News   Mar 28, 2024
 147     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 294     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 660     0 

Blue Jays

Syn, I'm gonna say we stop dealing with him. He's just trolling now and really has nothing constructive to add, nor anything remotely decent to counter our points with. The guy has clearly never played a sport in his life (at least not one at any level of significance) so his understanding of how things really work is muddy at best.

Moving on, last weekend I talked to a friend of mine who worked for the Jays and worked with AA and he said the guy is the real deal. Lots of potential, honest, bright and a really good work ethic. I think one of the best things about the guy is his youth and the fact that only a few years ago he was just a fan. So he gets the issues and the frustration found in the Jays fanbase. Hopefully they keep him around when a new President comes in. It'd be a shame to lose a talent like that.

I was looking forward to Anthopolous taking over. Some of the moves that Ricciardi was praised for (like the Aaron Hill contract) were done by Anthopoulos.

It looks like Halladay will be a Philly in the next couple of days.

I'm actually kind of excited about who the Jays could be getting back. Looks like a package of 3 or 4 prospects, some of them rather high end (including a Canadian, Phillippe Aumont). At least the bare cupboard behind Snider will be a bit fuller (plus we'll be getting 9 picks in the first 3 rounds in June). So the future looks a bit brighter after this trade goes through, assuming we're getting who we're rumoured to get.

Also, I'm rather pleased that it worked out this way. It would suck to see Halladay in a Sox or Yankees jersey. At least if he's in the NL he's out of our sight, has a good chance at a World Series and perhaps we get to sell-out the place when he comes to town during inter-league play.

It sounds like a great move to make. The prospects look really strong which will just help us build a great young team. It's obvious even if Roy pitched for us and won 25 games this year, we still wouldn't have made the playoffs. I'm excited.

Apparently Drabek is on the table. If the Jays can get Drabek, Taylor and another prospect they'll have done pretty well for themselves.

I wouldn't mind Drabek replaced with Aumont, who Philadelphia is getting from the Mariners.

ya at first it sounded like Drabek was off the table since the Phillies didn't want to part with him at the trade deadline. But I'm glad to hear his name involved and I agree that I'd rather him that Aumont. There have been a lot of names bounced around (Drunk Jays Fan has been amazing today keeping up with all the news. They had tons of info before any of the beat writers even had the story up). It would be pretty awesome if we ended up with Dominic Brown too... but I don't think we'd end up with him and Drabek.

EDIT: Looks like it's Drabek, OF Michael Taylor and C Travis D'Arnaud.
Phillies will get Halladay and Aumont plus cash
mariners get Cliff Lee.

It looks like we fill some of our needs (a high end pitching prospect, an upgrade at catcher from what we have in our system now and an OF who tore up AA last year and looks like he could be a clean up guy). That's not too shabby really.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why the Jays have to give up, arguably, the best pitcher in the majors AND $6 million to get 3 prospects when (in the other part of the trade) the Phillies are giving up Lee (who they traded for after earlier attempts to ge Doc fell thru....ie he was their second choice at the trade deadline) and no cash for 3 prospects.

If, of course, the trade is as rumoured.

If your issue is the cash, the Jays had to do it to make up the difference in Halladay and Lee's contract for next season. Philly probably said they wouldn't do the deal unless the money was involved. Which is fine. It's only money.

Also, I think we got better prospects than Philly got. Obviously it's hard to tell for sure what the future holds for each player, but Drabek is projected higher than Aumont and Taylor is better than Gillies. It looks like we're swapping Taylor for Oakland's Brett Wallace, which is a solid deal to make too and could cause some other dominoes to fall (like Overbay)

If you just look at just numbers (1 star pitcher, 3 prospects, $6million) then maybe it doesn't make sense but the quality of the players we're receiving is better because we gave up the better pitcher. We essentially took 2 of their top 3 prospects, which is a pretty decent pick up, I think.

If your issue is the cash, the Jays had to do it to make up the difference in Halladay and Lee's contract for next season. Philly probably said they wouldn't do the deal unless the money was involved. Which is fine. It's only money.

Also, I think we got better prospects than Philly got. Obviously it's hard to tell for sure what the future holds for each player, but Drabek is projected higher than Aumont and Taylor is better than Gillies. It looks like we're swapping Taylor for Oakland's Brett Wallace, which is a solid deal to make too and could cause some other dominoes to fall (like Overbay)

If you just look at just numbers (1 star pitcher, 3 prospects, $6million) then maybe it doesn't make sense but the quality of the players we're receiving is better because we gave up the better pitcher. We essentially took 2 of their top 3 prospects, which is a pretty decent pick up, I think.

Agreed. Even though Drabek has met good ol' Tommy John, he came back quite strong last season with the Reading Phillies. Aumont has been setback with arm problems, and although still a very good prospect, is now being projected as a solid relief pitcher, as opposed to being a number 2 starter. Drabek benefits us far more than Aumont ever could.

I am excited for Wallace to come along as well. There is a possibility he could play in the show in 2010 depending on how good his spring is, but regardless, I really do hope he can provide a big bat for us sometime soon to compliment our Hill-Lind duo, and maybe even Snider, if he can turn things around. Certain people would have preferred Michael Taylor over Wallace, and although Taylor is quicker around the bases, I believe Wallace brings us a better bat.

And it looks like the Jays are picking up Morrow from the Mariners for League and "a prospect" (Arencibia maybe?). Another good move.

Trading Roy Halliday...The Blue Jays get perhaps stronger...

Everyone: The trade involving Roy Halliday to the Phillies was quite interesting-I feel they did well getting highly regarded prospects like Kyle Drabek. Jays fans should welcome positive changes for 2010.

The Phillies got stronger by acquiring Roy Halliday but trading Cliff Lee to the Mariners in this deal-I recall reading that Phillies GM Ruben Amaro,Jr. mentioning that he could not afford both high-profile pitchers but by giving up Lee he gets Halliday which makes the Phillies stronger for 2010-not good news for other NL East teams like the Mets.

Thoughts from LI MIKE

Everyone: The trade involving Roy Halliday to the Phillies was quite interesting-I feel they did well getting highly regarded prospects like Kyle Drabek. Jays fans should welcome positive changes for 2010.

The Phillies got stronger by acquiring Roy Halliday but trading Cliff Lee to the Mariners in this deal-I recall reading that Phillies GM Ruben Amaro,Jr. mentioning that he could not afford both high-profile pitchers but by giving up Lee he gets Halliday which makes the Phillies stronger for 2010-not good news for other NL East teams like the Mets.

Thoughts from LI MIKE

Indeed Mike. Doc is an absolute machine and his presence will not make facing the Phillies any easier. If you get the chance to see him pitch against your beloved Mets, I highly recommend you do. I have seen him pitch numerous times during his time in TO and it's incredible. Perhaps one of the most memorable moments was a game against Detroit in April 2007 where he pitched a complete game of 10 inning, 1 run ball. The game was done in just over 2 hours and the Jays fans were out of the Dome before the Raptors game was even finished next door at the ACC.

Any of you guys following the team this season? I've made it to 4 or 5 games and my girlfriend, myself and a couple friends plan on making a road trip to see them play maybe in Boston later in the summer. Hopefully we'll get to check out their AA team in New Hampshire as well and get to check out Cooper, Drabek and Stewart.

The team is very entertaining, and the starting pitching has been top notch. The Morrow for League deal is turning out to be a huge steal and Cecil, Romero and Marcum have been lights out. It'll be interesting to see what AA can do with all those draft picks tomorrow as well.

Last edited:
Any of you guys following the team this season? I've made it to 4 or 5 games and my girlfriend, myself and a couple friends plan on making a road trip to see them play maybe in Boston later in the summer. Hopefully we'll get to check out their AA team in New Hampshire as well and get to check out Cooper, Drabek and Stewart.

The team is very entertaining, and the starting pitching has been top notch. The Morrow for League deal is turning out to be a huge steal and Cecil, Romero and Marcum have been lights out. It'll be interesting to see what AA can do with all those draft picks tomorrow as well.

I haven`t made it to any games yet but I follow the team. I wouldn`t say Morrow for League was a steal though - Morrow has been pretty shaky at times.

Morrow is still really learning to pitch. His arm and stuff is amazing, but he never learned how to control his upper-90s fast ball. Since he's come here they've been working on that and the results are starting to come and the last two starts have been stellar (against the two best teams in the majors too). You can see the progress he's been making. He's 6th in Ks (and that's with a 1 k start last week) and leads the league in K/9. He's really only had two shaky starts out of 12. Fact is, the guy was the 5th overall pick only 4 years ago (first pitcher taken in the draft too and ahead of Lincecum) so his potential is immense. League will never be more than an average middle reliever. Anytime you can get a stud for a middle reliever it's a steal. Not sure why Seattle gave up on him so quickly.

I've been to about 8 or 9 games this year so far. I missed the most recent homestand because of other obligations and vacation, otherwise it would be up to 13 or 14 probably. The team has been really exciting to watch because of all the home runs and surprisingly good pitching we've had, particularly from the starters. Marcum, Romero and Cecil have been spectacular. Morrow has that stuff that jn_12's talked about that can be amazing if he can get the control together.

The last two games were very sad to watch. We'll see how Cecil does tonight, but I'm sure Marcum will bounce back as last night has been his only poor start the whole season. Litch has been called up for Sunday's game although I have some reservations due to his long time away and that I've never found him to be very effective. He has decent stuff but I think management is rushing his return.

The biggest problem I find is our hitting in that it is home run or bust. How many games have there been where all the runs produced came off of home runs? And of all of the home runs, how many are solo shots? We have the most home runs but one of the worst team batting averages. Nonetheless it is really entertaining so far and the future looks promising. I'm going to Philly to see them play at "home" for two games which will be awesome.

Back