News   Mar 28, 2024
 365     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 365     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 712     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

Steve Munro even said the following:

"I believe that the shots that have been published suit the agenda of the anti-St. Clair and, by extension, anti-Transit City factions who seek to discredit what the TTC is doing by any means possible."

Well, he wrong since I started this as I'm not an anti-St Clair.

I discredit TTC for it's narrow thinking and the City for pro-traffic. The same can be said how the whole project was handle.

No matter what way you want to cut it, this ROW is a poor design as well the street.

I support TC.

If one walk Sheppard Ave E from Meadowvale to Markham Rd, they will see transit will work on the north side of the street better and more safer than the centre of the road. It will be straight 100% except where a centre platform is used. I have 700 before construction photo's for the whole route.

Even on Finch, one side of the road can work in places.

The same can be said for Eglinton from Weston Rd to 427.

Lets see what TTC and the city have to say after a platform is taken out with riders on it on these roads that have a higher speed limit than St Clair. Wychwood has already lost one that has yet to go into service.

If Steve, the City and TTC thinks a larger company can do a better job than the contractor that did this phase, I have a bridge for sale.

If you need more manpower, you put a call into the union hall for them. I just have to point to Phase III and the section under construction for Phase IV as both were/are being done by Dufferin Construction, a large contractor. Both phases had their share of issues and delays.

Well, he wrong since I started this as I'm not an anti-St Clair.

We all read the National Post article that was published with the photo.

You didn't publish them to this forum with that purpose but National Post certainly put it in that light when they published to a much wider audience.

In case you weren't introduced to it early; Welcome to Politics :)

Looks like some angry person responded to Steve's words by referring to him and TTC as being obsessed with LRT's everywhere

Last edited:
I don't think Steve necessarily is saying that drum is part of the anti-LRT coalition but rather that the photos can be used in the certain context that promotes anti-LRT ideals.

It's interesting how Howard Moscoe, in the Global News interview, was speaking against the TTC and the construction operation, while it was under his reign as the grand poo-bah that the ROW was planned.

It's interesting how Howard Moscoe, in the Global News interview, was speaking against the TTC and the construction operation, while it was under his reign as the grand poo-bah that the ROW was planned.

His beef isn't with how it was planned but with how it has been built.

He wants Tory or Smitherman or whomever the next mayor is to give him his old job back because, and I paraphrase, `something like this would never have occurred under my watch`.

No doubt that the changes in grading will introduce parallax errors. It would be interesting to get an overhead view of the area in question.

Using the correct lens, camera positioning, and lighting one can create wider shoulders on a man or larger breasts on a woman... or larger shoulders on a woman or larger breasts on a man, for that matter.

Don't believe everything you see in photos or drawings.
9jkvps.jpg

I'm against Transit City, but I would never use the quality of the trackwork as a sleight against the program. It's just as possible that the city could mangle a BRT project (in fact, they have: no signal priority on the York U-busway, especially at the Dufferin jughandle, is a gross oversight) or a subway project, as they could laying the rails of a streetcar ROW. This is an engineering problem, not an inherent flaw of LRTs. The politicization of this by the anti-TC crowd, which I generally side with, frankly stinks and it'll just end up hurting out cause in the long run.

One thing is so perfectly clear though...

Is that people really need to improve their grammar skills. Getting tiresome reading spelling mistakes and sentences thrown together in ways that are confusing at times....... And this is from someone who has poor grammar skills.

On Steve Munro's site there is are photos of the route. It looks like the TTC could have done better, mainly they shouldn't have chosen centre poles and the changes in grade when raising the tracks above the street and lowering it back down at the intersection seems over done. If this was transit priority wouldn't it make more sense to raise the street at intersections rather than lower the tracks? In any case without the zoom lens the route seems usable.

What is the major differences between these two photographs?

IMG_dec-01-09-0038.jpg

fo1568%5Cf1568_it0248.jpg

The second one has NO LEFT TURN lanes. Left turn lanes are the major cause of the shifting of the tracks. Get rid of the left turn lanes and then the tracks can be straightened to the way they should be.

Also note that the original right-of-way had center poles and no concrete.

Back