News   Apr 18, 2024
 669     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Nice. I like the Eglinton/DRL circle line

Thanks, I tried to combine every subway concept I liked into one super line. Does anyone know why the TTC abandoned interlining in the first place? Seems like such a good idea.

I find your map very Toronto-centric. Or at least, ignorant of the west end and the million people who live in Peel Region.

I find your map very Toronto-centric. Or at least, ignorant of the west end and the million people who live in Peel Region.

Yea, sorry, i should have prefaced it by saying "i don't really know much about the 905 and am hence ignoring it." Why do something if you will just do it half assed? If you have suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

Without second/express tracks, that degree of inter-branching would noticeably reduce service quality...the Bloor, Spadina, and Danforth lines don't deserve 1/3 the service that the Yonge line would get.

Once again, my bad. vis a vis bloor/danforth service levels I forgot to include a direct service from Etobicoke - Scarb. At that rate, it should bring Bloor-Danforth to 2/3rd of Yonge levels which seems more or less proportionate.

As to express trains, how feasible is that? I guess it would be impossible on current lines but if we ever did fulfill the manifest destiny of subway construction as far as the eye could see, how hard would it be to implement?

Updated (though no doubt still wrong in places) version:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...8549,-79.360771&spn=0.176541,0.43808&t=h&z=12

I am running outta colors...

Yea, sorry, i should have prefaced it by saying "i don't really know much about the 905 and am hence ignoring it." Why do something if you will just do it half assed? If you have suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

Subway along Dundas from Kipling to Hurontario St (under MoveOntario its LRT); LRT along Hurontario from Port Credit/Lakeshore to Queen St in Brampton. Waterfront West LRT extended to Port Credit/Hurontario. I can't speak for York or Durham Regions however.

while looking through the archives, came across this image.

s0648_fl0049_id0001.jpg

Now that is interesting, especially this Leslie Street Line on there. It looks like it'd have intercepted the Bloor-Danforth at Donlands, then headed straight up to just past Eglinton. Judging from the map, it'd have then headed north-east along the rail corridor to at least Victoria Park and Lawrence. I've never seen any plan for transit in that rail corridor before, rapid transit anyway.

Also interesting is how the Danforth extension was projected to stay under Danforth past Victoria Park. How late in the planning process were they when the TTC decided to use the hydro corridor instead?

Finally, I note some sort of Christie Street subway there as well (that general area at least). I know they originally investigated putting what is now the University Line under Dufferin or Bathurst, but I didn't know they'd ever planned for Christie.

Thanks for that picture. It's very thought provoking.

Really, that's not that much more subway than we have now, but it certainly has the city much better covered. Just having returned from Atlanta, I think there's few things here that are comparable to there, but I suppose the reach of our subway system would be one of them.

Old transit plans are neat not just for thinking about what could have been but in the way they represent a snapshot of where the city was and where it thought it was going.

That Queen line, for instance, was from an era where they wouldn't think twice about razing block after block of what makes us love Queen so much today and replacing it with denser stuff, additional justification for the line. At the same time, they might think you were nuts if you suggested a line be placed further south like Front or Wellington or the rail corridor.

Really, that's not that much more subway than we have now, but it certainly has the city much better covered. Just having returned from Atlanta, I think there's few things here that are comparable to there, but I suppose the reach of our subway system would be one of them.

Adding a Queen and Eglinton subway isn't much more than now?

Well if you add in Sheppard, the Bloor extensions, the YUS extensions into Vaughan than you are getting somewhat closer.

My point is that Toronto doesn't need a ton of subway coverage in order to better connect the city.

That photo shows that Toronto is no different from other cities in its ambition to built a large subway system just after it completed its first segment of subway.

Right now, in the middle of China's subway construction boom, every major city in China has a map like that.

Back