934     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 534     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That most of us here are not mayors of major cities who are also alcohol abusing, drunk driving, crack smoking, consorting with criminals, domestic abusing idiots who totally let our private lives affect the job we do for the citizens who pay our wages? I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption.

1) You have no idea what the basis of my objections are; 2) People can think on his level all they like (which, btw, ewwww), but that doesn't mean that every crude thought should be posted on a private message board. I'm sure the mods probably agree.

Anyway, back to the topic...

Huh, we were talking how "crude", or Robbie's level, and the pic in question, I wasn't aware being mayor was a criteria.

You are the one making assumptions, and personal ones. If the mods agree with you then they have or will take the pic down since it is a private board with their rules; you are putting words in their mouths and my mouth.

Are you just upset that people may think differently then you, or do you always have to have the last word?

’14 Bonnie and Clyde

Rob is such an awful person. What can explain his ongoing popularity amongst, say, 1/3 of the population?

I would argue that corralling more and more evidence of his bad deeds (drunken stupors, crack use, boorish behavior, hanging out with criminals, terrible work performance, etc.) is not only redundant at this point, but actually feeds what is making him popular.

His brother called him a ‘rock star’, and there’s something of that in him: the bloated, drugged, larger-than-life Elvis figure who everyone wants to touch before he predictably dies on the toilet.

But I would also cast him as an antihero type, in the vein of Bonnie and Clyde. They robbed and murdered people yet became popular folk heroes. Books, movies, even a musical was made about them. Why? About their fans, E.R.Milner says they, "’consider themselves outsiders, or oppose the existing system’. Bonnie and Clyde represent the ultimate outsiders, revolting against an uncaring system.”

People can get away with less and less in their own lives. You can’t talk on a cell phone in your car. You can’t call groups you don’t like names anymore. You can’t buy light bulbs anymore. You feel like an outsider, trapped in your suburban world with a dull job and a dull life and more obligations than fun. Even ‘insiders’ seem to be trapped in a web of nearly Victorian propriety. An MP spends too much on hotels and room service and has to resign. A senator fudges his place of residence and has his life of privilege taken away.

But lo! Rob, a fat, stupid, dull man from the suburbs with a dull job is breaking all these rules yet polite society can do nothing! The right-thinking opinion leaders still can’t understand how he hasn’t resigned. Anyone else would have slunk away after getting caught doing 1/10th of what Rob has done (see Giambrone). Not only does he not resign, he gleefully shoves his misbehavior in the faces of the sober TV talking heads and newspaper op-ed writers and concerned councilors.

The legendary crack video parallels the photos Bonnie and Clyde took of themselves posing with guns and so forth, which the FBI published in an effort to catch them. “The hideout photos led to the glamorization and creation of legend about the outlaws.”

In Rob we have the glamour of the outlaw, in which we secretly gain our forbidden wish fulfillment.

ddale8 3:59pm via Web
Di Giorgio's latest re Ford: "I think if his older brother had been there it would have been easier to control him.â€

Just about everything Di Giorgio's said about last night has been inadvertently hilarious.

’14 Bonnie and Clyde
In Rob we have the glamour of the outlaw, in which we secretly gain our forbidden wish fulfillment.

And forbidden it is. For me he's the mirror reflecting when I couldn't stop drinking and then behaving badly - I could romanticize where going back would take me (FordLand), but 1 drink would be too many and 100 not enough.

I hate to watch this board argue while we wait for fresh intel. At times our visceral reactions and our anxieties about the caustic effect RF is having on our civic institutions might overpower a sense of common decency in some of us, including myself.

Last edited:
Different Strokes.
I don't get offended by dick jokes (even though I am a Male), and am of the mind that the less taboos (religious/cultural/sexual/etc) the better off for most everyone.

My guess is that the reason you can read the word "fuck" right now rather than "****", is because this board is set up like that by design. There are several "PG" boards that censor their content. Not here, no biggie. It's the price of admission to Rof's latest whereabouts and the aggregated wake of social media.

This is from the Sun:

"Di Giorgio said the mayor stationed himself outside of the lounge and began posing for pictures with people. He continued to voice his displeasure, linking it to the vote, he said.
Di Giorgio added he tried to get into the lounge to see if he could smooth things over and get the mayor inside.
The prominent city councillor, too, was barred and told the only way he could in was if he knew someone inside. Di Giorgio voted in favour of the BMO field expansion.
Later, Di Giorgio said a security official later met with him and the mayor to reiterate there was a special function going on in the lounge.
He also urged Di Giorgio to ask Ford to stop saying he had been barred because of the vote.
“I was told I should be watching the mayor’s behaviour because he was saying things while he was taking pictures and the security people were noticing it,” Di Giorgio said.
“The security person said I should try to get him to cool down.”
Di Giorgio said he passed along the message to Ford, but “it didn’t really register.”

Ha! All right, thread.
Rob and Sandro would meet in the woods for a discrete place to do lines and smoke weed. And though he's known for crack powder coke is his drug of choice.
This reminds me of an elderly Robert Graves explaining the dangers of hallucinogenic drugs by way of the torments of Tantalus. You see,
famous for his eternal punishment in Tartarus. He was made to stand in a pool of water beneath a fruit tree with low branches, with the fruit ever eluding his grasp, and the water always receding before he could take a drink.
Rob's been to a place of bliss he can never revisit. To get all Norm Kelly on you.

Last edited:
Some more insights from Fords friend who I spoke with recently. Rob and Sandro would meet in the woods for a discrete place to do lines and smoke weed. And though he's known for crack powder coke is his drug of choice.

Would, as in they did this in the past or are they still doing it?

Just about everything Di Giorgio's said about last night has been inadvertently hilarious.

Yup, he did Ford absolutely no favours.

I wonder if Di Giorgio made it back to city hall last night before Goldsbie and Dale got there. I don't think they saw anyone else, other than a security guard. I also wonder where Ford is today since we haven't been treated to any selfies.

You can’t buy light bulbs anymore.
I bought light bulbs last week.

I don't get offended by dick jokes (even though I am a Male), and am of the mind that the less taboos (religious/cultural/sexual/etc) the better off for most everyone.
Fewer taboos, not less.

Some more insights from Fords friend who I spoke with recently. Rob and Sandro would meet in the woods for a discrete place to do lines and smoke weed. And though he's known for crack powder coke is his drug of choice.
As in they still do that, or did in the past?

EDIT: I see someone else asked that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back