were the subway built sooner it would've gone along Queen Street. There is no major trip generator along Bloor except U of T and Yorkville. Just because it's close to downtown doesn't mean it is downtown. Ever attempted to get to Queen Street along one of the south routes? Time consuming isn't it? Eglinton from Kipling to Kennedy would have between 100,000-250,000 easy, I did the calculations. However remember BD curves up east of Main St. Hammer that out and you've got length to Bellamy/Eglinton GO. If extended to Pearson and UTSC Eglinton would indeed outpreform BD leaps and bounds by the extraction of passengers formerly bound for BD and covering twice the network area.
The Bloor Danforth line has lots of trip generators. A trip generator doesn't have to be a big institution or shopping centre, it can be nothing more than a dense transit friendly neighbourhood with feeder bus routes. You know, like almost every neighbourhood the B-D line goes through. As for not going downtown, the Bloor St midtown area is basically an extension of downtown. It's a lot more central than Yonge & Eglinton, and it's a far bigger destination in and of itself. That's why it attracts so many riders.

"If extended to Pearson and UTSC"? That's a huge distance, way longer than the B-D line! And even if your "calculations" are correct, it would get only 100,000-250,000 riders....less than HALF what the B-D line has over a shorter distance. How exactly is that outperforming the B-D line by leaps and bounds? Look at the ridership patterns of Bloor line riders - most of them aren't going north at St. George and Bloor-Yonge, they're going south to go downtown. An Eglinton line wouldn't take a lot of passengers from the B-D line. A downtown relief line, OTOH, would.

Where did this idea come that Transit City would have subway-like distances between stops? From everything that has been said about Transit City it is clear that this is far, far from the truth.

Transit city does a good job of connecting every ward to a rail network. It does, not however, do an adequate job of building transit neighbourhoods or trip-generators. A transit system of this magnitude should work with the development/planning agenda of the city hand-in-hand with the transit efficency goals of the transit operator. Transit City doesn't do this.

Fully developing Sheppard will assist this goal. Building an Eglinton-cross town from the airport to the Science Centre (and eventually to Kennedy) also works to accomplish this. Building a downtown relief line or a Queen line from the Beaches to Palace Pier will also work to accomplish this.

This is socialwoe, isn't it? He's starting to write the exact same way.

Who?

Where should one go? Through empty fields?

That's funny I thought the path of the VCC extension was largely open fields? I am actually looking forward to the piecemeal extension if for no other reason to test its viability.

the points you bolded were taken wildly out of context

"There's absolutely nothing along Sheppard that's worth going to, except for IKEA, if you're an IKEA person, and I'm really not," he says. "Other than that, there's about 25 blocks between anything of note."

"A few highrise towers on the skyline does not indicate subway-type density," he says.

Sheppard is "relying on bus feeder lines, as opposed to a large walking population around it."

Seriously? Don't tell me only a handful of Torontonians continue to view Sheppard as a mistake subway line? I'm in favor of Sheppard too but I'd like to see projects city-wide as well. The TTC already cancelled subways for Queen, Eglinton and Mississauga (BD extension), what's to stop them from cancelling other promises after prioritizing one very expensive project?

Transit City will not have subway station spacing, and I don't know where you got that idea. The whole point is that travel times like that are not rapid transit and is not comparable in any way to the kind of service offered by a subway.

I didn't know that. I was under the impression it'd be 8 stops to a concession i.e. major-minor stoppage every 300-400m (Birchmount-Allenford-Kennedy).

Think about it. We're spending $9 billion to make some suburban bus routes supposedly more reliable for a few hours a day when there's traffic.

So you think it is better to invest the majority of funds into minimalist extensions like Sheppard and BD to STC over a city-wide networks of LRTs (BTW you keep hinting LRTs will be more streetcar than ICTS style, which is it?)?

How exactly is that outperforming the B-D line by leaps and bounds?

Those were initial operation figures. It's suburbanites heading towards Bloor that'd use Eglinton, those already in Eglinton's catchment, airport users, MT riders, possibly some Durham travellers, etc. A modest subway from Keele to Laird would outdo Sheppard easily even after its extended to STC and subtract from BD's current passenger volumes. I got my data from

http://www.geog.utoronto.ca/info/facweb/Harvey/Harvey/reports/Eglinton%20Report(8May2003,%20no%20photos).doc

Yeah, right.

That's funny I thought the path of the VCC extension was largely open fields? I am actually looking forward to the piecemeal extension if for no other reason to test its viability.

Yeah, but those empty fields happen to be a major development site. If they were still building Palmerston Place, I wouldn't think the RT extension was so completely insane.
"There's absolutely nothing along Sheppard that's worth going to, except for IKEA, if you're an IKEA person, and I'm really not," he says. "Other than that, there's about 25 blocks between anything of note."

"A few highrise towers on the skyline does not indicate subway-type density," he says.

Sheppard is "relying on bus feeder lines, as opposed to a large walking population around it."

Seriously? Don't tell me only a handful of Torontonians continue to view Sheppard as a mistake subway line? I'm in favor of Sheppard too but I'd like to see projects city-wide as well. The TTC already cancelled subways for Queen, Eglinton and Mississauga (BD extension), what's to stop them from cancelling other promises after prioritizing one very expensive project?

Socialwoe, yes I know those are the out-of-context quotations you took. That doesn't make them accurate or sensible. I'm sure you can find a lot of people to make incorrect observations about just about anything. The TTC didn't cancel projects on Queen, Eglinton, and Bloor for Sheppard. The Queen subway was cancelled years ago because it was deemed unnecessary (and would have resulted in the abandonment of many streetcar routes), Eglinton West and Sheppard were cancelled simultaneously and Sheppard rescued by Mel Lastman's heroic intervention, and Bloor was never going to Mississauga. Just Sherway.

I didn't know that. I was under the impression it'd be 8 stops to a concession i.e. major-minor stoppage every 300-400m (Birchmount-Allenford-Kennedy).

Where did you get that impression?

So you think it is better to invest the majority of funds into minimalist extensions like Sheppard and BD to STC over a city-wide networks of LRTs (BTW you keep hinting LRTs will be more streetcar than ICTS style, which is it?)?

Wait a minute...you think Transit City is ICTS?! Okay, they're streetcars. To quote Adam Giambrone: "They're streetcars." Anyway, that's not a logical comparison. BD to STC is $1.22 billion. Completing Sheppard is at most $2 billion, again by the TTC's wildly inflated subway construction figures. Transit City is $9 billion and climbing. You understand that's more than twice as much money.

Yeah, right.

So because I have similar viewpoints I'm Socialwoe now? Way to discredit my point-of-view.

Where did you get that impression?

I heard it somewhere. Besides Spadina follows the same major/minor pattern...

Bloor/Sussex/Harbord/Willcocks/College/Nassau/Dundas/Sullivan/Queen/Richmond/King.

Transit City is $9 billion and climbing. You understand that's more than twice as much money.

You understand some LRT routes could someday be converted to subways? My rationale is if a route isn't good enough for streetcars now, how will it be convincing enough for future subways? The TTC often inflates costs to discourage the public from favoring certain projects. The same way people cannot equate a Sheppard East LRT to completing the subway, it's the same way residents will object to BRT over LRT. So since this is getting me nowhere, build Sheppard, but don't be too surprised if some or all of TC is scrapped.

You understand some LRT routes could someday be converted to subways? My rationale is if a route isn't good enough for streetcars now, how will it be convincing enough for future subways? The TTC often inflates costs to discourage the public from favoring certain projects. The same way people cannot equate a Sheppard East LRT to completing the subway, it's the same way residents will object to BRT over LRT. So since this is getting me nowhere, build Sheppard, but don't be too surprised if some or all of TC is scrapped.

Converting LRT to subway is a huge hassle. So you're saying lets basically disrupt traffic flow for a few months. Oops, we should've built a subway here instead. More disruptions and money lost.

Really, at this time the major costs are not associated with materials, they are associated with time from manpower. If anything the inflated costs are almost always about manpower and not actual materials or vehicles.

&

&

Those were initial operation figures. It's suburbanites heading towards Bloor that'd use Eglinton, those already in Eglinton's catchment, airport users, MT riders, possibly some Durham travellers, etc. A modest subway from Keele to Laird would outdo Sheppard easily even after its extended to STC and subtract from BD's current passenger volumes. I got my data from

http://www.geog.utoronto.ca/info/facweb/Harvey/Harvey/reports/Eglinton%20Report(8May2003,%20no%20photos).doc

Those three quotes are just random opinions and do not in any way reflect the viability of the Sheppard line or its extension. Yeah, so maybe no one "goes to" the Don Mills/Agincourt area, but lots of riders come from there...that's the only thing that matters. A few condos between Yonge and Don Mills do not merit a subway, no, but the purpose of the Sheppard line was always to run east of Don Mills, where density higher than much of the existing subway network already exists but is not being served. And, yes, Sheppard relies on feeder buses...so does every other subway line in this city. The only stops outside of downtown that do not rely on buses are North York Centre and Yorkdale (edit: Davisville might be #3 - it's probably a majority walk-in).

Sheppard and Danforth to STC will cost $3 billion, while TransitCity will cost about triple that...it's better to spend money where it's needed, not to overspend in the wrong places just to get more wonderful streetcars and add world class colourful lines to our transit maps.

The ridership estimates in that paper (which is no more official than any plans written up on this forum) presumes billions of dollars in redevelopment, hundreds of thousands of new residents and jobs right on Eglinton (complete Avenue-ization), includes the entire ridership of routes like Lawrence East, adds in connections from GO trains, etc., etc. In other words, it's a *tad* optimistic.

Bloor/Sussex/Harbord/Willcocks/College/Nassau/Dundas/Sullivan/Queen/Richmond/King.

If you think Spadina stop spacing is anything remotely subway-like, you've clearly never ridden it. Spadina could benefit from losing a number of stops.

So because I have similar viewpoints I'm Socialwoe now? Way to discredit my point-of-view.

So you do know who socialwoe is? I'm not trying to discredit your point of view, just pointing out a similarity.

First of all, Spadina stops at virtually every block. Compare it to the already-frequent stops on the University line. If a streetcar stopped as frequently as Spadina in the suburbs, it would take hours to get anywhere, and it would likely be slower than the bus.

Yes, but why on earth should we spend hundreds of millions to build LRT, only to rip it out again a few years later? That money would be completely thrown out the window. As we all know, once "higher order" transit gets built on a route, like the Scarborough RT, it'll never be replaced.

Some routes aren't "good enough" for streetcars now, but the problem here are routes that are too good. Sheppard East should be a subway right away, not in 40 years. Morningside is pretty dubious for a streetcar, and should never be a subway.

Subways are built nowadays with very large distances between them. 300-400m is not subway stop-spacing.

LRT makes sense in some areas of the city and a subway makes sense in others. Given our transit grid and development patterns, it is very difficult to defend transit-city to incremental subway improvements. The first step needs to be the conclusion of Sheppard from Downsview (or York University) to SCC. That will do a lot to complete the subway lines that exist currently and then work to developing supporting or additional higher order transit lines throughout the city. What needs to be avoided is a mixed-line where people get off at Don Mills and take a street car to SCC. That is a half measure and a bad idea. It will not generate the type of development and intensification along Sheppard E that the has been seen along the existing stretch. Finish what you've started and do it right. I still don't understand why it costs Toronto so much to build a subway when other cities worldwide do it for a fraction of Toronto's cost. Fire who ever is responsible for subway construction in this city and hire they firm who oversees Madrid.

And from a big picture point-of-view, why does it have to be zero sum: LRT or Subways only? Subways should be built were it it reasonable or where they have been started. LRT should be built where it is reasonable. A mix of options is not a bad third choice IF it is done correctly, raitonally, logically and most importantly, tied to development to enhance the existing and expected neighourhood.

And why up-covert from LRT to subway and double or triple the cost of the project? That makes no sense. None. It only upsets transit users, residents and taxpayers.

I think we're all far too sensible. Using a subway where it makes sense and LRT where it makes sense just makes TOO MUCH sense. It must scare the TTC to think that way.

Back