Toronto oneeleven Condominiums | 55.47m | 17s | Harhay | Core Architects

^That would help. But, looking at it again, I am reminded of Urban Shocker's term, "carbuncles".

The brick podium is reminiscent of Market Wharf, in fact the whole design concept is (sans tower of course). Nice.

I think Bathurst Street has the best chance of becoming the newest retail high-street in the downtown core, with The Entertainment District, Freedville and Liberty Village, all expanding close by. Not only that but the houses on Bathurst are the most run-down, ugly, neglected properties in Toronto and they're just ripe for redevelopment. It might even become a luxury retail strip near the Queen/King area, with all the upscale condos near by. It's time for a new retail high-street to develop in the core.

It looks like they may be setting up for demo of the old buildings in behind at 525 Adelaide. Stupide question but how do I do a search for the 525 Adelaide thread - I tried advanced search under forum to no avail???

Last edited:
I think Bathurst Street has the best chance of becoming the newest retail high-street in the downtown core, with The Entertainment District, Freedville and Liberty Village, all expanding close by. Not only that but the houses on Bathurst are the most run-down, ugly, neglected properties in Toronto and they're just ripe for redevelopment. It might even become a luxury retail strip near the Queen/King area, with all the upscale condos near by. It's time for a new retail high-street to develop in the core.

Bathurst is extremely boring and rundown, and should by no means what our downtown look like.
Both Bathurst on the west and Jarvis st on the east should be rezoned for large scaled commercial activities. I was wondering whether it is possible to redevelop those neglected buildings on Bathurst. What about those people living in the boring houses?

Bathurst between Lakeshore and Queen is really starting to come into its own, and north of Queen will eventually follow. What do you mean by large scaled commercial activities? That sounds quite unpleasant. You mean Wal-Marts and Canadian Tires and such? If that's what you mean, what a terrible idea. We already have Rio-Can building something that will no doubt suck on the Kromer Radio site.

The thing with Bathurst is that while it hasn't been a particulary nice looking street, it actually travels straight through great neighbourhoods. "Large scaled commercial activities" will harm those neighbourhoods.

^That would help. But, looking at it again, I am reminded of Urban Shocker's term, "carbuncles".

For the past several years we've seen an increasing drift to the carbuncular in our local architecture. Essentially, it's about dismissing the idea that a multi-unit building should primarily express itself as a bold collective entity, offering anonymity to the residents, and trying to fake, or express, the idea of "house", of individuality, of being able to look up from the street and point out exactly where you live, which carbuncle is yours, instead.

A Canadian's home is his Carbuncle.

Bathurst between Lakeshore and Queen is really starting to come into its own, and north of Queen will eventually follow. What do you mean by large scaled commercial activities? That sounds quite unpleasant. You mean Wal-Marts and Canadian Tires and such? If that's what you mean, what a terrible idea. We already have Rio-Can building something that will no doubt suck on the Kromer Radio site.

The thing with Bathurst is that while it hasn't been a particulary nice looking street, it actually travels straight through great neighbourhoods. "Large scaled commercial activities" will harm those neighbourhoods.

you misunderstood me. I don't like Walmart or Home Depot etc on bathurst. Forgive me for my English, what I meant was a lot more retail. Nice restaurants (not KFC or Pizza-pizza type), department stores, boutique stores, with large public space such as trees, fountains and wide side streets. OK, I am only dreaming. No such street even exists in Toronto :)

I like it, though it's a bit top heavy. I think it would benefit from some sort of setback, even a small one, at the top. Either that or carry the brick base up a little further, closer to a 50/50 ratio of brick to glass sections. Overall though, it's interesting, there's definitely potential with this one.

Actually the upper section is set back from the brick podium - as much as four metres on the Adelaide elevation.

Back