News   Apr 19, 2024
 305     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 617     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

http://urbanationinc.blogspot.com/2012/03/why-rent-to-resale-calculations-are.html?spref=tw

Why Rent-to-Resale Calculations are Bunk

We read a great blog post recently by John Pasalis of Realosophy: click here
John touched on 'rent multiples' and that several reports on the Canadian housing market have used this measure to determine that Canada and several areas within it are "overvalued". The hypothesis is that the gap between the average rent and the average resale price has been expanding and that the average rent is a baseline for affordability, and that an area is valued ‘correctly’ or the area is balanced if the average rent and average price move in parallel. John puts it in slightly different terms:

The theory is that house prices should be appreciating at a similar rate to rents. If house prices start to appreciate at a much faster rate than rents it suggests that house prices are overvalued... ...Eventually, more people start renting until rents rise and/or house prices fall to a level where there is no material financial benefit to renting over buying.

Many of the charts for major Canadian centres shows that the gap between the average resale price and average rent has widened and the conclusion naturally is that housing in overvalued. Not sure why this doesn't suggest that rents are undervalued, and a major upward correction in rents is imminent?

Regardless, this methodology is fatally flawed for several reasons: it does not factor in the age, size and exact location of the units in question. Secondly, the source of the rental information has been called into question, especially with the major expansion of the private rental market, the inclusion/exclusion of heat, hydro, water, cable etc. A third major factor is the existence of rent controls in certain areas. A fourth factor is the existence of a low interest rate environment that allows the average home owner to purchase a larger, more expensive home (or simply get in the market) with a lower monthly payment.

The key point to take out of the above is the first one. We are a firm that looks at averages frequently, but they can often mask or misrepresent data due to outliers and other factors. And consequentially, WHEN DRAWING CONCLUSIONS BASED ON THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TWO VARIABLES, ONE MUST CONSIDER A THIRD (or fourth, fifth, sixth, etc) VARIABLE THAT COULD BE INFLUENCING THE RELATIONSHIP.

We'll provide a simple example using sports. Let's say I took three NBA teams (Spurs, Lakers, Magic) and looked at their average rebounds per game in a year and their winning percentage in those years. Wow, the relationship shows that a major improvement in rebounds per game in 97-98 led to much higher wins for the Spurs that year. We also saw rebounds and wins jump for the Lakers and 96-97, but both dropped in 04-05. There was a major improvement in 04-05 in rebounds and wins for the Magic.

Therefore we draw the conclusion that the more rebounds you get, the more wins your team will get. The Raptors see this data and go out and sign 5 guys that are 7'3" tall. The next year the Raps dominate the league in rebounding but win only 5 games, what! They should have seen an increase in wins right? Wrong, the five players can't cover anyone on the outside, can't play defence, but because they are tall they get lots of rebounds. They can't shoot, so they keep grabbing their own offensive rebounds and missing again!
So what went wrong in our analysis above? There was a third factor that contributed both to the increase and decrease in rebounds and wins in the above example, the Spurs added Tim Duncan in 04-05, Shaq came to the Lakers from 1996 to 2004 and the Orlando Magic added Dwight Howard in 2004 and all added new dynamics to their teams including shot blocking, scoring, passing, and confidence, in addition to their rebounding skills.

This is a typical example given in any economist's first year Econometrics class. The economists making these 'overvalued' statements should pull that textbook back off the shelf and take a look at it again. In economics you must 'control' outside variables, keep them as constant as possible so you can really determine the relationship between the two variables you are looking at.

In terms of rent multiples, you could potentially have a beach city building tons of 2,000 sf rentals overlooking the ocean and small 1,000 sf bungalows on outskirts of town and you compare that to a town building a bunch of 3,000 sf McMansions on estate lots and then small rentals on the outskirts near an industrial park, the rental multiples will be very different for those to areas, which one is really overvalued?

Although our data (from our UrbanRental report) is limited, having only begun collecting data for our reports over the past two years, we looked at the relationship between index rents and index prices in the Toronto CMA condominium apartment market. To avoid having the data skewed by location or age of product, we looked at ‘matching pairs’ of data only, dividing the average price psf by the average rent psf at a specific building. We looked at the weighted average (by total resale and rental transactions) of our rental multiple for some of the top municipalities and the Toronto CMA overall by looking at data points for the same buildings in Q4-2010 and Q4-2011. Using the index price and index rent, further controls for the size of the suites. In this example we were able to control for the location, age and size of the units. However, there are a few measures we couldn't control for: the floor that the unit is on (condo rentals tend to be on lower floors), parking (more units are rented without parking than resale units), renovations (resale units tend to be renovated more often than rental suites), terraces (units with large terraces or balconies tend to be owner occupied), etc, etc. See the table below.

If the hypothesis of a ‘balanced’ market held true, the rent multiples would remain the same year-over-year, however all the major municipalities increased with the exception of Richmond Hill. Therefore all markets are, in effect, less affordable than last year if one believes that rental rates are the baseline for affordability. The Toronto CMA is 3.1% less affordable (or overvalued) in comparison to last year.

Scarborough’s rent multiple increased by 10% in Q4-2011 over Q4-2010, the largest increase among the municipalities above, followed by Vaughan at 7.4% and Mississauga at 6.6%. The former City of Toronto increased by just 1.4%.

Urbanation would find it hard to believe that Scarborough condominium apartment units became much more overvalued than the former City of Toronto in 2011 and that Richmond Hill units became more affordable. According to John Pasalis, even Windsor is currently overvalued based on the metrics discussed earlier.

At Urbanation we do not believe that pricing will go up forever, or that Toronto's condominium market is not showing potential signs of future weakness, however is not because of an "out of whack" rent multiple. Look to Urbanation for reasoned, unbiased data on Toronto's condominium market from the firm that has tracked it longer than any other firm.

Wow. What an absurd analysis and bizarre collection of inappropriate analogies. Basketball rebounds to wins as an analogy to real estates rents to prices? Really??

Surely UrbanNation doesn't actually believe this giberish?

Let's cut to the chase.

The author's central argument is that the average rent statistics are not properly aligned with average price statistics. But a cursory review of various properties listed for both rent or sale on MLS shows specific figures with consistently the same relationship as noted by the average rent/price statistic.

Rents and prices are what they are. One might contend future increases or decrease, but lets not be silly and deny the current status of rents and prices.

One might just as well contend that average prices stats are 50% higher that reality. Again, just gibberish.

I know the address and reviewed the listing and comps but RECO's and TREB's rules don't allow me to publish it especially since it wasn't released in media print.

is the MLS # still active ... u can give us that since it's public.

No CDR it's not since sold amounts are subject to protection under privacy laws and doesn't fall under public real until it is tranferred by land registry listings are removed from realtor.ca once the sale price is noted. I'm sure someone will put it out there soon enough.
is the MLS # still active ... u can give us that since it's public.

The house is at 300 Dudley Ave.
It seems the prices really range in that general area. Under $900000 for minimally updated bungalows (as described in that article), to well over a million for bungalows that have undergone a complete renovation.

So yeah, $1.18 million is stupid high.

EDIT:

That seems to jive with what ISYM said of the area:

From my analysis of the sales within 3-5 square blocks the house did go for more than it appeared to have been worth at least $100k more which is without a doubt a lot. Had I listed that property I would not in a million years have suggested the seller list at $141k less than the lowest effective comparables of $900k, or 85% of lowest market value.

So, like I said before, even if the property were worth $1 million, which it probably isn't, $1.18 million is an absurd price to pay for it. $1.18 million is 18% higher than $1 million, and 31% higher than $0.9 million.

Last edited:
Given that you can't say the address or the comps, can you at least tell us if you believe personally was this fair market value or overpay based on your your review. In other words, would your own personal opinion get you into trouble if you expressed it.
?

sorry, I see some of this has been addressed already.

Last edited:
Given that you can't say the address or the comps, can you at least tell us if you believe personally was this fair market value or overpay based on your your review. In other words, would your own personal opinion get you into trouble if you expressed it.
?
The address has already been listed. It's 300 Dudley Avenue. ISYM says the lowest comps in the area are about $900000.

In the article they state that similar bungalows in the area went for under $900000, so that sounds about right, given that the article states the house has been minimally updated. The one thing that drives up the price somewhat is the 60 foot frontage (at the expense of depth), which is why I suggested $1 million as a possibility, but either way we've got a sale that's way over fair value.

Last edited:
The address has already been listed. It's 300 Dudley Avenue. ISYM says the lowest comps in the area are about $900000.

In the article they state that similar bungalows in the area went for under $900000, so that sounds about right, given that the article states the house has been minimally updated. The one thing that drives up the price somewhat is the 60 foot frontage (at the expense of depth), which is why I suggested $1 million as a possibility, but either way we've got a sale that's way over fair value.

I am not sure why you are still insisting that it went over the fair value... Did you look at MLS listings, C14? There is no bungalow listed for less than 999K (one exception is 799K for a 25ft frontage--half size lot!). And if you look at selling stats, it shows these houses are typically sold for 100%+ of asking price. Considering that it was on Dudley Ave, not far from Yonge, I would say it was a good price in the context of current market. The previous sale of 900K might have been for a narrow-lot house (35-30ft). I do agree that these sale prices are ridiculously high and might get corrected more drastically than in other areas of Toronto.

I am not sure why you are still insisting that it went over the fair value... Did you look at MLS listings, C14? There is no bungalow listed for less than 999K (one exception is 799K for a 25ft frontage--half size lot!). And if you look at selling stats, it shows these houses are typically sold for 100%+ of asking price. Considering that it was on Dudley Ave, not far from Yonge, I would say it was a good price in the context of current market. The previous sale of 900K might have been for a narrow-lot house (35-30ft). I do agree that these sale prices are ridiculously high and might get corrected more drastically than in other areas of Toronto.

300DudleyAvenue.png

The closest house is listed at $999000, but it's in a more private location. It doesn't have as wide a lot, at 53 feet, but I suspect it is deeper, at 115 feet. It also has a complete second suite with separate entrance.

3.JPG

BUT, it's not a bungalow, despite the picture used in the MLS listing. It's actually a backsplit.

8.JPG

I also wonder if it's been on the market for a while, given the layer of snow there. Anyone know when it was listed?

As for the narrow-lot house comment, you might want to direct that to ISYM, but as far as I'm concerned, a narrow-lot house is not a direct comp.

Last edited:
Good try... all these below 999K houses are indeed in C14, but not in the area I mentioned--between Finch and Sheppard, East of Yonge; they are north of Finch. Anyway, I think you got my point that the sold value of the house is not "absurdly high" for the area, but reflects the current (albeit overheated) real estate market state in the area.

From my previous post:
... What does surprise me that the area (NYCC, East of Yonge, between Finch and Sheppard) used to have the lowest median income in the NYCC ....

Freehold is moving upward, condo pricing not in stride and lagging at the moment.

And will likely continue. as others have pointed out; with $150 /sq.ft. premium over resale, I expect new to stagnate even if resale increases slightly on condos and probably there will be some declines in new condo pricing...not overtly but through various discounts....free upgrades, no maintenance for a year....etc.
The reason freehold is moving upward and condos not....simple supply and demand differences between the 2 markets. That said, I believe the upward trend at present is just the usual build up to the spring market. Let's see what happens by year end if we are in fact any higher on a year on year basis because let's face it; this yearly comparison month to same month or to previous month is really not relevan....rather it is yearly performance which really tells more of the story if one is considering an investment...though I grant monthly numbers are important if one is speculating or buying/selling at the time since this will dictate not only partially market psyche but actual value.

Related to ths $1.19 mill sale; I think vz64's comment on post 5170 about sums it up....but that would not make neaarly as good a headline would it. Just once I would like to read something along the following....I am sure it happens but I am sure it does not make it into the papers since realtors and realty associations and developers account I am sure for a lot of ad revenue: House originally listed at $2 million; languished for 4 months; dropped to $1.8 million.....further price reduction to $1.5 million and finally sold at $1.45 for a 27.5% decline from original ask. what we will see if it wa even shown was "sold for 96.6% of asking within 30 days instead of after price reductions and many months languishing on the market.

Good try... all these below 999K houses are indeed in C14, but not in the area I mentioned--between Finch and Sheppard, East of Yonge; they are north of Finch. Anyway, I think you got my point that the sold value of the house is not "absurdly high" for the area, but reflects the current (albeit overheated) real estate market state in the area.
The $999000 listing I mentioned is one block away from that house sold, and is a backsplit, which would be worth more than a bungalow. It's also on a private crescent, and has a complete second suite with a separate entrance. Furthermore, someone else with access to the information on comps within a 5 block radius, says the low comps are at $900000. Compared to $1.18 million, that's an 18% to 31% difference.

Sorry, the burden of proof is on you. Provide the comps that justify the $1.18 price of non-updated bungalows.

House originally listed at $2 million; languished for 4 months; dropped to $1.8 million.....further price reduction to $1.5 million and finally sold at $1.45 for a 27.5% decline from original ask. what we will see if it wa even shown was "sold for 96.6% of asking within 30 days instead of after price reductions and many months languishing on the market.
This happens all the time actually, and they're almost always reported as sold at 97% of asking. So, your analogy here doesn't really hold. In fact, a few years back for a short while there on The Globe and Mail's Real Estate section, there was some obsessive commenter who was going around "debunking" these 97% of asking articles, I think to provide evidence of his belief that the crash was imminent. He'd post the original list price and say it was really 72.5% of asking.

Of course, people just ignored him the market just kept on rising, so after a few posts he just went away.

Last edited:
VZ64, in my opinion the property sold for well over market value. The comparison you are trying to make doesn't apply as the sales over a million in the vicinity were for homes that sit on quieter streets, larger (more bedrooms), some more updated, deeper lots or a combination thereof. I think Eug is correct in that while this lot is not as deep it's wider (7 feet or so)in comparison to many that sold and so perhaps if it is for a quick investment turnaround the intent may be to get approval to squeeze in 3 townhouses because 2 certainly won't be cost effective. One last thing that wasn't stated in the article is that this sale actually took place last month and so new listings are trying to piggyback off that price.

Eug the backsplit is holding offers for later this week.

From my previous post:

Last edited:

Back