Toronto HighPark Condominiums | ?m | 14s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

Well, this is usually the process if you want to get rid of an old or heritage home and the city usually doesn't allow you.

1. Purchase property
2. If the property has tenants, evict them
3. Apply for a Demolition Permit
4. Demolition Permit is Denied
5. Board Up Houses
6. Let Houses Rot for the Next few years
7. Houses begin to decay, fall apart
8. Because of the poor state of the houses, the city will then grant you a demolition permit.

How many times have we seen this happen in this city?

Happened on McMurrich to a few historic homes. Actually they're still boarded up. They'll come down soon I'm sure. All to make way for what will likely be an ugly condo.

It is an incredible piece of land. Di-rectly across from High Park, between two subway stops, and a ten-minute walk to the shops and restaurants of Bloor West Village. It would be a shame if some hulking, ugly condo was built there. I would think the homes would have some 'heritage' status, no?

If the city had any control over architectural standards, then perhaps this site would be ideal for intensification - the apartment wall lining Central Park in NYC is a site to behold and could work well here. But since the site would likely be developed with yet another box, may as well keep the heritage homes.

Block full of abandoned buildings...

I visited High Park yesterday for the first time and I came across north of the park, immediately across the street a block with every home boarded/abandoned. Is this block slated for demolition? Any development?
I'm hoping citizens of the area can save those homes.

Thanks for a terrific first posting AMT.
I'm surprised that these are all owned by a single owner. I suppose there is no saving these properties. Sad outcome.

No surprise. How often do you find a whole strip of abandoned buildings in Toronto?

There's another strip at the northeast corner of Berwick and Duplex (southwest of Yonge and Eglinton). Rental homes that have been cleared for a potential redevelopment that has gone quiet.

I guess it’s possible that there is some issue other than the ones outlined in the report that is seriously hampering this development. But this is prime real estate so I imaging it’s nothing that money couldn’t overcome eventually. Anyway, even in the unlikely event the owner eventually decides not to redevelop, these houses will have been neglected so long they will probably have to be demolished anyway. Definitely a shame.

I guess it’s possible that there is some issue other than the ones outlined in the report that is seriously hampering this development. But this is prime real estate so I imaging it’s nothing that money couldn’t overcome eventually. Anyway, even in the unlikely event the owner eventually decides not to redevelop, these houses will have been neglected so long they will probably have to be demolished anyway. Definitely a shame.

With the exception of 1844 Bloor Street West which is still occupied, these buildings are vacant and have been boarded up. All 13 of these residential buildings have been rented in the past. The owner has indicated that the tenants in the now unoccupied buildings vacated the premises over the course of 1½ years, from June 2004 to January 2006. A lack of investment and on-going maintenance in the buildings by the owner has resulted in a state of disrepair.

The current owner has been assembling these properties in stages since the 1970s. Available information suggests that many of these buildings have been used for residential rental purposes for a long period of time, both prior to and after assembly by the owner. As such, the buildings have been an on-going part of the City’s rental housing stock.

that's just deplorable ... how can a building deteriote so quickly in 5 YEARS ???

Considering the actions of the owner and that the buildings have been part of the City's affordable rental housing stock at much lower than market rates, I hope the OMB does NOT grant the owner the ability to redevelop.

Too bad the OMB can't force the owner to repair/refurbish the buildings. That should be made as a consequence of willful deglect by the owners.

Too bad the OMB can't force the owner to repair/refurbish the buildings. That should be made as a consequence of willful deglect by the owners.

I agree with you 100%. Letting buildings fall into a state of disrepair has also been used as a strategy for getting permission to demolish of heritage houses.

There was also a strip on Charles Street, just west of Bay. Gorgeous old homes, boarded up and then torn down.

Another just east of Sherbourne, south of Bloor. I know the area is still a bit sketchy, but couldn't they save the houses?

I may work in the condo sales business, but there is nothing I hate more than tearing down history to make room for a glass and steel tower. Aren't there empty lots to build on? Buildings that have no history or stylistic merit?

As for the High Park houses, isn't the main holdup the woman who lives in the eastern one? The crazy one who goes on about new houses being poison?

Back