Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

A drop in centre will be held Sat March 28 at the Harbourfront Centre, York Quay Centre, Lakeside Terrace, 235 Queens Quay West from 10am to 1pm for final view of the plan change to the Queens Quay from Spadina to Parliament St. This will be a one on one with the team.

A high over view took place last night at the Westin with 300 people in attendant.

The backlash was low than expected even with the idea of making it one way.

Construction will start in the fall of 2010 with work on building 2-3 traffic lanes on the north side. Once this is done, the existing ROW and westbound lanes will be torn up and replace with a new ROW with 2.5-3m platforms. To the west of Spadina, the westbound lane will move to where the ROW is and the ROW will take over the road area.

The existing portal as well the new one between Yonge and Freeland will have an enclosure over them. The sewer line at Yonge St will have to be relocated to allow for the ramp.

Expanded Martin Goodman Trail will be 4.3 m wide with a row of trees between it and the new ROW to the north and a walkway/path to the south.

Grass is plan for the ROW.

Union Loop will be rebuilt in phases and still not a good design nor will it meet future needs.

You will still can put in comments up to June when it will go to council. Plans go to TTC in May for their approval.

Where to put the tour buses is still a big issue.

There will be 9 new streets connecting the QQ to either Harbour St or the lake Shore that are not there now. Various entrance to QQ on the south side will be move or modify.

The York and Lower Simcoe TTC Stops are now one and relocated.

Talk is the light fixtures will be wood including the portal enclosure.

Need a few more washrooms on the waterfront.

A video of what the QQ will look like from Bathurst to Parliament with trees and one without tress

IMG_March-25-09-0001.jpg

IMG_March-25-09-0002.jpg

IMG_March-25-09-0003.jpg

IMG_March-25-09-0004.jpg

IMG_March-25-09-0005.jpg

IMG_March-25-09-0006.jpg

IMG_March-25-09-0007.jpg

IMG_March-25-09-0008.jpg

IMG_March-25-09-0009.jpg

Has anyone else considered any potential downsides to a grass-filled LRT track?

I was just thinking that it might not be such a good idea being so close to other green space. A younger person or a less observant person might overlook this and place themselves in a potentially dangerous situation.

Then again, I might just be full of hot air, I just thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else might see this as an issue.

Maybe they are busy preparing the Gardiner consultation website... it's supposed to be up today.

It was supposed to be up by now.

The Gardiner gardinerconsultation.ca was supposed to have material up on March 14. This included all the boards from March 12 meeting that will be shown to the public.

^^ Thanks for sharing drum118

I'm loving those canopies over the portals!

Reminds me of how badly we need better street entrances to the Subway too... especially along University Ave.

We seem to love radical polarizations at UT...

I don't want 'all action' but six years to landscape a boulevard? Six years to come up with a plan that isn't subpar? At this rate even six years seems ambitious.

As you say, however, the system is broken and/or bogged down in Toronto and this much is evident. Please pardon my incredulity.

Just flipped through this....I gotta side with Tewder here. 6 years for something like this is amazing.

I am not sure what disappoints me more....that this takes 6 years around here....or that we are so accepting of the fact that something like this takes 6 years when someone criticizes that fact....people jump all over him and defend the 6 year process!

Here's what disappoints me: when those who are unhappy with the process criticize it without offer anything more concrete than "it takes too long!" If you are that committed to having the process shortened, please learn about the ins and outs of it, and then get back to us and let us know where efficiencies can be realized. Otherwise, it's just useless complaining.

Here's what disappoints me: when those who are unhappy with the process criticize it without offer anything more concrete than "it takes too long!" If you are that committed to having the process shortened, please learn about the ins and outs of it, and then get back to us and let us know where efficiencies can be realized. Otherwise, it's just useless complaining.

I guess what is unstated in the "useless complaining" is just a sentiment of frustration that things seem to take much longer here than in other jurisdictions and wondering why. As someone pointed out earlier, some cities plan/prepare/build for events as big and complicated in the Olympics in not much more time than this project is going to have taken. If you compare this to our own Olympic experience.....how many of the projects that Lastman/Harris/Chretien promised at that press conference at Front and Bathurst (the ones that would go ahead regardless of our bid success and be ready in time for the 2008 Olympics) are done? People (me included) are just expressing frustration over the speed at which major (and not so major projects) move along.

I have a full time gig so fixing the process involved in getting projects done here is, admittedly, beyond the limits of my knowledge and time. Now, in your role of moderator, if you are saying I am not allowed to express my opinion without being told (in a very thinly veiled fashion) to shut up....just say so, I can take it. ;)

I was just thinking that it might not be such a good idea being so close to other green space. A younger person or a less observant person might overlook this and place themselves in a potentially dangerous situation.

Then again, I might just be full of hot air, I just thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else might see this as an issue.

I could see that as a potential issue with grass, other issues could be the maintenance required such as watering and cutting, as well as its appearance during winter and snow removal.

Darwin will swiftly correct poor parenting in your scenario.

I am sure there will be appropriately signage. And I am sure after the first person gets run over, parents will start being attentive to their kids playing around railway tracks.

Drunks will be a different challenge. But hey, if you are dumb enough to drink and traverse rail tracks then perhaps your genes don't deserve to be propagated.

I could see that as a potential issue with grass, other issues could be the maintenance required such as watering and cutting, as well as its appearance during winter and snow removal.

Sure enough. But it looks awesome. I wish they would do this for all the TC lines in the city. It would really add something to a lot of our drab suburbs.

And is there any plan to finally fix peter st quay? I say just tear up the road and have a bridge across the entire quay instead of only the middle. Over the past year the city has started to neglect its duties of cleaning the water up, and with all the dredging going on lately for the slips, we have a ton of it in the quay at this time. Will have to go see the plans myself on Saturday.

Back