Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I think this must be an error. The picture makes no mention of an underground LRT station at Finch West. Given that the Finch West LRT has some chance of being built, whereas Jane LRT was a flawed proposal that has zero chance of being built (it would have been in mixed traffic for half its length), it seems unlikely that the TTC would waste money building a provision for an unfunded Jane LRT at Steeles West.

I think this must be an error. The picture makes no mention of an underground LRT station at Finch West. Given that the Finch West LRT has some chance of being built, whereas Jane LRT was a flawed proposal that has zero chance of being built (it would have been in mixed traffic for half its length), it seems unlikely that the TTC would waste money building a provision for an unfunded Jane LRT at Steeles West.

The Jane LRT stop at Steeles West was shown to be a surface transfer connecting with the Subway, back in 2008. Since the roadway is very wide around the Steeles West Station, I don't see that changing much should the Jane LRT came back under some future mayor. The Steeles West Station has a prepaid TTC bus terminal (automatic entrance) on the south side of Steeles Avenue at the south-east corner with Northwest Gate, for TTC buses, and a unpaid YRT bus terminal (main entrance) on the north side of Steeles Avenue. The station itself runs diagonally connecting the two terminals, so have a third terminal (prepaid transfer) for the LRT in the middle of Steeles Avenue is possible, because the roadway is very wide and the property around the station is currently fallow.

It's not an error, the TTC website says the same thing. It's a newspaper graphic, it's likely riddled with omissions; for example, it doesn't mention at all the work around Downsview station, particularly the new connection just south of Downsview station to Wilson yard, which is the only part of this project that most riders will really see at the moment.

The TTC website for Steeles West station clearly says "There are two concourses, one at each end of the station, allowing utilities and future underground Light Rail Transit tunnels to cross over the top of the station."

This is clearly not a description of Finch West, where the station is just north of Finch, so there are no tunnels running over the station. If you look at the Finch West conceptual design from early 2010, the knockout panels to the LRT are on the south edge of Finch West station, and the section showing the LRT platforms doesn't have the station underneath but the subway tunnel itself (with a track-crossover below the LRT platform).

The Steeles West final design from early 2011 shows two concourses on either side of Steeles, with a lot of space above the platform to put things. No mention of LRT, but that was written right at the beginning of the Ford/Stintz administration, so no surprise there.

Maybe not a subway to Wal-Mart

I have heard a rumour from a SmartCentres lessee that the Wal-Mart near Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station will close within the year, and the building razed. Supposedly the City of Vaughan has been pushing SmartCentres (the land owner) to replace it with something more fitting in time for the station's opening.

Wal-Mart has a new store near Wonderland, so this seems likely to me.

Can anyone corroborate it?

I have heard a rumour from a SmartCentres lessee that the Wal-Mart near Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station will close within the year, and the building razed. Supposedly the City of Vaughan has been pushing SmartCentres (the land owner) to replace it with something more fitting in time for the station's opening.

This doesn't surprise me. Low value land uses in Toronto like big box stores are going to be replaced with higher value land uses like condos in the future. Once the Eglinton LRT is built, I would expect that large chunks of the Golden Mile area will be torn down and redeveloped. There is a massive condo planned at Eglinton/Pharmacy which will replace an industrial building for example.

Doesn't need any corroboration, that rumor is correct. The master plan for downtown Vaughan doesn't show the Walmart, nor does it show the big Caterpillar complex just south of the station. A friend of mine, his design firm is in Vaughan, told me that was the exact same chatter that's been going around in his office, that land will be rezoned and redeveloped. There is a new Walmart being built at Major Mackenzie and Weston Road, just north of the current location.

Though all the hotels that have been going up in the area now make sense.

It would be beneficial to have something neighboring the station on or sometime close to opening day. Rather than have the station sit alone on an empty plot for years while the city waits for development.

Wilson station is arguably much worse.It has 3 parking lots surrounding it and then when someone decided to build something they made a cosco, home depot and best buy big box store.

Wilson station is arguably much worse.It has 3 parking lots surrounding it and then when someone decided to build something they made a cosco, home depot and best buy big box store.

The big box stores are at the end of the Downsview Airport runway and it's unlikely that you could build much else there.

That doesn't excuse 2 of the 3 parking lots, however.

The big box stores are at the end of the Downsview Airport runway and it's unlikely that you could build much else there.

That doesn't excuse 2 of the 3 parking lots, however.

cant build 5 floor condos? anyways wilson has an abandoned bus bay as well... more wasted space.

One of the parking lots at Wilson is to be redeveloped, specifically the southeast lot off Tippet Road.

The abandoned bus terminal has been repurposed as the subway signals facility.

One of the parking lots at Wilson is to be redeveloped, specifically the southeast lot off Tippet Road.

The abandoned bus terminal has been repurposed as the subway signals facility.

I realized the parking lots are being developed but it took forever to happen. I wish the cosco, homedepot, best buy Site could be demolished to make room for a NFL stadium.

Back