20     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 203     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Most Dangerous Neighbourhood(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Towered; " do not go out of my way to avoid eye contact because it looks weak if you do."[/QUOTE said:
I would think the exact opposite to be true. To make eye contact with someone is a signal that one is challenging them . I would think it best to avoid eye contact. When a dog makes eye contact with another dog that means that it is challenging the other dog to a fight .

There are a lot of posts in this thread saying stuff like "no neighbourhood in Toronto is as dangerous as xyz in the US".

Maybe, but as far as I'm concerned, that's missing the point. I live in Toronto, and I want to know what areas are more dangerous than others in Toronto. Just because a say "moderately dangerous" area in Toronto isn't anywhere near as bad as a "very dangerous" area in West Philadelphia doesn't all of a sudden make me want to walk there alone at night.

This weekend:

Violent sexual assault at Bayview and Sheppard

Police are searching for five men after a 17-year-old girl was sexually assaulted and robbed early Sunday morning.

The teenager was walking in the Bayview Ave. and Sheppard Ave. E. area around 2 a.m. when five men approached her. One man threatened her with a knife before the group grabbed her and pulled her into an alleyway, according to Det. Const. Dave Windsor.

The group then sexually assaulted the teen and robbed her before taking off on foot, police said.

Man gunned down inside Scarborough sports bar

Toronto police are on the scene of a murder investigation at a Sports Bar on Eglinton Avenue and Midland Avenue.

680News was told that a man in his late 30's was shot multiple times, including once in the head.

The man was gunned down around 2:30 a.m. Monday, inside the Chill and Grill Sports Bar.

Friends of the victim told 680News that he was not a regular customer at the bar, and that he did not go to the bar looking for any confrontation.

This weekend:

Violent sexual assault at Bayview and Sheppard

Police are searching for five men after a 17-year-old girl was sexually assaulted and robbed early Sunday morning.

The teenager was walking in the Bayview Ave. and Sheppard Ave. E. area around 2 a.m. when five men approached her. One man threatened her with a knife before the group grabbed her and pulled her into an alleyway, according to Det. Const. Dave Windsor.

The group then sexually assaulted the teen and robbed her before taking off on foot, police said.

What is a 17 year old girl doing at 2:00 o'clock in the morning outside on the street ? Not safe for anyone to be outside at that hour let alone a 17 year old girl . It shouldn't be this way but it is and people should be more careful, especially females.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a big list. Keep in mind that there area good/bad pockets virtually everywhere in Toronto, and within a few blocks of a lot of so called "ghetto's" and lower income area's, you can almost always find big, expensive houses, or quiet suburban streets at the least.

- Rexdale and North York/West side of the city: Finch and Albion, Bergamot, Jamestown, Stovetop, Mount Olive, Orpington, Tandridge, John Garland and Martingrove, Finch and Weston, Lawrence and Weston, Islington and Weston, Eglinton and Weston, Scarlett and Lawrence, Scarlett and Eglinton, Scarlett and Thretheway, Kipling and Steeles, Martin Grove and Eglinton, Willowridge, Martingrove and Rathburn, Rathburn and The East mall, Burnhamthorpe and The West Mall. (I've been robbed at gunpoint at Capri Rd and The East Mall at night, in front of some public housing highrises) Golfdown Drive/Armel Court / Thistletown. Places near The Westway area just south of Rexdale.

- Pretty much the whole Jane strip from Bloor north to Steeles, and many offshooting side streets. Also, a lot of side streets along Weston Road and Sheppard Ave West.

- Scarborough: Chester Le, Cataraqui, Galloway, Cougar Ct., Danzig aka D-Block, Dean Park, Dolly Varden, Galloway, Gilder, Glamorgan, Glendower, Gordonridge, Greenbrae Ct., Malvern, Markham and Eglinton, Markham and Lawrence, Mornelle Court, Orton Park, The Pentagon, Silver Springs, Teesdale, Tuxedo Court, White Blocks, Bay Mills, Areas around Don Mills and Finch, Finch and Victoria Park, Midland and Mcnicholl, Midland and Finch, and many more. Again, there are a lot of bad hoods in Scarborough, and a lot of nice ones too.

-Don Mills and Eglinton (Flemingdon Park aka Flemo) and some surrounding areas, Mt Dennis and Don Mills, Overlea.

- Areas along Keele street can get a bit scuzzy, although nothing really bad until you get to Sheppard and further North.

- Lawrence Heights aka Jungle and Neptune (Near Lawrence and Bathurst/ Allen Road) and a few streets Near Ranee Ave.

- Pellam Park (St Clair West and Weston Road)

- Vaughan Rd and Oakwood Ave to Eglinton West and Dufferin.

And then of course there are the downtown hoods.

St Jamestown, Regent Park, Moss Park, certain spots of Cabbagetown/Parkdale (esp. King and Dufferin). Rivertowne/Don Mount Court used to be pretty ghetto/isolated, in between Regent and the Don River, but I believe most of it was demolished and left as empty land.

Edit:Forgot to mention Lansdowne from Bloor to Queen. Lots of crack and prostitution around there, though it used to be worse in the late 80's/early to mid 90's

In my experiences, I see more junkies, bums and crazies downtown (higher density) but usually feel safer there for that exact same reason, even at night... There are many areas in Toronto that are completely isolated/abandoned after dark that are known for high crime and drug/gang/prostitution activity. The last area like that I was near was Weston Road and Lawrence West.

Last edited:
^^ Rivertown/Don Mount Court has not been left as empty land. The TCHC units were rebuilt as townhomes and mixed with condominiums. It looks a lot better than it used to and feels safer too. Mixed income neighbourhoods seem to work much better than all rent geared to income projects.

Here's a big list. Keep in mind that there area good/bad pockets virtually everywhere in Toronto, and within a few blocks of a lot of so called "ghetto's" and lower income area's, you can almost always find big, expensive houses, or quiet suburban streets at the least.

- Rexdale and North York/West side of the city: Finch and Albion, Bergamot, Jamestown, Stovetop, Mount Olive, Orpington, Tandridge, John Garland and Martingrove, Finch and Weston, Lawrence and Weston, Islington and Weston, Eglinton and Weston, Scarlett and Lawrence, Scarlett and Eglinton, Scarlett and Thretheway, Kipling and Steeles, Martin Grove and Eglinton, Willowridge, Martingrove and Rathburn, Rathburn and The East mall, Burnhamthorpe and The West Mall. (I've been robbed at gunpoint at Capri Rd and The East Mall at night, in front of some public housing highrises) Golfdown Drive/Armel Court / Thistletown. Places near The Westway area just south of Rexdale.

- Pretty much the whole Jane strip from Bloor north to Steeles, and many offshooting side streets. Also, a lot of side streets along Weston Road and Sheppard Ave West.

- Scarborough: Chester Le, Cataraqui, Galloway, Cougar Ct., Danzig aka D-Block, Dean Park, Dolly Varden, Galloway, Gilder, Glamorgan, Glendower, Gordonridge, Greenbrae Ct., Malvern, Markham and Eglinton, Markham and Lawrence, Mornelle Court, Orton Park, The Pentagon, Silver Springs, Teesdale, Tuxedo Court, White Blocks, Bay Mills, Areas around Don Mills and Finch, Finch and Victoria Park, Midland and Mcnicholl, Midland and Finch, and many more. Again, there are a lot of bad hoods in Scarborough, and a lot of nice ones too.

-Don Mills and Eglinton (Flemingdon Park aka Flemo) and some surrounding areas, Mt Dennis and Don Mills, Overlea.

- Areas along Keele street can get a bit scuzzy, although nothing really bad until you get to Sheppard and further North.

- Lawrence Heights aka Jungle and Neptune (Near Lawrence and Bathurst/ Allen Road) and a few streets Near Ranee Ave.

- Pellam Park (St Clair West and Weston Road)

- Vaughan Rd and Oakwood Ave to Eglinton West and Dufferin.

And then of course there are the downtown hoods.

St Jamestown, Regent Park, Moss Park, certain spots of Cabbagetown/Parkdale (esp. King and Dufferin). Rivertowne/Don Mount Court used to be pretty ghetto/isolated, in between Regent and the Don River, but I believe most of it was demolished and left as empty land.

Edit:Forgot to mention Lansdowne from Bloor to Queen. Lots of crack and prostitution around there, though it used to be worse in the late 80's/early to mid 90's

In my experiences, I see more junkies, bums and crazies downtown (higher density) but usually feel safer there for that exact same reason, even at night... There are many areas in Toronto that are completely isolated/abandoned after dark that are known for high crime and drug/gang/prostitution activity. The last area like that I was near was Weston Road and Lawrence West.

This is a very good list and very comprehensive. Most of the bad areas of Toronto are actually very small (a few blocks) focused around low-income public housing where it is not too uncommon to see gangs and drug deals.
http://www.torontohousing.ca/webfm_send/5164
TCHC is actually quite extensive with a large number of highrise projects, TCHC is actually considered second in North America only to New York City public housing.

Even in these areas it is still highly unlikely you will be a victim of crime. Outside of these small, isolated areas Toronto is an extremely safe city for its size.

Being from Etobicoke some areas that can be rough include Dixon and Islington, there are definitely some blood and crip activity among the Somalian youth in the projects in the area.

Mabelle place in Etobicoke city centre (Six Points, Islington/Bloor/Dundas) has a few Toronto Community Housing highrises, it's not particularly dangerous in my opinion, I've only experienced one mugging here personally over the past 5 years or so and only know of one gunshot murder on the block. Usually the most that happens is a few thug types at night smoking some bud around the block. I know drug deals and gang activity happens (some local Somalian and Carribean crip gangs) but it is pretty low key and they tend to keep to themselves and try to avoid trouble compared to other projects such as those in Rexdale.

Last edited:
There are a lot of posts in this thread saying stuff like "no neighbourhood in Toronto is as dangerous as xyz in the US".

I notice too that Canadians tend to do that a lot. When people ask about safety, they inevitably (and casually) mention it is no where near what many dangerous US cities are like, when the inquirer never mentioned the US, or maybe has never been to the US. When Americans talk about urban safety, they probably would never say something like "That area is safe, almost as safe as Toronto". The constant need to compare with the US is interesting.

Scarborough - Any plaza with furniture shops, convenience stores on both sides of the street.

I find certain parts of Scarborough where there are plazas on both sides of the street and where drivers who are exiting trying to turn into left and right lanes don't pay as much attention to other cars doing the same from across the other plaza and many times people come close to getting into accidents. The logistics of the streets and turning could have been better designed to minimize this hazard.

I could mention in general but certain areas like Kennedy and Lawrence (furniture stores with high volume of cars at times) and along Sheppard and Brimley areas. People have to pay extra attention when turning and driving.

not so much for Canada. No Canadian banks have asked for bailout in fact.

Doesn't mean they're not stealing money. How much tax do you think banks pay, and in what country are most Canadian banks legally domiciled?

In dollar terms, you will see more fraud committed in one night at the ACC (Leaf tickets, booze, food and hookers written off as "business expenses") than in all of the bad hoods in the City of Toronto in a whole year.

Doesn't mean they're not stealing money. How much tax do you think banks pay, and in what country are most Canadian banks legally domiciled?

In dollar terms, you will see more fraud committed in one night at the ACC (Leaf tickets, booze, food and hookers written off as "business expenses") than in all of the bad hoods in the City of Toronto in a whole year.

What you said definitely is true, however, it is really not bank-specific. Big corporations are not that different.
By the way, all those entertainment costs, they seem to come from banks' bottom line, instead of tax, right? I don't understand how that constitutes stealing. Maybe stealing its investor's money.

If comparing Toronto's crime rates to the US bothers some, how about comparing to other Canadian cities? Last time I checked Toronto had a lower crime rate than most Canadian cities.

Boy, you've got a hate on for capitalism (and reality in general)... Ironically enough, you're posting on a board that is sustained and funded by pricey condo ads, bought up by rich capitalists...

Let's look at facts. One of those banks contribute more to the tax system, and quite frankly employment, then all the occupiers across Canada. So why the hate on again?

But back to 'unsafe' neighbourhoods, I compare sometimes because I feel this thread is somewhat unwarranted. I would argue that there really aren't any 'dangerous' neighbourhoods in Toronto. Hence the US comparison I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back