Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

ab64d94e.gif

i'm really looking forward to when they finally finish the top. its going to rock!

If there is one building that justifies being called "iconic" in this boom, it's this. It stands out above the sea of grey aA monotony, people know it, recognize it, and the "normal" people I have spoken to (ie not skyscraper freaks like us on forums) love it.

You can like this building all you want. However, spare me the "plain folks" appeal. Unless you are ready to back up your statement with real numbers and a tidy, objective definition of what is meant by "normal," you should withdraw your remarks and just refer to your own opinion.

As for "iconic," that is an adjective that relates to the word "icon." Someone should start explaining exactly how this building is an icon. It being an icon and you liking it are really two separate things. That should be clear.

Iconic does not necessitate good or bad, it is an icon if it is easily recognized, perhaps therefore it will become an icon in time. It probably shouldn't really be called iconic if it is only a few months old however. That building in Pyongyang is iconic, even if it looks like crap, and still has a crane stuck at the top of it. Whether or not you like Trump, it may become iconic if it is memorable, for good or bad reasons.

Perhaps "sub-iconic" status is conceivable, where a building does not attain that supreme status of being a symbol of a city, but is still more memorable than the average building of its type in a city.

Iconic does not necessitate good or bad, it is an icon if it is easily recognized, perhaps therefore it will become an icon in time. It probably shouldn't really be called iconic if it is only a few months old however. That building in Pyongyang is iconic, even if it looks like crap, and still has a crane stuck at the top of it. Whether or not you like Trump, it may become iconic if it is memorable, for good or bad reasons.

there's no crane on top of the hotel anymore, actually.

Is "iconic" everything?

Besides, there's stuff in the making (like Libeskind's L Tower) that has equal claim to break from "grey aA monotony"; to say nothing about Marilyn in Mississauga. What Trump has going for it is that it's tall, it's downtown, it's "fancy", and it's Trump. But there's more than that to iconic urbanity.

Besides, I suppose said *harrumph* "normal" people are the sort who'd prefer the grotesque original Kirkor design for the site...maybe even over the T-D Centre...

how about "unique"

Much better in my opinion. For good or for bad, it's unique - like pretty much every other tower downtown. Every time someone goes on about Trump being "iconic," it reads like some unintended veneration for the man (or possibly not so unintended).

I wonder if that big curved feature cap on the dome is going to eventually be carried all the way down the corner of the tower. It'll look kinda funny if it just stops at the bottom of the dome

Back