Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

A country/city with people that think two long established businesses (which incidentally; produce many jobs, bring in a lot of tax revenue for the city, and either make or distribute food products!) are nothing more than an eyesore and should go, are becoming very spoiled indeed. A new age in NIMBYism dawns..

I'm with DSD on this one.

I seem to recall reading about Hamilton making a push for the food terminal to be moved there. I'm no food distribution expert, but my impression is that having the food terminal so close to the city is a boon to both our restaurants and green grocers (not so much chain stores), not to mention providing jobs. It is in a location where it is only seen if you're driving on the Gardiner or Queensway, there's very little reason to ever walk in the area. Assuming I'm right about its contribution to our restaurants and green grocers I would be sad to see it go.

As for Mr. Christie's, the surrounding grounds are maintained quite well and I would not call it an eyesore. Now Nautilus, there's an eyesore. I think a better solution for Mr. Christie's would be to sever the Lakeshore frontage and have something built along there. Now, eventually it probably won't make economic sense for Mr. Christie's to keep a plant in a location with such high land value but I don't see any reason to try to rush it out of the area.

I think a better solution for Mr. Christie's would be to sever the Lakeshore frontage and have something built along there. Now, eventually it probably won't make economic sense for Mr. Christie's to keep a plant in a location with such high land value but I don't see any reason to try to rush it out of the area.

Since these two properties are back to back with the Gardiner Expy. and Rail Corridor in between.......My vision for Mr. Christies/Food Terminal lands, would be to build a bunch of 40s-50s mixed use towers with lots of retail fronting Lakeshore, Same goes for the Queensway but with shorter structures, say (15s-20s).

In between and over the tracks and highway, build a state of the art 80.000 seat stadium, with a grand entrance and entertainment/retail-hotel centre fronting Parklawn...bury the highway throughout and have a transportation hub (TTC/Go station) in the complex.

The model is up in the (temporary) sales centre at Beyond the Sea.

I have never seen a larger model. It has to be seen in person to truly understand the size.. It must be about 9-10 ft tall.

photo-1.jpg

Pardon the quality, but there are no lights in there and it was 10pm.

This is a very interesting project. Unfortunately the area doesn't seem to have much hope as long as the Gardiner is there.

The ugliness seems to come from all the steps, swooshes and curves making the building look like it wants to be a more interesting structure than it actually is. It's like an architectural version of The Uncanny Valley effect.

Back