348     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
In the back of my mind, I always thought interlining Sheppard towards VCC made some sense here. In addition, if BD is ever extended to MCC, it would make closing the gap between Don Mills and MCC a bit more palatable.

Of course any such extension eastward would probably be at least 20 years out. The Crosstown and the DRL from Dundas West to Don Mills as well as getting something better on Finch West should have highest priority at this time.

i agree with the drl being number 1 priority the problem is people hate that there is a stubway at sheppard. they want that situation resolved. honestly a short extension to vic park is just going to confuse the issue because when its time for the drl ppl will say we have to finish sheppard first. as a result it seems most productive to finish the sheppard line the cheapest way possible. and when i say finish i also include the western portion because thats what half the debat is about (bridging the spadina with the yonge line). all the money in the world this could be finished as a subway dispite the fact it doesnt make numeric sense. with limited resources is that what we want tho? do we want to finish the line to downsview by subway and keep the transfer at don mills? the transfer is what is most irritating about the line. eliminate the transfer extend the line within 10 yrs will make about 80% of the people happy. i just cant see how keeping a stubway in desperate hopes that one day the line wiol be complete makes more sense. the number one need right now is the drl. ince the drl is done then yonge extension will become the priority. so at best sheppard is thrd on the waiting list. and the waiting list is dang long if each project takes 10 years to complete. so sheppsrd will be looking at extension in 2032, thats the better idea???? btw extending a line to vic park wont eliminate the transfer plus if the drl makes it all the way up to sheppard then you would have to transfer onto the sheppard line at vic park and then two stations later transfer again. id love to hear those complaints.

sixrings and forum,

I honestly have no idea what the right answer to Sheppard is apart from the line needing to connect to Downsview in the West, whether it be LRT conversion or full subway. I am honestly glad that the Sheppard Line is getting more study as it is the one part of Transit City I was at most issue with; we don't need 3 different technologies (bus, LRT, Subway) running along the same corridor.

I don't think DRL needs to be figured out right now - given the amount it will cost, it is imperative to get it right. Sheppard on the other stands on its' own as a EW line.

AoD

i agree with the drl being number 1 priority the problem is people hate that there is a stubway at sheppard. they want that situation resolved. honestly a short extension to vic park is just going to confuse the issue because when its time for the drl ppl will say we have to finish sheppard first. as a result it seems most productive to finish the sheppard line the cheapest way possible. and when i say finish i also include the western portion because thats what half the debat is about (bridging the spadina with the yonge line). all the money in the world this could be finished as a subway dispite the fact it doesnt make numeric sense. with limited resources is that what we want tho? do we want to finish the line to downsview by subway and keep the transfer at don mills? the transfer is what is most irritating about the line. eliminate the transfer extend the line within 10 yrs will make about 80% of the people happy. i just cant see how keeping a stubway in desperate hopes that one day the line wiol be complete makes more sense. the number one need right now is the drl. ince the drl is done then yonge extension will become the priority. so at best sheppard is thrd on the waiting list. and the waiting list is dang long if each project takes 10 years to complete. so sheppsrd will be looking at extension in 2032, thats the better idea???? btw extending a line to vic park wont eliminate the transfer plus if the drl makes it all the way up to sheppard then you would have to transfer onto the sheppard line at vic park and then two stations later transfer again. id love to hear those complaints.

sixrings and forum,

I honestly have no idea what the right answer to Sheppard is apart from the line needing to connect to Downsview in the West, whether it be LRT conversion or full subway. I am honestly glad that the Sheppard Line is getting more study as it is the one part of Transit City I was at most issue with; we don't need 3 different technologies (bus, LRT, Subway) running along the same corridor.

For me, I acutally wanted the sheppard subway extended to the zoo. That would make a straight line and while create a transfer, generate even more riders.

My concern now is that, due to this change in vision once more, nothing will be built in my lifetime.
Unless you were born in the last five years, there's been plenty of transit built in your lifetime. For starters there's the Sheppard subway, there's the Queen Quay underground system, there's the dedicated ROWs for streetcars on Spadina, St. Clair and Lakeshore West. There's Downsview Stn. If you were born before 1985 the Scarborough RT was opened that year.

To suggest that nothing will be built in your lifetime is a crock.

I don't think DRL needs to be figured out right now - given the amount it will cost, it is imperative to get it right. Sheppard on the other stands on its' own as a EW line.

AoD

The DRL is necessary for the province to continue to increase the GO network capacity so could end up on the table much faster than with the city pushing it alone.

AoD

the thing is if the drl doesnt go up to at least eglinton then it wont be relieving any of the yonge line until bloor. in 2012 people are having a hard time boarding the yonge line frim eglinton south. as a result we need to intercept these riders. someone on another thread had the idea of vic park being where the drl goes. i dont have a problem with that outside that it is far east of yonge as a result the line would have to be longer and again wed be advocating extending sheppard. if we use don mills we would be able to go much farther north for the same amount of money. it would also be a good idea if we could get to lawrence and intercept those riders as well and terminate thelawrence bus at leslie.

if we already had the drl the sheppard line may stand on its own. but when we only have limited resources we need to make a priority list.

What I meant is that while we need to move ahead with DRL, we shouldn't plan a full-fledged subway line rashly (besides, we probably can't anyways - considering the need for financing, etc). Things like alignment and such need to be carefully evaluated to maximize the benefit and minimize what must be a very substantial cost.

AoD

Last edited:
For me, I acutally wanted the sheppard subway extended to the zoo. That would make a straight line and while create a transfer, generate even more riders.

the length of line you are suggesting be built would be far cheaper as lrt. it is why i am pro lrt on sheppard. i believe a crosstown route is appropriate there not merely stubs. the reality is that a conversion of sheppard basically makes it identical to eglinton. the parts that need to be underground will be and the parts that make sense above ground will be.

the length of line you are suggesting be built would be far cheaper as lrt. it is why i am pro lrt on sheppard. i believe a crosstown route is appropriate there not merely stubs. the reality is that a conversion of sheppard basically makes it identical to eglinton. the parts that need to be underground will be and the parts that make sense above ground will be.

This is true. But then why not finch west.

My point from the other thread still stands: build a Finch RT in the hydro corridor, and build downtown North York around Yonge and Finch either than Sheppard.
Well, no one would know which plan would've worked out better, since we can't turn back time. :) Beside, downtown North York technically isn't built around Yonge and Sheppard, but rather between Finch and Sheppard. It just happens development begins from south to north in general, as I said on the other thread.

Last edited:
The DRL is necessary for the province to continue to increase the GO network capacity so could end up on the table much faster than with the city pushing it alone.

This would be true if GO intended on implementing reverse-peak electrified service with shorter trainsets, but as it stands now, GO doesn't do regional rail. I remember the other solution being a Sub-Union station with Lakeshore GO tunnel.

I honestly don't think the alternate plan of forcing a transfer at a Bathurst Yard station to a Pape-Exhibition DRL would ever fly.

Last edited:
This is true. But then why not finch west.

what about finch west? ford said after he was elected something along the lines of when we are done sheppard and finch wants subways we will build subways there too. he neglected to mention that a drl and a yonge extension would take priority. so if finch wants to wait until 2050 for a subway thats not wise. the problem is that people like the fords make it sound like a subway can be built everywhere and it doesnt cost that much more. the reality is that many people on these corridors wouod be retirement age before these plans get done. people complain that 2020 is too long for lrts but somehow 2050 is a better option for subways?

finch lrt is a solid plan. it is the lrt which has the most support. it has the ridership today.p and needs relief immediately. to wait for a subway is akin to saying my first car will be a ferrari. wed all love ferraris but in the mean time a lexus seems like a dang good comprimise. unfortunately people have made lrt to be more like a used ford then the lexus it actually is.

While the idea of BD extension to STC is somewhat appealing, I think having the SRT as LRT might be better in the end so that it can connect with Eglinton. If it's cheaper it would also make the future extension to Malvern Town Centre via Centennial College much more palatable.

I thought extension to Malvern is part of the current funded Stinz plan.

If the subway is extended to STC, the SRT could provide service during construction. When completed, the SRT (changed to LRT) could be a separate line that goes from Midland to Malvern, with a connection at STC. This would give the rail corridor back to GO for increased all day service. Some time in the future, this Scarborough line could be extended (as elevated) eastward to Kennedy, Vic Park and maybe to the Don Mills LRT.

I thought extension to Malvern is part of the current funded Stinz plan.
The extension of the SRT to the edge of the Malvern neighbourhood at Sheppard/Markham is in the Stintz plan. The further one-stop extension to Malvern Town Centre was deferred to a post-2020 unfunded Phase 2 while Miller was still mayor. It was the extension to only Sheppard/Markham that city council approved in 2009.

Last edited:

Back