739     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
That's really odd ... wouldn't have guessed that.

Kid's clothing and toy store Jetbaby is opening up soon in the old The Cook's Place spot on Danforth at Logan

Last edited:
People drive to Pennsylvania for this kind of stuff

Indeed. I've seen homemade ads on poles in suburban Toronto for bus trips to Grove City, PA. Grove City is between Erie and Pittsburgh, at least a 4 hour drive (longer since being on a charted bus, you're going to get the fifth degree from US customs agents and on the return trip, the tax-collecting Canadian Border Services delay.

The reason why Pennsylvania is popular is that there's no sales tax on clothing, which there is in New York State. Grove City might be a small town in nowhere, but is located near the I-79/I-80 interchange and a day trip from Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and so forth.

The site plan looks a little interesting.

Halton-Hill_Site-Plan_Colour.jpg

- Some houses are swallowed up.
- Unenclosed mall, and at least it's more compact than that of Waterloo and Grove City. Hence, it will resemble Woodbury Common.
- There are four entrances: just one from Trafalgar, three from Steeles. However, there are only two exits, both of which are along Steeles. Expect long lineups waiting for a left turn at 6 PM on weekends.
- Mall surrounded by parking, just like most suburban malls are.
- Carpool lot and an unused bus loop west of the site which can act as a terminal for the mall: looks like Mississauga, Brampton, and GO (and less likely Milton) can serve this mall.

It's no wonder that Trafalgar & Steeles intersection is being rebuilt from a rural one into a typical dual-left suburban monster. They promised bike lanes on Steeles, but we'll see. The site plan looks like a typical Premium/Prime/Tanger outlet. Nice that there's no sign of any big box retailers. Shovels are in the ground for this one as of this week.

Yeah, they've been working on opening at that location for a while, now. They were around during the Distillery Christmas Market when they kept running out of ice cream.

The stretch of Yonge form a little north of Elignton to Lawrence seems to be struggling a little as of late. A lot of space for lease now. Mexx, which has maybe been open for 1 year now after years of building there amazing store (probably their nicest in the GTA) is closing around the end of May. I always thought there store was far too large (and nice) for the area.

There are maybe a good 5/7 other smaller stores for lease now on the stretch. The largest being the old puma store, it was sitting vacant for a while but they're trying to lease it as two separate stores (on each level).

I know some were interested in the fate of the old Nike store, which turned into a temporary fairwaether, its now a children's clothing store (there are many in the area).

A couple of the older stores seemed to have been leased but no indication by who yet.

I hear Atmosphere by SportChek is taking over the mexx space. does anyone know who is taking the puma?

Great intel on Atmosphere, how did you hear of this?
I do know that the old Puma space has been leased (Jordan Karp did the deal, same guy that leased the Cumberland theatres to Nespresso).

Thanks for the info! I saw the lease sign up on the puma store on monday but it could have been taken down by now.

Was just thinking ... I doubt Atmosphere will do that well ! There are so many sporting stores in the area:
The largest sporting life, with two locations, and higher ground as well!

As I already posted, but now more official...

http://www.jaytexgroup.com/locations-OriginalPenguin.php

Excerpt:

They have some good stuff. I randomly came across one of their stores a few years ago in Chile. I didn't speak Spanish and the clerk didn't speak English, but we both knew enough Frenh to have a conversaion. Their items have been available at a few places around the city in the past few years but quantities are always limited.

Back